PDA

View Full Version : RAF Northolt & Typhoon

coley chaos
2nd May 2012, 12:41
With the safe arrival of Typhoon at Northolt....do the pilots have to press the brakes a little harder and handbrake turn at the end of the tarmac?

Its reassuring that these aircraft can land so close to the festivities of the exercise taking place, albeit from a much smaller airfield than they are used to.

Bring on the sonic booms which will sure to be caused by a secret RAF fighter traveling backwards at mach 4 and at 50ft above Buckingham Palace thereby waking the Royal Corgis as will be reported in the Sun.

Coley

HTB
2nd May 2012, 12:55
cc

You beat me to the draw, slow typing on my part I guess.

I think at 1687m (about 5500 ft) that runway could be a challenge for both take-off and landing, especially as there's not a lot of real estate at either end (for aeroplanes that is), unless you count the A40.

Mister B

VX275
2nd May 2012, 13:05
Presumably for the olympics the Typhoons will need to be armed / rearmed, if so have they done a safety plot?

coley chaos
2nd May 2012, 13:17
HTB,

Great minds think alike I guess!! Was it 6-7 minutes apart we both posted the same thing??

Im just the village idiot around my rolling Dorsetshire countryside but it would be nice to be strapped into the cockpit of a Typhoon on finals and feel the tension in the thigh muscles as you cross the threshold!!!

Im sure everything has been worked out and that a sufficient 50 knot headwind will be available from the wind machine at the end of the runway!!

Great noise for all the aviation enthusiasts around London....must bring back memories of Concord to them.

Hope the exercise goes ok in all honesty.

Coley

gevans35
2nd May 2012, 13:35
Ah, that would explain the touch and go.

BBC were televising the landings live and didn't know what to say when one Typhoon touched down and took-off again after about ten yards, so they hastily cut to something else.

coley chaos
2nd May 2012, 13:56
Gevans 35,

The touch and go was instigated as a result of the Typhoons sensitive radar picking up a field mouse running across the active runway as will be reported by a Sun reporter.

On the flip side, this will result in all the "Anti Olympic" and "Save a Field Mouse Movement" breathing a sigh.... going home happy and contented.

Coley

KPax
2nd May 2012, 14:01
Can't they just sit in a CAP rather than put them in London.

LateArmLive
2nd May 2012, 14:10
I think at 1687m (about 5500 ft) that runway could be a challenge for both take-off and landing

Do you have much experience flying Typhoons? If so, please get in touch with the team at RAF Coningsby - I'm sure they need your expert opinion...

Hummingfrog
2nd May 2012, 14:31
Kpax

Did you think before typing:-

Can't they just sit in a CAP rather than put them in London.

So instead of being on immediate readiness at Northolt you would have them airborne for 24hrs a day doing a CAP over London - and the cost of that would be:confused: - were you ever a planner in the military? Were you ever even in the military:ugh:

HF

(Miltary Aircrew Forum -A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here.)

Jumping_Jack
2nd May 2012, 15:02
The locals must be going bananas. As Orderly Orifice one evening at NHT I was subect to a tirade of angry noise complaint phonecalls following the departure (straight out & no shenanigans) of a Harrier that had been in for a static display. The temptation to point out that it was they that had bought a house by an airfield was almost too much. I bit my lip. :rolleyes:

gevans35
2nd May 2012, 15:12
(Miltary Aircrew Forum -A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here.)

Sorry chaps, civilian rotary pilot, just interested in the touch and go and thought this the best place to discuss.

cargosales
2nd May 2012, 15:28
From BBC News - RAF Typhoon jets arrive in London to test Olympic security (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17922490)

"The Typhoon jets .... will put pilots through their paces, .. "

It's good to see who's in charge up there eh :p

aw ditor
2nd May 2012, 16:01
Any complaints in the Summer of 1940?

Cows getting bigger
2nd May 2012, 16:14
It would be nice to think that the chaps could sit outside the front of the authentic WWII Officers' Mess and 'scramble' to their trusty steeds on hearing the Mess Steward ring the bell.

Unfortunately, it looks as if they will be living in a plastic tent next to the radar antenna :(

KPax
2nd May 2012, 16:34
Only 37 and a half years, apologise if I upset one of the two wing master race, my point was if the target gets to London it might be too late

RedhillPhil
2nd May 2012, 16:45
Any complaints in the Summer of 1940?

I think Merlins may have made a lesser and - I dare say - a more pleasing noise than a pair of EJs.:)

TEEEJ
2nd May 2012, 16:57
Typhoon’s anniversary markings: key.Aero, Military Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=5080&thisSection=military)

gsxrww
2nd May 2012, 17:24
"The locals must be going bananas."

And some locals have been looking forward to it. :D

I just love the smell of burnt JetA1 in the morning, or any time come to that.

GeeRam
2nd May 2012, 17:49
"The locals must be going bananas."

And some locals have been looking forward to it.

Indeed, my 80+ year old mother certainly has :ok: and she is desperately hoping for some excitement in the form of some loud and low passes over her house….. but I’ve told her not to hold her breath on that score as the fun police would have already put a stop to that.

She’s lived within a stone’s throw of RAF Northolt all her life and as a child witnessed the arrival of 111’s first Hurricane’s and Sqn Ldr ‘Downwind' Gillan’s arrival over Northolt from Turnhouse on his record breaking flight, and so many scramble’s from there during the summer of 1940 and later.

Green Flash
2nd May 2012, 17:55
I do hope the have sourced some battered leather chairs, some deck chairs, a copy of the Sketch, a bell and a black Lab.:ok: Have I missed anything?

Sygyzy
2nd May 2012, 17:59
Well that's just fine so long as you aren't tempted-ever- to pass your superior experience/ knowledge onto any other of the PPrune forums.

S

Might be a good thing-given your attitude-if military aircraft were scrapped-think of the savings.

langleybaston
2nd May 2012, 18:11
It won't be called nogger, nagger, nugger or negger, though, will it?

mikip
2nd May 2012, 18:18
A we now supposed to PM all submissions to HF along with a potted history of our careers for his approval before posting????

Green Flash
2nd May 2012, 18:19
No, but it will jump into the back of Sqn Ldr Canfields car on demand.

Molemot
2nd May 2012, 18:30
Not to forget this incident...!! (From the BBC Radio 4 Website)http://www.bbc.co.uk/furniture/tiny.gif

The Rooftop Dakota

On 19th December 1946, a Dakota plane crashed onto the roof of a house in Angus Drive, near Northholt Aerodrome in Middlesex...
Over the past three weeks, Home Truths has followed the story of the rooftop Dakota. First Irene Zigmund, whose house it was, told us of the incredible escape of herself and her 4-month old-son David, who was asleep in his cot upstairs when the plane landed on the house. Next, the air hostess, Bobby Pilbrow, and the son of one of the passengers on the plane, John Livingstone, got in touch with us, to tell us their bit of the story.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/images/dakotaonroof.jpg Railway Air Services Dakota G-AGZA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/images/dakotanose.jpg
The Dakota - nose first

And to round things off nicely, this week, Audrey Hawkridge emailed us to tell us how she and two of her friends stood transfixed as the Dakota appeared to be flying straight for the window in the upstairs office where they worked at the British European Airways headquarters. "But," said Audrey, "the Dakota gave a nerve-racking little wobble upward, and scooped itself in a painful sort of limp over our roof..." It crashed a few hundred yards away. Incredibly no-one was hurt. Our thanks to Maurice Wickstead, from Newton Abbot, who told us about the existence of the dramatic photographs of the Dakota after it had ploughed its way into the rooftop of 46 Angus Drive. The house, by the way, is called 'Dakota's Rest'.

gsxrww
2nd May 2012, 20:56
Now what's the chance of a Hurricane and Spitfire, turning up on the final day of the exercise? Go on BBMF/MoD, you know it makes sense! Please

To the Typhoon pilots, from a local, don't spare the re-heat, please!

To all the mil personnel taking part in the exercise, great to see and hear you, and of course, take care.

Duchess_Driver
2nd May 2012, 21:34
I do hope the have sourced some battered leather chairs, some deck chairs, a copy of the Sketch, a bell and a black Lab. Have I missed anything?

...Irvin.... scarf..... and if I may be so un-PC.... a pipe?

airpolice
2nd May 2012, 22:46
This is from the BBC news page.............

It is the first time fighter jets have been stationed at the west London site since WWII.

So, I'm just wondering..... which Fighter Jets were based at Northolt during the second world war?

gevans35
2nd May 2012, 22:56
Meteors?

airpolice
2nd May 2012, 23:02
Meteors............erm....nope. Not according to the official RAF Northolt web site.

gevans35
2nd May 2012, 23:07
Well that's the BBC shot down in flames again then, unless some non-operational jet paid a visit.

Finningley Boy
3rd May 2012, 00:30
According to The Sun, this is the first time the "Fighter Jets" have been based at Northolt since the Second World War! It would appear that there is still a lot of stuff about WWII which has yet to come to light.:ok:
Warplanes over London for Olympic exercise | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4292951/Warplanes-over-London-for-Olympic-exercise.html)
FB:)

airpolice
3rd May 2012, 00:33
So.......... did the Sun get it from the BBC or did the BBC get it from the Sun?

Making mistakes is bad enough, but to copy someone else's mistake is worse!

Samuel
3rd May 2012, 05:15
What are the odds of them ever being given the order to shoot?

skua
3rd May 2012, 07:01
Any one know what size of shrapnel Sidewinders fragments into? And where I can order armour plating for the roof?:ouch:

Flyingblind
3rd May 2012, 08:03
During Obama's recent visit (under 23hrs in OZ I think) to Canberra the RAAF provided a CAP above Canberra from RAAF Williamtown during his entire stay.

The RAAF provided the same service when Bush II visited during his second term.

Google Earth tells me its just over 200 nm as the crow fly's one way from RAAF Williamtown to Canberra.

I'm sure the RAF could mount a CAP with the Typhoon if the RAAF can do it with 'Classic' Hornets.

Laarbruch72
3rd May 2012, 08:05
23 hours isn't really comparable in terms of manpower, costs, fatigue etc than a period of well over 2 weeks though.

LateArmLive
3rd May 2012, 08:09
Any one know what size of shrapnel Sidewinders fragments into

I wouldn't be worrying about sidewinders...

The Helpful Stacker
3rd May 2012, 08:19
I do hope the have sourced some battered leather chairs, some deck chairs, a copy of the Sketch, a bell and a black Lab. Have I missed anything?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/SYork03.jpg
Section Officer Harvey?

langleybaston
3rd May 2012, 08:30
That has put me off my stroke stroke stroke suspenders thigh white flesh.

Off to make a healthy cup of strong tea.

Suggest we all do the same.

Halton Brat
3rd May 2012, 09:02
I think some gramophone tunes from that delightful young Vera Lynn popsie would be wonderful.......

HB

Carry0nLuggage
3rd May 2012, 09:10
As it's north west London a language course from Armstrong and Miller might be useful. Innit?

Pelikal
3rd May 2012, 09:21
I am, no doubt (not being military crew), being out of order posting here. As a kid in the late fifties and sixties I lived in South Ruislip, just a stones throw from the Northolt runway. We didn't live quite underneath the approach but we were pretty damn close. The Dakotas and Hercules (I think, childhood memory) came in LOW over the houses. Whenever they flew over I would run into the house screaming, having been happily playing in my sandpit!

However, I guess I got used to it, as later we would play in the fields directly underneath the approach and right by (and through:=) the perimeter fencing. I think that if I lived in the same house now with Typhoons zooming in and out of Northolt I would quite enjoy it. A thought occurred to me that is Northolt protected? Has it now become a target itself with this activity? Those houses are pretty damn close. This post will probably be deleted, more nostalgia than anything. Must be many out there from that era with particular memories. Regards.

TEEEJ
3rd May 2012, 09:22
Skua wrote

Any one know what size of shrapnel Sidewinders fragments into?

Not Sidewinders, but ASRAAM and AMRAAM.

See images from RAF Northolt at following link.

Typhoon fighter planes stationed at RAF Northolt in Olympics military build-up | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138488/Typhoon-fighter-planes-stationed-RAF-Northolt-Olympics-military-build-up.html)

RAF - ASRAAM (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/asraam.cfm)

RAF - AMRAAM (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/amraam.cfm)

HTB
3rd May 2012, 11:10
LateArmLive Post #8

I have no experience of flying the Typhoon, do you?

Can you distinguish between conjecture and a fact? I'm merely postulating that a fully fuelled and armed high performance QRA Typhoon might find the shortish runway challenging, especially on a hot day in July/August.

Your facetious comment singles you out as a minor prat, unless of course you care to contribute a positive input regarding short field performance for the above configured aeroplane based on your intimate knowledge.

Mister B

gsxrww
3rd May 2012, 12:02
I've just heard that the BBMF may ( ;)) well arrive on May 9th, nice one, thank you. Fingers crossed they also bring the Dakota.

pendrifter
3rd May 2012, 18:13
I'll say right from the start - I am not military in anyway. Just very interested in military stuff, especially the flying [daughter refers to me as anorack - whatever that means:confused:]
However this has been one of the most amusing threads I have read for a long time. The obvious humour posts, top notch. But also the statements/questions, which draw such indignant, even derogatory replies, from people in know.
When reading the posts, ref length of runway, it brought back the memory from many years ago, of an Air India 747 [I think] which managed to land at Northolt by mistake! I can't remember for sure but think they stripped everything not needed out of the aircraft, left just enough fuel to hop it from Northolt into Heathrow. And just about made it. After the event one of the gasometers on the path into Northolt/Heathrow, had "NO" painted in massive letters on the side. [Really hight tech way to solve the problem!] Not sure if the gasometers are even still there.
But it might be interesting if one of the jet jockeys make a mistake and touches down at Heathrow. Which terminal would it use!

TEEEJ
3rd May 2012, 18:40
Series of images at following.

Exercise Olympic Guardian: RAF Typhoon jets and Rapier missiles in London - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/uknews/9241731/Exercise-Olympic-Guardian-RAF-Typhoon-jets-and-Rapier-missiles-in-London.html)

MAINJAFAD
3rd May 2012, 18:50
Pendrifter

Heard that story from somebody based at Northolt at the time, long before the internet and the facts are as you state. However, I also know how much runway a Typhoon really needs from watching them day in, day out doing their stuff and they can get airborne with all the fuel and weapons that they will actually need from that airfield in hot conditions, no problem. This aircraft is not a Tornado or Jaguar. (though the DT artical about the start of this exercise did show a picture of a Brownstars GR4 with the caption 'RAF Typhoon'. Some of the comments on that web page are quite good as well).

GeeRam
3rd May 2012, 19:12
When reading the posts, ref length of runway, it brought back the memory from many years ago, of an Air India 747 [I think] which managed to land at Northolt by mistake! I can't remember for sure but think they stripped everything not needed out of the aircraft, left just enough fuel to hop it from Northolt into Heathrow. And just about made it. After the event one of the gasometers on the path into Northolt/Heathrow, had "NO" painted in massive letters on the side. [Really hight tech way to solve the problem!] Not sure if the gasometers are even still there.

Almost.....

It was a Pan Am 707 that landed by mistake. (I'm not certain, but I think Boeings TP flew over to fly it out for the short hop to LHR)

A Lufthansa 707 tried the same thing a few years later (probably an ex-Luftwaffe Dornier pilot on a nostalgia trip :E) but was 'warned off' by a flare being fired...

It was IIRC, an Air India Connie that tried the same thing as well one night, and almost took the top of the spire of the church on Harrow-On-The-Hill, after which a red light was put on top. An ex-neighbour lived nearby at the time and still remembers the sound of the 4 big radials being firewalled as it climbed out....

The South Harrow gasometer is long gone, but the Southall one is still there.

Green Flash
3rd May 2012, 19:12
I don't think they would have deployed to a runway that wasn't long enough! The fact that they are there says it all. True, you might find the perimeter fence halfway up Victoria Road following departure! And does the Typhoon have a hook or a brake chute?

octavian
3rd May 2012, 19:54
Re Post 20: have I missed anything?

Yep - Hi vis vest.

:rolleyes:

NutLoose
3rd May 2012, 20:07
One hopes they are now bringing in troops to guard the Rapiers and crews etc, i would feel safer than having the police doing it. wouldn't do to have some terrorist type chappies to seize one and start popping off left right and centre at stuff going into Heathrow.
Just let's hope the games all go off peacefully, at least most of the Worlds audience will be safe, they'll still be queuing to get in at Heathrow.

It's alright shooting down all this stuff to prevent it reaching the Games, but if your taking it out over London with missiles, wherever it drops is going to be a disaster.. It seems as if they have skipped over that fact.... One wonders if that is one reason the Rapier is shown to the press in open parkland, to avoid the obvious question.

Iwasaspotter
3rd May 2012, 20:15
The 707 was flown out the same afternoon that it arrived, after the seats had been removed as far as I remember. So it was the regular pilot that took it to LAP. I well remember the incident as I was cycling through South Ruislip on my regular after school trip to Northolt when it departed.

The constellation incident was actually an Indian Airforce machine inbound to Northolt which confused street lights with runway lights and descended well below the glidepath. I don't think it got low enough to endanger St Mary's spire, the bigger danger was to an Olympic B727 on approach to Heathrow 23L.

The red light on the church spire has been there as long as I can remember (i.e. about 1950). It was probably put there when Northolt became a civil airport in 1945/6.

My local church at Kemble also used to have a red light in the military days, I always wondered who paid the electricity bills for it?

MAINJAFAD
3rd May 2012, 20:29
Green Flash

Tiffy has both, plus can aerobrake a bit. Hook only any good if a RHAG available though. Take off in less than 5000ft run, seen Tiffy's do it at the Lincolnshire cabbage patch loads of times. Bit loud though and it would piss the Nimby's off big time.

snafu
4th May 2012, 00:11
Nutloose

Depending on where the wreckage lands, it could concievably cause millions of pounds-worth of improvements to SE or NE London!

stumpey
4th May 2012, 00:44
Impressed by the quality of the photos. Didn't realise the "Rumour rags" still used photographers. Thought they only used stolen mobile phone footage off the Interwebby?

And no, I'm not letting any of my family any where near London this summer. Not because of fear, but because of the shear bloody inconvenience the games will cause. And now their letting PROVEN cheats and lier's back in to perform, and not just Politicians! :ugh:

Pelikal
4th May 2012, 05:39
The big NO on the gas-o-meter wern't just for the aviators, you know. The big letters helped the old man and me get back from Harrow in the E-Type after a pishhup on the Hill. Dad, which gas-o-meter do we aim for to get back home?

KarlADrage
4th May 2012, 09:11
A temporary RHAG has been installed and none of Wednesday's arrivals used their chutes.

Apologies for the self-promotion but the article I've written at the link below covers some of the other stuff that's being talked about here, such as noise mitigation.
Military Aviation >> Exercise Olympic Guardian at RAF Northolt (http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2012/military-aviation-royal-air-force-typhoons-at-raf-northolt-for-exercise-olympic-guardian/index.php)

JT Eagle
4th May 2012, 09:56
Everyone is saying this is the first time fighters (or jets...) have been based or operated out of Northolt since WW2. The latest I can find is September 1944 when No.140 Squadron's Mosquitoes left for Normandy.

Did any combat aircraft operate from Northolt later than that? No RAuxAF Spitfires or Meteors?

JT

glojo
4th May 2012, 10:45
Is our country really a safer place to live.. To hold a sports event we are now committing an awful lot of our military capability which might suggest our government disagrees with that suggestion. If Argentina really wants to play games then wait a few months and occupy Gibraltar.. We do not have so much as a spare row boat to defend that peninsula, help yourself..

Are we seriously considering shooting down aircraft over the most densely populated area of Great Britain? Has anyone stopped to think about what we are doing? We are already committing a significant number of our front line RAF aircraft along with the largest warship in the Royal Navy. No doubt there will be other Naval assets playing silly fools off of the South-East coast, there are even silly reports of using 'depth charges' if the need were to arise. Hundreds, if not thousands of troops to carry out so called security duties, are we going to have Challenger tanks driving round the M25 looking for suspect vehicles. Rapier missiles with the military acting as security for the operating crews and then no doubt the police acting as security for the military.. It is madness.. Here in Devon we are sending hundreds of Police Officers up to the capital to assist with these games so how many other forces will also deplete their own police service just so London can hold these games?

A few days ago the Queen and Prince Philip paid a much appreciated visit to the city of Exeter. Yes she had security but none of this crazy nonsense we are reading about in our press, both the Queen and her husband went 'walk-about' shaking the hands of dozens of total strangers, none of which had been searched and most were carrying large bags. There surely must come a time when we ask ourselves what are we doing?? If the security service deems it safe for our Queen to walk the streets of our cities without the need for Typhoon aircraft, aircraft carriers, rapier missiles, Royal Marines and crikeys knows what else, then surely it should be safe for Mr Joe Bloggs competing in the Olympic Air pistol event to safely walk our streets?

Is the aim of the terrorist to inflict terror, be it physical, or psychological pressure? How many hours, be that hundreds of thousands, or millions of hours have there been in the planning of this sports meeting? How much money has there been spent on just the security side of holding an athletics meeting? Has the terrorist already struck and indeed won? The terrorist has not so much as said boo and yet here we are flooding our capital with military hardware 'just in case'

I totally accept we all have a duty to protect the population, but there comes a time when we have to say enough is enough!! Are we seriously going to shoot down ANY type of aircraft over the capital?

What about these Typhoon aircraft towing a banner that states 'Follow me to waste ground so I can shoot you down' Of course this would have to be in multiple languages otherwise the Politically correct brigade would be crying foul, but at least it would avoid a downed aircraft from falling on the Palace of Westminster (House of Commons)

At least if this was done it would be good training as after the games were over these aircraft could then tow other types of banner

http://www.air-ads.com/Images/aerial_advertising_marriage_proposal_banner.jpg

teeteringhead
4th May 2012, 11:03
Did any combat aircraft operate from Northolt later than that? No RAuxAF Spitfires or Meteors?

Certainly no Auxies. Post war around the capital there was 600 and 615 at Biggin with Spitfires and then Meteors, 601 with Spitfires, Vampires and Meteors at North Weald; and 604 similarly equipped at Hendon and then North Weald.

I had some hope for our gallant allies ("shut up in Polish!") whose memorial is of course nearby, but the last ones (Spitfire IXs of 317 Sqn) left in April '44, five months before 140's Mossies.

[information from Halley [Sqns of the Royal Air Force] who my friend Old-Duffer opines is not always reliable....]

sitigeltfel
4th May 2012, 12:36
I do hope the have sourced some battered leather chairs, some deck chairs, a copy of the Sketch, a bell and a black Lab.:ok: Have I missed anything?
Yes, a couple of shotguns and a clay pigeon trap to help keep ones eye in :ok:

teeteringhead
4th May 2012, 14:22
And of course a chess board on a small folding card table - to be knocked over en route to the "kites".

Thud105
4th May 2012, 15:30
The most popular GA types (C152,C172,PA-28) potter about between 90-120kts. Can a Typhoon even fly slowly enough to effect a meaningful interception (the interception procedures recently promulgated by the CAA say the Typhoon will 'join on left side of your aircraft and rock wings').

WillDAQ
4th May 2012, 15:37
The most popular GA types (C152,C172,PA-28) potter about between 90-120kts. Can a Typhoon even fly slowly enough to effect a meaningful interception (the interception procedures recently promulgated by the CAA say the Typhoon will 'join on left side of your aircraft and rock wings').

Hence why the same document details helicopter interception procedures.

Thud105
4th May 2012, 15:52
Fair enough. So why the Typhoons then? This is just like Blunkett parking tanks at Heathrow isn't it? It's all bollocks! Incidentally WillDAQ, I don't suppose you know exactly why the recently promulgated interception procedures do not comply with ENR 1-12-1?

AnglianAV8R
4th May 2012, 17:26
Thud,
For the sake of those of us who are a bit lazy, would you be so kind as to point out the difference/discrepency ? Thanks muchly

airpolice
4th May 2012, 17:54
A temporary RHAG has been installed and none of Wednesday's arrivals used their chutes.

I wonder how much that cost?

NutLoose
4th May 2012, 17:55
Call me old fashioned but what if they decided to fly more than one 172, 152, pa28 at once.... then of course there are those numerous aircraft that are close to London, one would have thought the Missile defences would have been better forming a "ring of steel" around the perifery London, but no doubt our capabilities these days would have amounted more to a collander than a shield.

Suprised we can afford a CHAG these days let alone a RHAG

Thud105
4th May 2012, 17:58
As far as I recall, ENR 1-12-1 simply says the intercepting aircraft will take up position ahead to the left. The Typhoon Olympic interception procedure offers three possible scenarios (including firing flares), but none of which require the intercepting Typhoon to take up position ahead and to the left. Seems like a recipe for a SNAFU to me, if not a FUBAR.

RAFEngO74to09
4th May 2012, 18:33
Airpolice

The equipment fitted is probably a Portable Aircraft Arrestor Gear (PAAG) not a Rotary Hydraulic Arrestor Gear (RHAG). If so, it will have been installed, along with the Rapid Erect Shelters (RES), by 5001 Sqn "at no cost". There is a budget for the maintenance of the deployable facilities stockpile - sometimes end users are required to pay, sometimes they are not - usually they pay for post-use maintenance and return to storage.

jindabyne
4th May 2012, 19:42
Are we seriously going to shoot down ANY type of aircraft over the capital?

And that surely has to say it all :( Crazy

2Planks
4th May 2012, 19:59
Depends where that aircraft is assumed to be heading. Think yourself lucky that you won't have to face the decision - luckily there are a set of trained people that can!!

On a lighter note - a Tiffy with the blowers in (I hope!!) might stop local white van men jumping the lights on The West End Road...

NutLoose
4th May 2012, 20:36
Only if they have paid their congestion charge.

Don't forget what Mathias Rust did, and that was far more than a couple of Typhoons and a handful of rockets.

MAINJAFAD
4th May 2012, 20:56
And 4 years earlier they shot down a 747 thinking it was an RC-135 and they didn't look good. They didn't see Mathias Rust as a threat, so they didn't engage. Doesn't mean that they didn't track him.

dctyke
4th May 2012, 21:23
2Planks: Depends where that aircraft is assumed to be heading. Think yourself lucky that you won't have to face the decision - luckily there are a set of trained people that can!!

A set of trained people? When F3's were doing Southern QRA I went to a brief that stated that a Government Minister had to be contacted to give permission to shoot down an AC. Now who is going to take that decision and how long will it take?

Al R
5th May 2012, 08:10
Its ok. The Mash has the lowdown on the shootdown.

The Daily Mash - MoD unveils surface-to-air cockneys (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/mod-unveils-surface%11to%11air-cockneys-201204305175/)

Pure Pursuit
5th May 2012, 13:22
I wouldn't lose sleep over it! It has been practiced for years however, none of it is open source and all of it is very, very boring.

UAV689
5th May 2012, 16:01
Just seen 2 roar off, awesome sound.

Don't be tight on the burners boys, make sure the people of London realise we still have an airforce base in London

Waterfordman
5th May 2012, 16:02
Almost everyone in the road came out for a look at them, great sight and sound to see them over and back over head.

JFZ90
5th May 2012, 22:17
Interesting photo from the Internet

564957_10150769462948733_662398732_9623095_1254404215_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75646860@N04/7000031012/)

Helol
5th May 2012, 22:21
Heard them around 1700 then again around 2140 here in the Chilterns.

TEEEJ
5th May 2012, 22:37
Mathias Rust recounts being intercepted.

aerA5oLif3k&feature=related

Eight page article at following link.

The Notorious Flight of Mathias Rust | History of Flight | Air & Space Magazine (http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/rust.html?c=y&page=1)

Rhino power
5th May 2012, 23:12
Couple of shots which demonstrate runway length clearly isn't an issue! ;)

Typhoons @ Northolt • FighterControl • Military Aviation Forum (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57593)

-RP (aka Daz)

credit the OP from fightercontrol forums

PEI_3721
6th May 2012, 01:06
Rhino, good photos, but there’s a lot of rubber on the runway, presumably left during landing.
Also, note the cable.

Jumping_Jack
6th May 2012, 10:11
Hmmm, tried to look at the photos to be met with the message that I am permanently banned from the FighterControl website! As this was my first venture there I am slightly bemused! :confused:

NutLoose
6th May 2012, 10:35
I wonder how long till the novelty factor wears off on the locals..

NutLoose
6th May 2012, 10:59
Ha, didn't take long, did it, but in the tradition of all RAF exercises, TACEVALS etc, surely they should launch them about 5 am... :p

Trim Stab
6th May 2012, 11:04
I am surprised there is enough hangar space for Typhoons plus the extra AAC Defenders that are due to be deployed. Or have they reclaimed the Netjets hangar space?

NutLoose
6th May 2012, 11:26
Post mentioning the installation of a temporary RHAG also mentions temp Hangars.

GeeRam
6th May 2012, 11:33
I wonder how long till the novelty factor wears off on the locals..

After just seeing another one overheard just after departing Northolt, I think I may write a letter of complaint to the RAF.....

Asking if they might consider making this a permanent detachment :D

Natstrackalpha
6th May 2012, 13:01
but there comes a time when we have to say enough is enough!!not since 9/11 baby. . "Dear Mr. Potential Adversary, please don`t bother us during the Olympics, as he thinks enough is enough - so we want plently of warning next time and only use marshmallows or your are horrid"..

I know, why don`t we have those cool barrage balloons that they used to have in WWII over London, much cheaper.

Still, either way, it is better to be safe than sorry. My Latin is most rusty, if not non-existent but are there words along the lines of `se vis pacem preparam bellum`?

By the way, will Mathies Rust be attending the Olympics then? . . . and, surely the HARRIER would have been a better option to the, most excellent, Typhoon, for just, precisely, this sort of mission?

Also, if we covered the whole of London with a net about 200 feet high, it could collect any frag of a freshly squeezed bogie.

Anyway, its not our fault, blame the bloody terrorists, not the tax accountants.

TEEEJ
6th May 2012, 13:10
Trim Stab wrote

I am surprised there is enough hangar space for Typhoons .....

See images

Military Aviation >> Exercise Olympic Guardian at RAF Northolt - Global Aviation Resource (http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2012/military-aviation-royal-air-force-typhoons-at-raf-northolt-for-exercise-olympic-guardian/index.php)

Typhoon fighter planes stationed at RAF Northolt in Olympics military build-up | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138488/Typhoon-fighter-planes-stationed-RAF-Northolt-Olympics-military-build-up.html)

Gulfstreamaviator
6th May 2012, 13:34
Not quite sure about that...my reheat facility is only in the microwave oven...

Perhaps NetJets and RAF can have a head to head with a noise meter..

Glf

UAV689
7th May 2012, 08:51
Any of the raf boys reading this - do you want some practice intercepting a pa28, I would love to oblige and help you out with your training!

AGS Man
7th May 2012, 10:57
I think you will find that the Arresting Gear System temporarily installed is not a RHAG but a MAAS. This is a mobile version of the American BAK 12 which can be installed pretty quickly depending on where it's fitted. On pre prepared plinths less than an hour or if staked into the ground with 31 5 ft long aluminium stakes per side a good team can do it under 12 hours.

Thud105
7th May 2012, 16:45
So, does anyone know exactly why the recently promulgated interception procedures do not comply with ENR 1-12-1?

Widger
7th May 2012, 17:12
Rhino,

That does not look like Northolt to me. There should be either a petrol station to the right of the picture with relatively low land beyond or the A40!

Cows getting bigger
7th May 2012, 17:59
Sorry to wee on your frosted flakes Widger, but it looks very like Northolt to me. :). Looking West towards the A40 and then Uxbridge.

GeeRam
7th May 2012, 18:00
Rhino,

That does not look like Northolt to me. There should be either a petrol station to the right of the picture with relatively low land beyond or the A40!

Shots taken are looking straight down the runway from West End Rd end, looking SW. You can see the low height street lights of the A40 in the bottom left hand side of the shot with the horiz anti-view banner along the peri fencing with cars on the A40 behind.

Ringway Flyer
8th May 2012, 07:48
So NO on the gasholder meant 'YES' if you wanted Northolt, and NO if you wanted Heathrow.... :D

Skips
8th May 2012, 09:15
It is Northolt. I have similar shots. Anyway, 3 Typhoons have just left. Should be back in an hour or so. ROAD BLOCK!!!

RAF Northolt - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasskipper/sets/72157629632271454/)

Widger
8th May 2012, 10:49
Okay...I accept defeat. :uhoh: It was the foreshortening of the ground beyond that caused me to doubt as the land in the climbout is relatively low. That must be Hillingdon court in the background then?

Frosties are soggy!:sad:

HTB
8th May 2012, 12:15
Yeah, that telephoto foreshortening thing can be deceptive; it gives the impression that the aeroplane is airborne between the first and second intersecting taxiways - which means a take-off run of between approximately 200-400 metres (without the trhreshold markings for reference it's hard to tell).

Is this an optical illusion, or is the performance really that good?

Mister B

Courtney Mil
8th May 2012, 12:22
Mr B,

Without a load of bombs and such, yes it really is. :ooh:

Courtney

HTB
8th May 2012, 12:29
Thanks CM

Perhaps they should put in an extra seat for a navigator to slow it down a bit...:ok:

You know I'm one of your great fans (but not as great as the one in the billiards rom at Akrotiri)...:E

Mister B

TEEEJ
8th May 2012, 12:48
HTB wrote

Is this an optical illusion, or is the performance really that good?

300 metres from a 2008 EADS release

EADS Global Website - Luftwaffe Eurofighters (http://www.eads.com/eads/int/en/news/press.20080613_eads_ds_efa.html)

The takeoff distance prescribed for aircraft in the air policing configuration is a mere 300 metres. Eurofighter's powerful engines can take the aircraft to an altitude of roughly 39,000 feet – and thus above civil flight levels – in just 90 seconds.

In cockpit footage taken at RAF Waddington.

APiiKsH0dR4&feature=related

Fakawi
8th May 2012, 21:40
@ Natstrackalpha

how brainwashed you military fans are...

Well go on, let the yellow press do your thinking.

stumpey
8th May 2012, 22:41
I know. All these fast boy toys and firework sticks aren't for keeping any bad guys out. No no no. There to keep the Athletes IN and performing so the ticket holders think its been value for money. "Got to put on a bit of a show eh"? :p

JT Eagle
8th May 2012, 23:09
This is how much runway they need for take off and landing (with allowances for foreshortening). The RHAG engagement was a planned event.

Northolt Typhoons.m4v - YouTube

JT

AGS Man
9th May 2012, 08:32
JT Eagle
Did it damage the Typhoon?

JT Eagle
9th May 2012, 10:04
Damaged before the engagement - no. It was a test of the cable and the emergency response. You can see the jet was going relatively slowly by the time it took the wire. Afterwards? Don't know, but it sat there for what seemed a fairly long time waiting for fire rescue to show up and unhook it. At some point it shut down and it was eventually towed back by a tug.

JT

PS - sorry about the double video window thing. Why does it do that?

AGS Man
9th May 2012, 10:33
JT
Thanks for that. If you watch the event at 0:54 you can see the Pendant rise sharply. It quite possibly hit the afterburner petals hence the shutdown. I would guess he was only doing 30-40 knots on engaging hence the very short run out. As I said in an earlier post it was probably a MAAS rather than a RHAG which has a much higher energy absorbing capacity though obviously not needed in this case, but for an approach end engagement thats a different matter.

Skips
9th May 2012, 22:21
Sad to see them go. Back soon though!

Afterburners.
Its getting hot in here. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasskipper/7161111026/in/photostream/lightbox/)

Typhoon over the fence.
Typhoon-Landing 6m? | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasskipper/7157465082/in/photostream/lightbox/)

Typhoon over the bush
Typhoon-on-Final | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rasskipper/7157460408/in/photostream/lightbox/)

LateArmLive
13th May 2012, 22:27
I have no experience of flying the Typhoon, do you?

Can you distinguish between conjecture and a fact? I'm merely postulating that a fully fuelled and armed high performance QRA Typhoon might find the shortish runway challenging, especially on a hot day in July/August.

Your facetious comment singles you out as a minor prat, unless of course you care to contribute a positive input regarding short field performance for the above configured aeroplane based on your intimate knowledge.

Apologies if I offended you.

I do have experience of flying the Typhoon, and can assure you that we did check the performance many, many months before we deployed. I'm sure the spotters' videos on this thread have been able to put your mind at rest in the meantime.
I would like to confirm that I can distinguish between conjecture and fact, and have been doing so for some time now. I would only share my intimate knowledge of the short-field performance of my jet with you on an open forum if I was a major prat.

phil9560
14th May 2012, 01:02
What a monumentally cool answer Latearm:O

HTB
14th May 2012, 09:27
Late Arm

No apology required - it's like a crewrom and we can speak our minds (well, most of the time). My notion of short obviously does not match the clean aircraft short field performance of the Typhoon (TEEEJ seems to have found an open source - confirmed by the videos). Airing of intimate knowledge of performance not required; a gentle confirmation, such as Courtney's, with a hint of credentials (as you have now shown) would have put me comfortably back in my box...and saved a grumpy observation:O

My turn to make the coffee...?

Mister b

usquamlad70
14th May 2012, 15:09
Only off the Pub Landlords when the Poles got back from a sortie.

usquamlad70
14th May 2012, 15:22
There were 2 gasometers one near Heathrow with LH on it and one near Northolt with NH on iteasy mistake to make I was led to believe it was a Boeing 707 and it happened just before i was posted there

usquamlad70
14th May 2012, 15:52
Try this Link
Boeing 707-321, N725PA, Pan American World Airways (PA / PAA) (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607)

Occasional Aviator
14th May 2012, 18:48
Thud105 asked:
So, does anyone know exactly why the recently promulgated interception procedures do not comply with ENR 1-12-1?

Yes, I do.

The procedures do comply with ENR 1-12-1 provided the intercepted aircraft complies. ADDITIONAL (not different) procedures are published in the CAA notices for actions after the initial intercept, if the intercepted aircraft doesn't comply - this is to allow for the various other options such as holding up the follow-me board, so there are more opportunities to comply before the use of force!

Wander00
14th May 2012, 19:18
Post 122 - Remember it well - we watched it from the classroom at Harrow County, all muttering that there seemed to be something amiss

usquamlad70
14th May 2012, 23:19
Apart from the HS 125's which were based there and the USAF T29's that visited there were two other jets, one which was based at Northolt which was a Fouga Magister belonging to the French Air Attache (he used it to go home at weekends). The other was an Italian Fiat G91 which was a frequent visitor.

airpolice
27th May 2012, 14:00
Natstrackalpha seems to have posted a message of a "not very nice" nature.

500N
27th May 2012, 14:17
"Natstrackalpha seems to have posted a message of a "not very nice" nature."

That has to be the understatement of the year !

Not surprised it was removed.

airpolice
27th May 2012, 14:19
I wonder what prompted such an outburst..........

500N
27th May 2012, 14:22
Not sure, I went back a page but decided it wasn't that interesting to read 7 pages just to get to the answer.

Anyway, apologise for the thread drift.

airpolice
27th May 2012, 14:25
I read back more, and looked at some of his other posts. This makes no sense at all.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
27th May 2012, 21:54
Ah yes - callsigns never to be forgotten. The French Air Attachés Fouga Magister - FTFTR. His Friday PM FPL used to read something akin to: EGWU DCT LFPV FL290 OAT. Never had the same (female) pax in the back seat twice! Occasionally had a set of golf clubs strapped in there though. The other memorable one was a certain L1049 - VUQLG; the approach room would suddenly become bereft of people when that strip appeared on the board! Never saw or heard of a G91 though.