PDA

View Full Version : working for the big dogs

pm07a2m
3rd May 2012, 22:09
hello all rotorheads!
Was wondering if any of you had some experience that could share with me (and possibly others interested)

i have been working for the last few years in the camo/part 145 dpt of a relatively small heli company (we operate a fleet of 7 helis for aerial work)

i have been offered a job with one of the largest heli manufactures around and they are offering me quite a competitive salary...

My collegues at work say i shouln't go for it as chances to grow careerwise are quite limited due to the size of the company, i am hence very undiceded on what to do as i am not too sure if i am being told so because if i leave i would leave quite a big gap in the company...

Any first hand experience from you guys?

I see that most of the companies mentioned here are the large offshore and sar operators not much about the manufacturers themselfes...

Anyone with work experience with eurocopter agusta sikorsky bell robinson etc??

Cheers lads

Ready2Fly
4th May 2012, 02:33
I can only give you a general idea of options but maybe it helps:

To me, money is an important factor but to be successful and satisfied it needs more than a good salary, i.e. job perspective, environment etc. Whether you feel comfortable with a big player where you are one out of x people depends on your own opinion. Let's assume a career was limited because there is more competition, what are your current options to develop your career? You say, you would leave a huge gap if you left now? Is your employer thinking the same?

What about having a meeting with your current employer to discuss the possible next steps to move on within the company. Such a conversation can tell you a lot (and probably ring some bells with your employer).

Last but not least my personal point of view is: I would never use an offer from another company just to squeeze my employer into a higher salary. It might work once but beware of the time afterwards. Should I decide that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, I would quit and never look back (remember, should you stay after being offered a higher salary you are selling your soul and your employer knows you are not really strict in your decisions - a weak point).

If you quit and your employer offers you a higher salary straight away, then this is a slap in your face because basically you did work all the time for less than what you are worth.

Just my two cents.

Camp Freddie
4th May 2012, 09:58
Go to the big dog, they obviously put a greater value on your services than the small dog.

I would mention to the small dog what you are doing and see what they do say or do to keep you, if they do nothing then it's the right decision to go, if they do something you will need a very good reason why they didn't do it before, so it's probably still the right decision to go.

Also your premise that there is less chance of career progression with the big dog is counter intuitive, mostly it's the other way around.

Manchester
4th May 2012, 12:10
I’ll give you a Pointer: go for it, broaden your experience. Canadian (Huskies) act very differently from Irish (Terriers) but both are PDG. It’ll give you different perspective on the breeds, the breeders, the trainers, the dog-walkers and the Chow, and its the only way to find out whether you prefer being a small fish in a big pool with opportunities or a big fish in a small pool with comfort and status (sorry - lost the theme there). Stop Lion around or you’ll be dogged by it for the rest of your life. If the change turns out to be ****zu, you can move on again with a better broader CV to the next place (Labrador, Newfoundland, Shetland, Dalmatia, West(high)land?). And if, when you Finnish, your current pack Spitz on you, that’s only natural pack behaviour. But don’t be Cavalier with them– it’s a small small world and it will come back to bite you.

SASless
4th May 2012, 12:25
Go for it.....working for the manufacturer is good fun. Do consider which one it is...what their prospects are....and weigh the pay and benefits. Also...consider the duties you will be assigned.

Working for Bell, Sikorsky, Eurocopter and Agusta can be a job you will look back on in thirty years and wonder where all the time went.

If it is Sikorsky....absolutely take the offer!

industry insider
4th May 2012, 14:08
Don't listen to SAS, he has never worked for Sikorsky.

Its not a happy place to work these days. You will spend your life doing ethics courses, working your way through the dysfunctional ACE system and justifying everything you do.

SASless
4th May 2012, 14:17
II...upon what basis do you qualify yourself to make such a statement?

Are you a current SA employee?

Are you a former SA employee?

If a former employee...what was the nature of your departure?

If never a SA employee....well I guess we should not listen to you either then!

SASless
5th May 2012, 12:46
Never claimed to be a Sikorsy hand....but have known many and to a Man they were very happy there. Times change I guess!

I do know there is a very strong loyalty to the company by those I know....and with my first hand knowledge of the pay and benefits common to the American Helicopter industry....working for the folks building them beats the dickens out of those operating them.

Care to prove me wrong on that statement?

Also...if life at Sikorsky is so bad....why hang around? Perhaps Loyalty is not considered a positive trait anymore.

lowfat
5th May 2012, 17:47
I have worked on production for 2 different manufacturers and it was never a happy time... But I was always under deadline pressure.
There were those who had a lovely time in the alleged support departments which would have different view of the subject, no pressure ,jobs worth attitude and seemed a job for life. 1 of the manufacturers doesn't any more the other scaled back massively.
The fact you are looking or asking on here suggests you are not happy with your lot. The grass can be greener on the other side of the fence or just a mirage. My only advise to you is do not burn your bridge if you leave. You may wish to return with the fountain of knowledge your experiences have given you.

JohnDixson
5th May 2012, 21:23
I did work for a large helicopter company for 39 years, and SAS, although he didn't work for that company ( Sikorsky ) has it exactly right, in my estimation.

Before you make your final decision, just be sure you will be doing something you really want to be doing. Assuming that you are intelligent, eager, like to work hard and like people, the rest will take care of itself. Doesn't matter which company you go to ( though, since you seem to be an enthusiasistic person, permit me to hope that it is Sikorsky, 'cause you can teach people a lot of things, but it's tough teaching them attitude ).

Just a note re the unhappy Sikorsky duo expressing their opinions here. Every large organization has people who are not happy, no matter what the circumstances. And it's easy to post ones bile on Pprune anonymously. What's immensely more satisfying is to participate in helping an organization excel in their chosen line of work.

There was comment regarding chance of promotion/ advancement. There used to be a standing joke about the implications of a new organization chart at Sikorsky, which was that, no matter how they repositioned the chairs and job titles, the same core of people/mangers still did the important work. ( I am certain that is true at Bell, Boeing and Eurocopter as well ). An underlying point is that in my 39 years at SA, the people with intelligence, enthusiasm, energy, and the willingness to work hard to solve problems were recognized and promoted. ( and I am certain that is the case elsewhere too ).

Was everything perfect, all the time during 39 years? Hardly, and that will be true wherever you go, or whatever you do. Did some lesser individual ever obtain a promotion that seemed absolutely off base? Sure, but usually, that person's performance led to a " readjustment " down the road.

I hope this short note provides a bit of clarity, and I certainly wish you well.

Thanks,
John Dixson

pm07a2m
13th May 2012, 00:11
thanks for the useful advice guys!!

I have indeed accepted the offer so fingers crossed i will not regret it.....

Good luck to all in your career!

212man
13th May 2012, 04:29
I have indeed accepted the offer so fingers crossed i will not regret it.....

Any chance of knowing who with?