PDA

View Full Version : Over paid for fifteen years!

2nd May 2012, 16:31
Seems a very long time both to discover the error and for individuals still to be in the same place?

RAF staff 'were overpaid for 15 years' - Defence Management (http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=19634)

diginagain
2nd May 2012, 17:27
Only 15 years.................:hmm:

Geehovah
2nd May 2012, 17:32
I spent my first year of retirement paying back errors in my flying pay from the earlier 6 years.:}

Anyone else ever had a 9 page Pay Statement?

I can hear the sympathy from the ground chappies from here!:)

Saintsman
2nd May 2012, 18:19
15 years?

That's some tour.

Tourist
2nd May 2012, 18:22
diginagain

:D

High_Expect
2nd May 2012, 18:24
I've been arguing Blunties are over paid for longer than 15years!

Green Flash
2nd May 2012, 18:29
I think Two Chaps;) and a Wireless are a lot less blunt than others!

Stuff
2nd May 2012, 18:50
Seems a very long time ... for individuals still to be in the same place?

They didn't have to be in the same place for the whole time for this to happen.

As I understand it, they claimed 2 AIPs (early pay increments). I don't think there is an issue with the first but the second AIP was invalid because they either used the same qualification as the first AIP when they have to be different or because the second qualification wasn't at a high enough level to qualify. Since the admin function had been decentralised to the unit there was no oversight of the pay modifications to catch it at the time as might have happened had they been processed through PSF.

Once the AIP is awarded they jump up one level of the pay scale and that's permanent. Posting off unit will continue to have them paid 1 level above that which they should have received.

4everAD
2nd May 2012, 18:56
Stuff, almost correct however these AIPs were approved and checked by the units PSF (HR nowadays) the clerks had no more understanding about the relevant qualifications than the individual applying for it (that has been admitted in this case by the units HR staff).

Stuff
2nd May 2012, 18:58
Ty for that. Crewroom scuttlebutt never gets the fine detail right!

Edit to add - you've got to feel for them in this case. If one bloke gets an AIP approved he's going to tell everyone else how to apply for it. Pretty unsurprising that a whole load of them now find themselves in the same boat.
I'm sure 90% of the allowances I've claimed back were as a result of being told how to do it by someone else in the crewroom.

Courtney Mil
2nd May 2012, 20:51
Those ivolved were, no doubt, happy with their pay. The blunties were paying them and these people would have trusted them to get it right. The admins, Service or JPA, have a responsibility to get it right. Too late to rape the people that were just doing their job and drawing their pay.

These are the people (Admin/JPA) who still cannot provide me with a P45 and have landed me with a £75 a month tax repayment, on top of a negative tax code. There comes a time when SP cannot be made to pay for other buggers' mistakes.

Samuel
3rd May 2012, 05:28
IN ANZUK I was once given a payment which I queried because I suspected it was an error. They insisted I was wrong and they were right, but I still objected on the grounds I thought they were wrong! It was an integrity thing..you know...

Some months passed and I was asked to authorize a pay deduction to repay an over-payment, and on principle I refused. The case went all the way until finally a VSO decided enough was enough, I was right, and had pointed out the mistake more than once and now those that had made it were seeking retribution. It didn't happen!

Al R
3rd May 2012, 06:21
These payments; were they allowances or pay increases? If the difference is 12k or so, thats a big chunk of pension (or even worse, if a pension sharing order has already been made, based on erroneous figures - I can't see a sympathetic ex spouse agreeing to split the difference based on an admin screw up).

BANANASBANANAS
3rd May 2012, 06:48
When I did BFTS at Cranwell the Mess was full so we were given 2 rooms that the Officer Cadets used and charged accommodation at the sub standard accommodation rate. For the next 4 years and 5 different stations this was never altered even though I quickly got a room in the Mess. When it was eventually discovered I argued that the overpayment should be deducted from my salary at exactly the same rate that it had been incorrectly paid to me as the error was shared between myself and the admin people at 5 different stations. RAF agreed and the repayment process was relatively painless.

Climebear
3rd May 2012, 09:10
Something not quite right with this story (there's a surprise).

IIRC AIPs were introduced as part of Pay2000 which, as the name would suggest, was less than 15 years ago.

Doesn't excuse the fact that f*cking up someone’s pay by - apparently -failing to follow a simple procedure is simply wrong.

Fareastdriver
3rd May 2012, 09:10
If he has been overpaid for fifteen years who is going to recover the income tax paid on it.

Old Fella
3rd May 2012, 11:44
This would be a rare thing. It is usually the case that defence force members are UNDERPAID. I know when I went "civvy" my salary increased more than threefold for doing the same job.

kweelo
3rd Aug 2012, 09:00
Anyone any idea, how this panned out?

4everAD
3rd Aug 2012, 11:08
Still waiting for a RAF wide audit to be completed as this didn't just affect/effect TG4 but lots of TGs. Until complete repayments are on hold as there is still a chance amounts might be written off (though a half way house solution is more likely)

kweelo
3rd Aug 2012, 12:38
Thanks - found out today I am too part of that audit.

ShyTorque
3rd Aug 2012, 13:06
I've just discovered that in error I forgot to put in a a couple of travel claims fifteen years ago. Any chance they'll pay up? :E

I thought even the Inland Revenue couldn't re-claim as far back as fifteen years, btw.

SOSL
3rd Aug 2012, 13:36
In 2000'and something after I had gone freelance, I was was in the West Country, on contract when then Mrs SOS, somewhere in East Anglia, opened a letter from The Paymaster General which said "We were very sorry to hear of the death of your husband. Please send us a certified copy of the death certificate".

Naturally she called me immediately and when I answered "Hi sweetie" she said "Oh..are you feeling ok". I should have got the message then, but it took me another couple of years.

However, the Paymaster General had stopped my pension because I was dead. It took me some time to sort out.

No one is perfect.

Rgds SOS

ShyTorque
3rd Aug 2012, 13:57
My sister's husband died suddenly. She wrote to their bank to sort out what had been a joint account.

For weeks afterwards she was pestered by folks phoning up, wanting to speak to him to confirm his own death. All from the same bank! This was a worst case scenario when banks outsource their so-called "customer service" department to a foreign country! It got so ridiculous and upsetting I told her she should have gone to the press with it.

A2QFI
3rd Aug 2012, 14:08
Computers have trouble with death. My partner spent years getting letters addressed to, and with the salutation, Dear Mr Partner (Deceased)

2Planks
3rd Aug 2012, 15:36
On my very last pay statement last week - I had a recovery for SUPA in 2007 - just about to embark the outrage bus when I noticed it was for £0.01! But i did get my P45 within 11 days Courtney.

tucumseh
3rd Aug 2012, 16:59
I think they should now audit the admin types. In 1992, under the RAF Chief Engineer (Alcock andbull), a directive was issued that ANY Admin grade was senior to ANY engineer. You never know, they may have awarded themselves an even bigger pay rise!

Babyfactory
3rd Aug 2012, 17:08
I thought even the Inland Revenue couldn't re-claim as far back as fifteen years, btw. HMRC can go back seven years in the usual run of things, 12 years for fraud cases.