PDA

View Full Version : US schools that don't reply

pilotchute
6th May 2012, 23:47
I will be heading to the US from OZ later in the year to do some x country flying around California for a couple of weeks as a bit of a holiday. After seeing what was involved to get a special airman's certification I thought I may as well just get a FAA CPL-ME while I'm at it. I did some research and narrowed down a list of schools to one's who do training on aircraft I'm already endorsed on and have good airport facilities with affordable accomodation nearby.

The schools I have emailed claim to be experienced in ICAO conversion yet none of them have replied to my requests for more info about the lenght of time needed to do the conversion or any projected costs. Are these schools only interested in Ab initio training? The reason I find this frustrating is that to get the visa to do flying training in the US I have to be aligned with a school before I arrive.

Anyone got any idea's or a recommendation they can PM to me?

Cheers

Gomrath
6th May 2012, 23:55
What exactly are you 'converting' from and hours etc?
You need to review FAR 61.127 and 61.129 to ensure that you have the pre-reqs.

The_Novocastrian
7th May 2012, 00:55
Give them a call on the phone - talking to someone directly is heaps better than email and you don't have to wait for answers.

B2N2
9th May 2012, 13:13
For private pilot priviliges (recreational flying) you do the paperwork excercise and a Flight review with an FAA authorized instructor. ME and IR included.

I don't see how doing an entire rating is " the same".
However, I applaud your efforts for getting the rating.
Knowing nothing about your proficiency I would guess, 4-5 days for your training.
Also if the school doesn't bother to reply, take your business elsewhere.
But then again if you need a particular airplane, give them a call.
Flight Instructors and flight school owners are notoriously dyslectic.

this is my username
9th May 2012, 17:20
I chose a school in the US largely based on their prompt and well thought-out responses to my questions about my fairly non-standard requirements. They were the only school who actually did some work to establish what I needed to do and come back with a coherent response.

It transpired that the school had a member of staff whose main job was to respond to queries and sell their courses - it worked very well for them and I have no regrets!

Tinstaafl
9th May 2012, 20:22
Why do the US licence in something on which you're already endorsed? If you do it on something else then CASA can add it to your Oz endorsements for whatever the current fee is**. You may as well get something extra out of the process and the additional endorsement fee will be a damn sight cheaper than training for the endorsement in Oz.

**As long as it is a type recognised by CASA. Check the list of types in the CAOs.