PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into flying

harrythepigeon
8th May 2012, 08:13
Hey guys,

I am a private pilot that has not flown in a loooong time, about 5 years now and I want to get back into the flying, just casually on weekends etc.

I have a PPL with a night rating and Multi - Engine endorsement.

I have been out of the loop for a while now and was just wondering if someone with some experience can tell me what I need to do to get back into the swing of things. I know my medical has well expired, what about ASIC, getting current again?? etc. etc.

Are my night rating and Multi engine endorsement still valid?

Thanks

Harry.

NIK320
8th May 2012, 08:55
None of those expire so to speak.

You will need to do a biannual flight review before flying PIC and renew your medical and get an asic or avid. BFR is general PPL flight test ground stuff, general handling and a short nav flight (1 hour ground, 2 hour flight). Some dual training prior to that would probably be beneficial.

Night rating needs a 1 hour flight at night dual.

The multi doesn't need anything besides general PPL currency, however some dual training on engine failure on takeoff and some general asymmetric would probably be beneficial given the time frame you mentioned.

Jack Ranga
8th May 2012, 09:23
5 years is nothing as far as the practical side goes, I had a 10 year break at one stage and was circuiting within thirty minutes :ok:

The biggest changes, as always, are procedures (cos nobody will leave good enough alone :ugh:)

VFG's off the CASA website, actually lots of stuff off the CASA website, start googling :ok:

Lancair70
8th May 2012, 09:31
As Nik said.
I had almost 14yrs without yelling clear prop. Got my medical current and got an ASIC applied for, got it 2 months later went and did a BFR in the morning and was back in a C182 flying skydivers that afternoon. The actual piloting an aircraft is like riding a bike ie: you dont forget how to fly. I asked for a very thorough BFR, and got it. I happily paid for 2 flights of an hour each to refresh emerg procedures etc as well as a good ground testing/refresher on new/old regs' etc.

Get back up there you will not regret it.

AvEnthusiast
8th May 2012, 10:00
But when you have a CPL and don't exercise the privileges when are you no longer current? or till what time can you exercise thee privileges of PPL with that? And will your previous flying experience be counted to do recurrent for CPL?

NIK320
8th May 2012, 10:40
PPL and CPL have the same requirements.

BFR, medical and asic/avid and your good to go.

If you have a CPL and dont use it commercially, you still have a CPL.

jas24zzk
8th May 2012, 14:25
TVSA in melb used to run theory refresher courses. They were cheap and usually ran with 6 heads to keep the 1 on 1 time up.

IIRC it was 5 weeks about 2 hours of the stuff you should know, and 1 week of stuff that may have changed and you weren't current with.

Handy stuff for a pilot wanting to get back into it after a break.

VH-XXX
8th May 2012, 20:47
BFR is now referred to as an Aeroplane Flight Review unless I am mistaken.

Nobody here does a biannual and they never did!

Biannual is TWICE a year, Biennial is once every two years.

AvEnthusiast
12th May 2012, 06:07
I think biannual proficiency are for commercial operations and guys in Genav they only need to carry out proficiency check once in two years

aeromatt
13th May 2012, 13:40
I was in exactly the same boat. I have a PPL/NVFR/ME but hadn't flown in 7 years. Got the medical and ASIC sorted and got back into the air. Ive just finished a tailwheel endorsement and looking forward to aeros and getting my CPL.

Whilst the tailwheel stuff challenged me, I jumped into a c172 and it came back to me like riding a bike. The biggest change for me was the change from GAAP to class D

harrythepigeon
30th May 2012, 04:57
thanks for the help guys.

Further to my question, do flight crew licences still look the same as they did when mine was issued in 2006? The old paper style? Or do I need to get an updated one??

cheers, been out of the loop for a while...

seconds
30th May 2012, 05:30
Licence still looks the same. Since CASA decided to charge $25 for a reprint, I think you will find that a large number will still have a licence from 2006. :E:E

If you looking for any cheap gear to help you get back into flying check out SecondHandPilot.com.au (http://www.secondhandpilot.com.au)

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th May 2012, 06:05
I am surprised that people have to ask these questions here!

PPL or CPL the requirements are the same - valid BFR (or equivalent) and valid medical.

Or have I missed something?

Dr :8