PDA

View Full Version : New advanced underwear bomb plot

Hotel Tango
8th May 2012, 10:41
BBC News - US 'foils new underwear bomb plot' by al-Qaeda in Yemen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17985709)

I guess the Department of Knee Jerk Reactions will now ban air passengers from wearing underwear! :hmm:

Note that they're not even sure if it would have been picked up by the new body scanners!

Load Toad
8th May 2012, 11:09
Good excuse to crank up the fear factor just before the Olympics.

PAXboy
8th May 2012, 12:43
When the report was first on the BBC web - they used a picture of someone inside the new millimetre wave scanners. Except that they were not involved as the 'plot' was detected by the old fashioned means of quiet foot plodding. See this from the article:
Reports say no target had been chosen and no plane tickets purchased by the time the alleged plot was foiled.Officials say there was never any risk to the public.
Happily for the US gvt, not many people will know that. :hmm:

DaveReidUK
8th May 2012, 16:45
I guess the Department of Knee Jerk Reactions will now ban air passengers from wearing underwear!

They might well have a vested interest in doing that for a brief period.

MathFox
8th May 2012, 20:57
BBC News - US 'foils new underwear bomb plot' by al-Qaeda in Yemen

CIA+FBI: believe us :*

CIA+FBI: trust us! :}

Piltdown Man
9th May 2012, 06:49
I'm pleased that this one device has been seized so that no innocent people will end up being hurt. But you do have to ask the question, what exactly are the security people looking for at our airports? Their current systems, training and staff mean that they can only follow the detect the most simplistic, crude devices carried by the most obvious of perpetrators. Of the (very few) tests I have witnessed, they normally miss something. When, oh when will someone be honest and tell the rest of the travelling public that their security is only marginally enhanced by the expensive (£15-£20/passenger), ridiculous charade we call "Security." It is not until we have joined up systems that we will have the faintest of chances of combatting the threat posed by terrorists.

Bealzebub
9th May 2012, 07:28
This from SKY News:

The man chosen by al Qaeda's affiliate in Yemen to blow up a US-bound airliner was a double agent who infiltrated the group and volunteered to carry out the suicide attack, US and Yemeni officials say.
The agent, who was apparently working with the knowledge of both Saudi intelligence and the CIA, escaped Yemen with the sophisticated bomb and delivered it to foreign intelligence authorities, according to reports.

He is now said to be safe in an unidentified country where he is being debriefed.

:rolleyes:

radeng
9th May 2012, 08:31
I thought at first that they had found someone who had an unfortunate follow through after a particularly strong curry!

ExXB
9th May 2012, 09:31
I do wonder if a plot would have existed if the 'double agent' hadn't approached the black-hats saying "I'll blow myself up, I will, pretty please give me a bomb ... please ...."

I suppose that in the future that all 'volunteers' will have less success and that they will have to recruit their own martyrs. This is probably a good thing.

Pegpilot
9th May 2012, 10:26
Apparently ths new product Lifts and Separates like never before....

MathFox
9th May 2012, 10:32
I do wonder if a plot would have existed if the 'double agent' hadn't approached the black-hats saying "I'll blow myself up, I will, pretty please give me a bomb ... please ...."

The only thing the CIA needs now is a bomb-"producing" plant for an endless supply of underwear plots! :rolleyes:

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
9th May 2012, 22:44
Hold on a second. If the bomb is around his tickle tackle........what's he supposed to do with all those virgins waiting for him in paradise????? :eek:

"Premature detonation.......don't you hate it when that happens?" :}