PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Caravan = Made in China..??

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th May 2012, 10:57
From AvWeb,

The Caravan is about to be assembled in....China....well, for local consumption anyway....

"Cessna Caravans Final Assembly In China.

A "strategic agreement" between Cessna and the China Aviation Industry General Aircraft Company Ltd. (CAIGA) will see Caravans completed in China for sale to the Chinese market, Cessna announced Thursday. Cessna says the agreement advances a framework set in March that opens markets to the manufacturer that otherwise would remain out of reach. Under the agreement, Cessna Caravans will be built in Kansas and sent to Shijiazhuang, China, for final assembly and sale in China. Cessna expects China "to be one of the largest general aviation markets in ten year's time," and that "the versatility of the Caravan makes it a great fit" for the Chinese market."

Maybe there will be a few jobs going until the Chinese get their pilots trained up.....or, are they 'ahead of the game', even as we speak..??
:) :}

jas24zzk
7th May 2012, 12:27
China is doing well.

Sure there is still some cheap CRAP, coming out, but the old rule of you get what you pay for applies most times. The odd balls is the Cheap stuff that is actually good quality.

Take the Great Wall cars for example. I've worked on a couple of the V240 dual cab utes.
They are CLEARLY Mitsubishi inspired (licence built or otherwise...i won't comment on that). They are defo older Mistu technology, but that does not detract from where they are at.

I'll call the original hippo eyed one the Series 1, and the newer normal model the series 2. The difference to the observer of the difference between the S1 and S2 is only the front panels. To someone working on them, the differences are VAST! Under the shiny white paint (yet to see a great wall on the road any other colour) they have done a lot to correct the many minor issues the series 1 had in terms of quality of construction, ease of maintenance and issues relating to poor manufacture. The wiring looms a better secured, with plugs installed for ease of maintenance, the suspension is better designed so that when you have to pull it apart to replace a bush you do not need to pull half the car apart. (read they reversed the bolts and caged nuts)

After a falcon, anything mitsubishi is my 2nd favourite cars to work on....as a manufacturer, I guess mitsu get the top vote for repairability.
If Great Wall continue on this path, they will offer the market a great product.

As a side, my old man purchase a new chainsaw...yinese made. 56cc 3 foot bar...not a toy!. 200 bucks!. the saw is clearly a Husqvarna rip off. After the first use, when we were cleaning we identified an issue where the air filter just didn't quite fit correctly. Upon returning the item, dad was given a new saw no questions asked, but the case had been modified by the supplier to permit the filter to be fitted correctly. As dad had registered the Saw for warranty, about a month ago he got a factory recall for a replacement Filter and FREE service.
When he got it back we pulled it down to check. New filter that actually fits an unmodified case, NEW bar, and NEW chain!

The chinese are rapidly learning that we want good stuff cheap, and ARE backing up their warranties.

As for China building crashna's. I wouldn't fear that at all. Cessna have a reputation to keep, so you can guarantee that Cessna will be heavily involved in the QA...and we know China CAN build aeroplanes.....look at all the nanchangs floating about.

baswell
8th May 2012, 01:49
Will be interesting to see what they classify as "final assembly". I am assuming it's more than just putting the wings on.

And if they can ship a kit from Wichita to China, can they ship one to my garage!? ;)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th May 2012, 02:10
I gue$$ anything i$ po$$ible.....

How would U con$truct a jig, or do U ju$t want it 'wing$ orf..?

:ok:

LeadSled
8th May 2012, 02:45
Folks,

It's not "only" the C 208, the big news is the program to initially assemble one or more of the Cessna mod size jets in China, moving gradually to manufacture of airframe major structures.

Don't forget, the Flycatcher is completely built in China.

What's the betting that a Chinese group makes a bid for Hawker Beechcraft, now they are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Tootle pip!!

43Inches
8th May 2012, 03:46
Airbus has an A320 final assembly plant in China and Embraer has a production facility that manufactures ERJ types through Harbin. The Chinese have been manufacturing aircraft for years, mostly copies of or modified Russian types.

dhavillandpilot
8th May 2012, 04:21
Does this mean that you will see Cessna caravans on the "Silk Road"

Pinky the pilot
8th May 2012, 05:21
They could probably also build updated 400 series Cessna and Pa-31s of a reasonable quality and a damn sight cheaper (read actually affordable) as well.

The existing above mentioned piston twins are now getting very dated and in the not too distant future will have to be replaced. With what?:confused:

superdimona
8th May 2012, 10:41
Gotta wonder how long until the Chinese make X aircraft for Cessna, then keep the production line running and make a few more for themselves.

Howard Hughes
8th May 2012, 10:50
Perhaps there will be cheap Chinese knock offs, Chessna, or Beachcraft anyone?;)

baswell
8th May 2012, 10:53
They could probably also build updated 400 series Cessna and Pa-31s of a reasonable quality and a damn sight cheaper (read actually affordable) as well.
You mean just like the SkyCatcher is much cheaper and more affordable than comparable LSAs because it is made in China? Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

I think the words you are looking for are "more profitable". :)

baswell
8th May 2012, 10:55
How would U con$truct a jig, or do U ju$t want it 'wing$ orf..?
I am looking for the quick build kit, barely 51%. :ok:

training wheels
8th May 2012, 11:45
This is China's very known regional jet, the ARJ21 (http://english.comac.cc/products/rj/pi2/index.shtml) .. it looks very much like the DC9 / MD90 due to the fact that China was licensed to produce the MD90. The company apparently did not return the tools used to produce the MD90 at the end of the licensing contract, so that's why it looks very much like the MD90. LOL.

Howard Hughes
8th May 2012, 11:48
Looks more like a F100 to me!;)

training wheels
8th May 2012, 13:13
Looks more like a F100 to me!;)

Here's a better photo of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:COMAC_ARJ21_Gu.jpg) .. definitely a DC9/MD90/717 copy!! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:COMAC_ARJ21_Gu.jpg

Sunfish
8th May 2012, 21:20
China took delivery of Two Zenith CH750 kits some months ago - photograph on the Zenith website.

Watch for a $6990 knockoff of the Zenith coming to a Bunnings near you.

Pinky the pilot
10th May 2012, 05:20
I think the words you are looking for are "more profitable".

That too, baswell.:) Can't imagine the Chinese doing anything unless it was profitable.:hmm:

baswell
10th May 2012, 09:50
I am thinking more about Cessna's profitability here! :)

And every other company that makes their .... in China.

A (Chinese!) friend from the UK, when here for the fist time, asked why it's called "Manchester". "Well, because all linens are made in Manchester!" "Shouldn't ALL departments be named China now, then?" :suspect:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
10th May 2012, 10:19
And Mr Bas,

Why is it 'all' called 'China'...??....even when it was 'made in England'..??
as the 'finest Bone China' used to be..??

Was it really made from bones..??

Me Mum's favourite cuppa.....
:):)

Rich-Fine-Green
10th May 2012, 18:58
Lets not forget other recent aviation aquisitions by China:

- Cirrus Aircraft

- Continental Engines

There is no indication at this time that the above works will move to China - however, if Cessna is willing to allow C208's to be 'assembled' in China, one can only speculate that we may one day see Cirrus Aircraft and Continental Engines also 'assembled' in China too.

NZFlyingKiwi
11th May 2012, 07:11
Then it can have this label, as seen on our 162. :)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/NZFlyingKiwi/Cessna162MadeinChina.jpg

Flyingblind
11th May 2012, 09:50
Sorry guys no links to any aviation EOM's (yet) but I did read in a recent Business Magazine that several US based companies are moving back to the good ol' US of A.

Seems the growth in Chinese wages (and other business costs) etc are not proving to be the cash cow envisioned for some companies.

Something to be said for high unemployment and a receptive State Tax Office to get ones business back onshore.

Multinational manufacturers: Moving back to America | The Economist (http://www.economist.com/node/18682182)