PDA

View Full Version : Where will the middle east be and why......!

fluffy5
7th May 2012, 13:52
I put some very small input into this middle eastern forum, as I am a helicopter pilot, that has flown in the middle east for many years/ military/ government..... They are all very special.
As flying a helicopter we have such a short range compared to a big plank..... I.e what you boys fly at Dubai, Abu dhabi or Doha, cannot possibly name the companies as fear of being taken to court.
Anyhow why was the middle east became so popular with aviation ?
I some how remember Baharain many years ago was the stop off point for many airlines, was this for more fuel or crew change, or both.
Excuse my ignorance of not being a plank pilot, but what will happen in the advancement of aircraft that do not require to stop because of fuel....
Why can't I fly from new York to Sydney without a change over in Dubai..... Why ?
Is this why the oil rich states are plowing so much money into aviation to maintain control so people have to come?
Just some understanding if that I was booking a flight in new York and direct flight to Sydney took me 5 hours, (in the future with the advancement of aircraft) why oh why would I want to go through Dubai for change over.....

I probably think that their is some basic answer, and wholly open to the most silly ones myself.

Fluffy

IndAir967
7th May 2012, 14:32
Why can't I fly from new York to Sydney without a change over in Dubai..... Why ?

Its definitely not about New York to Sydney.. I dont see as many connections on that route unless a Dubai stop over is intentional. Be it EK, (XX) based out of an airport 140 kms from DXB or QR are all carriers connecting the South Asian & African Countries with rest of the world. As long as their national carriers are not connecting these countries directly, Emirates will not have a problem.

flying lid
7th May 2012, 17:37
They are a lucky bunch here in the Middle East. A. They happen to have a large conglomeration of dead dinosaurs muck (oil) under the ground and B. they happen to be within a suitable refuelling distance between civilised countries. (Hence the Middle bit).

Sums it up.

I fly regularly Manchester - Bangkok with family. There are no direct flights from MAN. It's either change at LHR (crap) or Frankfurt etc, (2 hr flight) still with a 12 hr or so onward flight.

I have a choice of several decent airlines to the Middle East from MAN, all with good connections on to BKK (and many, many other places). A 7 hr flight, 2 hr break for a rest / strech legs / bit of shopping etc followed by another 6 hr flight. Beleive me, that is heaven rather than a 12 hr flight with kids. Good, new airports at Abu Dhabi & Dubai also.

MrMachfivepointfive
8th May 2012, 04:46
And you forget the dynamics of a mid point hub as a destination multiplier.
There may only be 20 people (I am inventing those numbers, okay?) who want to go JFK-SYD at any given day. No economics for a direct flight.
But you will easily find another 280 who want to leave JFK for DEL, BNE, KUL, CGK ... Fill up your 777, hub through the Middle East eh voila! Money in the kitty.

Kittty125
8th May 2012, 06:56
Why thank you :*

checcker10
8th May 2012, 09:48
Luck would have the Mid East smack in the middle of the populated world.
Hub and spoke works very nicely from there.
4hrs from the Gulf is 1 billion people looking to travel either away or visit home. China ain't to far either and they don't wanna go to europe, ain't no cash there.

Plus labour is cheap and they are sitting on piles of cash!! That helps.....;)

Alconguin Crusader
8th May 2012, 12:38
Labor is beyond cheap. Most middle eastern airlines have labor costs between 10-15%. Compare that with European airlines that have 30-40% and it is comical to try and compare the two airlines. In addition to a non-existent government regulating agency there is no way for the middle eastern airlines not to make money.

Plazbot
8th May 2012, 16:13
Get a map with the ME in the middle and have a look. Pretty much any two points on the planet, bar perhaps Pacific Islands and Un Zud are in range to be linked with one stop in the pit and they have the cash to buy their own big jets to make an airline to exploit that. Sydney is something like 15 hours one way, LA about the same in the other and everything else is between.

40&80
8th May 2012, 18:36
Reference post number 8
The exception proves the rule...Gulf Air seems to have found a way to lose money...any ideas how they manage it?

Techwavemarketing
10th May 2012, 04:11
The future for Dubai is tourism, that could be one explanation