PDA

View Full Version : License Verification Process (obtaining an FAA PPL using a CAA PPL) Help please!

Bearcat F8F
7th May 2012, 00:16
Guys, I was wondering if someone who has done this could help me out.

I know that I need to send 2 forms away to the CAA for license verification. I was told by someone that this is all you need to do and the CAA will contact the FAA themselves and it takes up to 3 weeks for this process.

However, on some website I found info suggesting that I need to send an application form to the FAA directly. And the verification process can take up to 90 days!!! And after that another 2 weeks before you can make an appointment at the FAA Flight Standards District Office to pick up your license!

Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

So I'm curious, do I need to send this application away to the FAA along with the other 2 forms to the CAA? Looks like a PITA. Most importantly this 90 day thing could really screw things up for me as it will mean I wont get my FAA PPL before the end of summer! :{

ZuluZuluAlpha
7th May 2012, 01:35
I think ou send them separately, FAA one on its own(fax is faster) & CAA one on its own with payment. The FAA should contact the CAA from their end, the sooner you get it all sent off the sooner it will get sorted for you, let us know how you get on...:ok:

Bearcat F8F
7th May 2012, 09:27
Are you sure about this? My friend has obtained an FAA PPL using his JAA PPL last year and he only contacted the CAA. Have things changes since then?

I will phone up the CAA tomorrow. I forgot its a stupid bank holiday today... :ugh:

custardpsc
7th May 2012, 09:42
Bearcat if you search on here you'll find existing advice on this, but in a nutshell you need to send the request to the FAA (nominating the fsdo you want the letter copy sent to ) and the two CAA forms (authorisation and payment) to the CAA. If you do all this at the same time you won't go too far wrong. I understand that CAA returns info in batches to FAA (usually on fridays apparently) and it takes a day or two for the FAA to log your request on their system so depending on when you apply you may miss a weekly cycle. FAA quote quite a lengthy period (45-90 days) but in reality its probably more like 3-4 weeks. I have had one done in 2 1/2 weeks before and I submitted a request two weeks ago which I haven't heard anything about yet and expect to hear something in maybe two weeks. Workload is apparently 'about average to busy' in the relevant FAA section. You will then need to schedule a FSDO appointment once you have the letter in your hand, and a BFR once you have the 61.75 in order to be able to use it

(Have a look in the private section, rather than professional, you might consider moving this thread there)

Bearcat F8F
7th May 2012, 12:32
Thanks very much, got it.

Could I quickly ask one more thing...

Do I need to go through the AFSP to do hour building in the US? I sent them an email and they said that I only need to do this if I go through any kind of training. Does a currency check with an instructor count as "training"?

MartinCh
7th May 2012, 12:49
NO
TSA is only when you work towards (standalone) FAA certificate or rating - ie you do checkride with FAA examiner or DPE. Some exclusions and special clauses apply. Not in your case, though.

Honestly, the whole thing has been done to death and FAA website is very concise regarding the process.
It's only because of the stupid 'personal information protection' rules ad absurdum, applied to UK CAA and few select NAAs elsewhere, you have to do bit extra and pay CAA for the privilege.

Bearcat F8F
7th May 2012, 15:26
Awesome thanks!

B2N2
9th May 2012, 12:32
Looks like a PITA.

REALLY?
Try it the other way around, from FAA > JAA......:ugh:
At least the FAA is still free of charge.
Enjoy your flying in the US :ok:

Bearcat F8F
9th May 2012, 15:18
Haha!! Yes I know I was exaggerating!

I'm going to Florida in the end I decided, to Fort Lauderdale. Can't wait. Hopefully I'll manage to dodge all the traffic as it looks like its a pretty congested area for flying!

B2N2
11th May 2012, 14:55
Would you mind sharing with us which school/FBO in Fort Lauderdale?
Make sure you come across to Naples and come see us on one of your flights.
:ok:

Cobalt
11th May 2012, 18:35
REALLY?
Try it the other way around, from FAA > JAA......:ugh:
At least the FAA is still free of charge.

In the UK, not until EASA ruins it all in 2014 or so. Until then, you can fly any G-Reg with an FAA licence effectively with PPL privileges, and if you have an IR you can use it like an IMC rating. No paperwork, verification, charges, or anything.

One of the very few things that are easier FAA --> UK than the other way round.

Bearcat F8F
11th May 2012, 19:12
Would you mind sharing with us which school/FBO in Fort Lauderdale?
Make sure you come across to Naples and come see us on one of your flights.Well at the moment I am planning on doing it with these guys (based in KFXE) :

Home Page | Horizon Flight Academy (http://www.flflight.com/)

I need around 80 hours or so. I will be there for most of September.

The other option is this place. CHECK OUT THEIR C152!!!

Aircraft | North County Flight Training (http://www.northcountyflight.com/aircraft/)

I need to get back to them still. That C152 is stunning. But because it gets so much action they want half the money up front.

So I think I will go for Fort Lauderdale Flight School ("Horizon Flight Academy") instead. Money-wise I think it will work out pretty much the same for both.

What you doing in Naples? Flight Instructor? Do you know anywhere good to get a Pitts lesson? I can't live without aerobatics :{

MartinCh
12th May 2012, 10:01
Not your typical C152, haha.
Pretty good rate for the kit and considering it's in Florida.