PDA

View Full Version : Twin Comanche Running Costs

airman1
6th May 2012, 22:33
Looking for some up to date info on the running cost of a PVT operated PA-30 Twin Comanche

Insurance cost ?
Approximate 100 hrly cost ?
Approximate engine overhaul cost ?
Approximate Prop replacment cost ?
Are parts becoming difficult to come by ?

Many thanks

LexAir
7th May 2012, 05:37
Don't know the exact figures on a twin comical but a 30 year old PA.44 costs me between 8 & 11K each 100 hourly! Engines, props, radios and sundries are extra. Ageing twins are not cheap to run.

Capt Casper
7th May 2012, 07:17
This group will help I am sure.
Comanche Flyer - International Comanche Society: Australia Tribe (http://www.comancheflyer.com.au/)

Howard Hughes
7th May 2012, 07:39
Don't know the exact figures on a twin comical but a 30 year old PA.44 costs me between 8 & 11K each 100 hourly! Engines, props, radios and sundries are extra. Ageing twins are not cheap to run.
ouch, that's gotta hurt...:ouch:

PA39
7th May 2012, 08:24
FB of 60 l/ph Annuals around $3-5K, depending on due checks IFR/VFR etc engines and props pretty reasonable and depending if you want factory reman or field o'haul. The cheapest and most economical twin you can buy.......but like all aircraft you must buy a good one!!

zac21
7th May 2012, 09:46
Wot PA39 said,, exactly!!!!:ok:

jas24zzk
7th May 2012, 12:49
Sorry lexair. pick on the commanche all you like, but it at least had some factory corrosion proofing done..that helps a lot!.

8-11k for a 100 hourly on your PA-44? WTF are you doing to it!! or is it on training hire....

baron_beeza
8th May 2012, 00:18
8-11k for a 100 hourly on your PA-44? WTF are you doing to it!! or is it on training hire....

It may be low utilisation at that also. I get to work in many hangars and have heard of guys paying close to that for a single. I know of a Mooney at $7000 and a Cessna 172 at much more than that also.

It depends on the level of defect rectification and preventative maintenance, not just ticking boxes on a checklist.
Hopefully the next in the cycle would be a cheap one...

Clearedtoreenter
8th May 2012, 01:26
I can't believe a regular 3-5K on a working 45 year old twin these days... perhaps to Schedule 5 or some view of it? Which perhaps means it will all fall in a heap one day and someone will end up with the $40K 100 hourly when it all catches up.

Maintaining a single to manufacturers scheme averages out more than that... just paid 7K for 5 year old single. (Yes, I know I must be mad when I could have done it so much cheaper:uhoh:)

VH-XXX
8th May 2012, 06:11
Now I know what you're thinking about!

Aircraft for Sale, Plane Sales, Planes for Sale - Aviation Advertiser (http://classifieds.aviationadvertiser.com.au/detail.php?id=2068)

Wilkesy
8th May 2012, 07:58
I have flown that Twin Comanche before, good old MBZ!

By George
8th May 2012, 08:46
I flew a few hundred hours in MBZ in the early seventies when working for AAC (Australian Aircharters) of Moorabbin. It was unusual in having Ray Jay turbochargers and a trailing HF aerial. With the tip-tanks, they had to be selected briefly taxing out prior to selecting mains for take-off. Failing to do so they wouldn't transfer in the air for some reason. We even used it to fly newspapers to CBR, 340 kgs by memory. The seat position would give me a crook back for days. It also had at least one wheels up landing when the original owner 'forgot' landing at AY. I think it had another one many years later.
I will keep my thoughts to my self about how I feel about this 'aeroplane' there are a few vocal fans on these boards who think otherwise.

airman1
8th May 2012, 10:06
Thanks for your comments guys

Not the twin com I am thinking of but buy geez that is cheap!

Wanderin_dave
8th May 2012, 11:21
Not the twin com I am thinking of but buy geez that is cheap!

Cheap to buy...... My wallet is cowering in the corner at the mere thought of owning it! :eek:

PA39
8th May 2012, 23:58
Work on a good day for the engines,3-4 for the airframe, hrly rate of say $70/80, filters parts, AD/sb checks/cables/torque tube/landing gear/compass swing IFR checks. Comanche's are buttoned up pretty well....the airframe inspection can be a lengthy period, there are more screws than Kings Cross! The best way to understand is to work on your aircraft under supervision of your guy and see whats involved. As far as engines go....bullet proof!

There are only two guys I would let go anywhere near my birds with a spanner, one is at Murwullumbah (sic?) and the other is at YKMP. Let me know if I can help.