PDA

View Full Version : All This Talk About Medals.....

SASless
4th May 2012, 01:02
Recently there was some chit chat about Campaign Medals/Ribbons and awards for service here and there.

This is a classic example of what a real Warrior looks like.....and it appears he has all the bases covered starting with Haiti with Butler and all the Banana Wars forward to current day!

Now for starters....ever wonder why A USMC Master Gunner would be wearing Navy SEAL Trident, EOD Badge, a mere twelve rows of Ribbons?

This is as good example of a Wannabee as one can find!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/552653_10150650304538660_265552253659_9173132_367573724_n.jp g

Hydromet
4th May 2012, 02:18
Rather more than the total of this line-up (http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1156/topstories/story10.htm) of former RSM-A s, who each probably have more service.

Exascot
4th May 2012, 05:11
I don't see one from Weight Watchers :E

NutLoose
4th May 2012, 07:41
But you get a ribbon in the US military for crossing the road.... Being a member of the Tufty club and for successfully passing your driving test.

Runaway Gun
4th May 2012, 07:55
I think he used to be an F3 pilot?

Pontius Navigator
4th May 2012, 08:11
Glad to see he keeps himself fit.

langleybaston
4th May 2012, 08:22
in his spare time he collects Nazi memorabilia, of course.

Rides a Harley.

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2012, 08:43
Paradoxically at the end of World War Two the US awarded fewer campaign medals than Britain, a total of five, as opposed to the ten authorised by the British authorities.

These were

American Defense Medal - equivalent to the 1939-45 Star
European - African - Middle Eastern Campaign Medal- Atlantic, Aircrew Europe, Africa, Italy and France & Germany Stars
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal- Burma and Pacific Stars
American Campaign Medal - Defence Medal
WW II Victory Medal - 1939-45 War Medal

Admittedly, once the Tufty Club type medals as displayed by our portly US Marine were added, US servicemen still ended up with rather more fruit salad on their chests than their British and Commonwealth comrades.

Wensleydale
4th May 2012, 09:21
Admittedly, once the Tufty Club type medals as displayed by our portly US Marine were added, US servicemen still ended up with rather more fruit salad on their chests than their British and Commonwealth comrades.

All to do with the US capitalist acconomy. (It costs about £10 per medal to get each new medal mounted from RAF tailors - fifth medal equals £50. Add the same cost for miniatures)..... It must have made much profit for this chap's tailor.

Pontius Navigator
4th May 2012, 09:27
TTN, please enlighten me as to the qualification for the 1939-41 part of the Victory medal.

On P&O Oceana last month the security officer had an impressive rack on his mess undress. The minatures were overlapped to fit them all in. The also had an RM badge and para wings.

Pontius Navigator
4th May 2012, 09:28
WD, tax deductible of course.

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2012, 09:56
P-N - Yes fair point, but all I meant was that these were their nearest British equivalents.

But I think you knew that ;)

Re overlapping, this is laid down in regs for groups of medals of over five. When I used to do medal mounting in my shop I'd do groups of up to five myself, and contract out larger groups, as neat overlapping was a skill I never mastered, as was court mounting.

Thud105
4th May 2012, 10:19
I think he might just have medal ribbons for the War of Independence and the Civil War amongst that lot! Do you think that the MoD will issue a medal for those who 'serve' in the 'campaign' protecting the Olympics?

charliegolf
4th May 2012, 10:20
I don't see one from Weight Watchers

If he is (and I'm not suggesting otherwise) entitled to all that chest cabbage, I reckon he's also entitled to pack a few pounds on in later career!

CG, GSM (NI) no Bar, no Long Gong

Pontius Navigator
4th May 2012, 11:15
TTN, apologies, I misread what you didn't write :)

You didn't repeat the 'equivalent' on the Victory medal. My question then is did their's specify a date viz 1941-1945 or just WW2? Certainly many USN and USCG (?) were engaged in a fairly robust neutrality pre-Pearl Harbour.

SASless
4th May 2012, 12:15
It is rumored this portly chap got rumbled by the Plod....was convicted in Court under the Stolen Valor Law and served time in Prison.

He is probably quite fortunate he did not meet up with a genuine Navy SEAL or his stay might very well have been in Hospital rather than Prison.

The SEAL's are well known for their succinct message to such folks....upon confirming the guy is actually a Fraud....they inform him of the penalty for passing himself off as a SEAL when he really isn't. There has been more than one big ol' can of Whoop Ass opened upon said Fraud showing up in public wearing a SEAL Trident.

There are way too many sharp pointy edges to a Trident to want to have one manually inserted up your stern tube!

November4
4th May 2012, 12:22
Surely the giveaway is wearing the SEAL trident on a Marine uniform as the SEALs are US Navy...?

From that well know source of (in)accurate information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_SEAL_selection_and_training)

To volunteer, SEAL candidates must be male, between 18 and 28 years old, and US citizens in the U.S. Navy.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
4th May 2012, 12:54
Probably a better site for information on the SEAL program is:

Navy SEALs : Special Operations: Careers & Jobs: Navy.com (http://www.navy.com/careers/special-operations/seals.html)

Qualifications

By law, only men are eligible to apply for the SEAL program. Upon joining the Navy, you must:

Meet specific eyesight requirements: 20/40 best eye; 20/70 worst eye; correctable to 20/25 with no color blindness
Meet the minimum Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) score: GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220
Be 28 years old or younger
Be a U.S. citizen
Pass a physical examination required for divers

It looks like you join up as a SEAL. Well I never. Every day's a school day.

Duncs:ok:

SASless
4th May 2012, 14:09
Duncan....one may enlist for the SEAL's....if qualified.....then there is the small task of actually making it through the training program. Not many succeed in that wee small task for some very simple reasons....it is a tough rite of passage.

The AVSAB score of 165 alone is a daunting threshold. A 110 score will get you into Officer Candidate School in the Army.

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2012, 14:45
You didn't repeat the 'equivalent' on the Victory medal. My question then is did their's specify a date viz 1941-1945 or just WW2?

Now I've checked, I find that whereas their Victory Medal is for service in the years 1941-45, and does in fact show those dates, the American Defense Service Medal qualification period includes service in "the limited emergency proclaimed on 8 September 1939 or the unlimited emergency proclaimed on 27 May 1941"

Not sure of the significance of the latter date - maybe someone can clarify.

Union Jack
4th May 2012, 14:55
I think he used to be an F3 pilot?

Well, to be fair:E, he does appear to be wearing wings perched on top of all that fruit salad ....:)

Jack

mikip
4th May 2012, 15:03
It's just a patchwork repair to a moth hole in his uniform!

Old-Duffer
4th May 2012, 15:37
I used to be the PMC of a mess at a North London airbase and we were saying farewell, inter alia, to our USAF exchange officer. It fell to me to make a few comments about him before he spoke, and I mentioned that until I started to serve with our allies from t'other side of the pond, I had thought the term: 'Monthly Medal', applied to the golf club. For some reason this seemed to be greeted with much mirth from around the room: probably the way I told it!?

Old Duffer

NutLoose
4th May 2012, 16:52
Do the Marines get the little rifle badge to show they have served in combat, if so he appears to have collected a lot without going anywhere dangerous...
Looks a bit like Capt Mainwaring.

Sloppy Link
4th May 2012, 16:54
T-T-N,
Nearly right, overlapping is after 5 full size medals, miniatures the statement is "after 9 medals they may be overlapped as is appropriate to the wearer and the mess dress being worn for his service or arm". In short, a barrel chested man wearing a waistcoat and flared cavalry jacket (HCR, AAC, RLC etc) could wear in excess of 9 miniatures, a lady of slight build wearing a bolero style jacket with lapels (RAF, R Signals, REME etc) would end up with the medal on the extreme right (as worn) nestling in the centre of her chest therefore, overlapping is acceptable. RM mess dress along with the remainder of line Infantry is of this design so would expect overlapping (RM only dress like women, I would never be that stupid to suggest they are....)
(PC police - all gender and descriptions may be transposed as applicable)

Respect, I have always found court mounting easier due to having a solid item to work on, swing mounting is far trickier

lauriebe
5th May 2012, 01:21
T-T-N:

FDR proclaims an unlimited national emergency — History.com This Day in History — 5/27/1941 (http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/fdr-proclaims-an-unlimited-national-emergency)

Old Fella
5th May 2012, 01:36
Wensleydale, could you define "acconomy" for me please?

Wensleydale
5th May 2012, 08:34
Old Fella...

Wensleydale, could you define "acconomy" for me please?

It has two possible meanings:

1. Historical slang used by a judges when discussing the villains that they had transported to the colonies (ie "he was a con of mine").

2. A typo which slipped through because there is no spell checker on here.

You choose!!

Tankertrashnav
5th May 2012, 08:49
Thanks for the link lauriebe.

Sloppy Link - yes you are right, I was thinking of full-size medals. I never attempted to mount miniatures - far too fiddly for me!

sitigeltfel
5th May 2012, 09:04
Medals? I'll give you medals!

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/medals.jpg

Ali Barber
5th May 2012, 11:05
That's their body armour!

Wensleydale
5th May 2012, 11:08
Not conscripts I supose? They are more likely Korea officers......:ouch:

NutLoose
5th May 2012, 17:08
It's not what one's got, it's how one wears them, and this images says it all..

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/11/article-2060237-0EC45B5400000578-565_964x824.jpg

Courtney Mil
5th May 2012, 17:20
Great fun thread, but also well done Nutloose for injecting a little reality into it. Brought me back down to earth.:ok:

GGR
5th May 2012, 17:28
They are badges from McDognalds. You get a badge for each breed sampled

Coats already on..............

helen-damnation
5th May 2012, 20:27
Think they failed the paintball warriors course :}

Pontius Navigator
5th May 2012, 21:24
TNT Bismarck?

Wasn't,t a US Catalina involved?