PDA

View Full Version : A320 flaps in severe turbulence

Flyman35
4th May 2012, 13:23
If severe turbulence is reported at 1500 which flaps configuration is recommend for departure and why?

763 jock
4th May 2012, 13:29
Why would you take off into known severe turbulence?

From our EU Ops Manual:

"Severe – large and abrupt changes in aeroplane attitude and/or altitude accompanied by significant variations in airspeed; the aeroplane may be out of control for short periods; occupants are forced violently against seat belts and harnesses; loose objects are tossed around."

Old Fella
5th May 2012, 02:16
As 763 jock indicates "Severe" turbulence causes a very violent environment. In addition to what 763 jock has posted the capacity to accurately read instrumentation is likely to be impaired, due to the eyes being bounced around within the eye sockets. Often "severe" turbulence is reported when in fact it is "moderate" at worst. Under FAA definitions "Severe" turbulence is only less in intensity to "Extreme" which will likely cause structural damage to an aircraft.

Dan Winterland
5th May 2012, 09:26
If you carefully read the description - two things are apparent. First, turbulence is often misreported - severe turbulence is rare and many pilots have never encountered it. I reckon I have only encountered it once in over 25 years. Ans secondly, as 763 Jock says - you would delay the departure if it was forecast!

So in answer - I wouldn't take off. But if I was taking off with windshear reported, I would consider config 3 with TOGA. The reason being, you spend as litte time on the runway and it's nearly impossible to scrape the tail in that config.

Microburst2002
5th May 2012, 14:54
I would use flaps one, TOGA, just in case there is wind shear too.

A high speed VR, (as always are optimized speeds) should prevent any tailstrike.

When accelererating, wait until 20 kt after S speed before retracting, as per SOPs