PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Tours at MAN

FlyingGoggles
1st May 2012, 20:32
Has anyone done any of the Concorde tours? I'm considering getting my boyfriend (and me) a tour, as a birthday present for him. It was after a comment that he loves how the aircraft looks, has always had an interest in it, and that it was a dream of his to fly on it.

Obviously I can't give him that, but this might be nice? He's starting to catch my aircraft enthusiasm a bit, and it'd be a nice thing for us to do together. The thing is, I'm not sure which tour would be best. Personally I like the look of the technical tour, a good length, and not out of my budget. Could then be combined with a day's spotting at the park. Can you take photos? (I'm a keen photographer). Anything else I should know? Or is this not a good present idea?

This would be around June time, as I'm at university til then.

PAXboy
1st May 2012, 20:49
I took the tour in September 2006, before the hanger was built. I was keen to go as I had been on G-BOAC and my friend had never been on a Concorde.

We took the longer 'technical' tour (not sure which ones they have right now) and that is a smaller group and a longer time talking about the technology. We both loved the tour. I, because of the tecchie and she because it was just so wonderful to be close to those perfect lines. We both loved the visit.

I cannot recall how much it cost but I didn't think twice at the time and have never regretted it.

FlyingGoggles
1st May 2012, 20:59
Yes, it's the technical tour I'm looking at - think it's £21 each, plus our train fare up to Manchester. I've been to the viewing park once before and was able to see into the hangar. Such a beautiful aircraft, a real loss to aviation.

I think this might be a winner :)

captain_flynn
1st May 2012, 21:48
Depends how technical it is. You say your partner has only just gained an interest in aircraft, might he find the technical tour abit over the top for information?
I hope he enjoys it regardless of which tour you choose. :)

AircraftOperations
1st May 2012, 22:32
Concorde Tours (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/ConcordeconferenceTours)

AndoniP
1st May 2012, 22:51
Flyinggoggles

We did the technical tour last year and I have to say it was awesome. The guy showing us around certainly knew a lot about even the smallest things about the aircraft. The tour certainly left us a lot more knowledgeable about Concorde. I can thoroughly recommend it. If he's a Concorde fan you'd do well to try and get to duxford, yeovilton and brooklands, some lovely historic examples there, but Manchester's Concorde g-boac was the most important as it.was the one that carried the royals.

The viewing park is great. You have a good view of the taxiway and runway and there are loads of opportunities to take great photos- you may need a 200mm lens though.

Great idea for a present in my opinion!:ok:

PAXboy
2nd May 2012, 11:11
I don't think the tour can be 'too' technical, even for those with a starting interest. My friend was not that technically interested in the aircraft but very much enjoyed the close up view and the technical things that she did follow. As I recall, the guide was good at explaining both the high level and detail.

timmcat
2nd May 2012, 12:23
Just to echo what the others have said, I did the technical tour in 2008. My daughter bought it me for my birthday (and came along too). Really, really interesting. Nice small group and enthusiastic and knowledgeable host. I couldn't recommend it more, and yes, not too technical at all.

Westlakejawa
2nd May 2012, 12:32
Just go for it !!!no regrets.

MAN777
2nd May 2012, 13:05
If you are coming to Manchester why not squeeze in the Air and space museum in Castlefield (a short walk from Deansgate station) its free.

FlyingGoggles
22nd May 2012, 18:16
Just wanted to update everyone on this.

I've spoken to my boyfriend, and we're going for the 40 minute tour instead. in his words "It gives us more time to watch the other aircraft." (He's learning!).

We're heading up on Saturday. The last time I visited the viewing park was July of last year. Anything new I should know about?

Also, I know you can get a bus from the airport train station, where on the station do you go for that?

Any interesting aircraft I should look out for? (I'm taking a camera with a 70-300mm lens).

JEM60
23rd May 2012, 07:49
ANDONIP. G-BOAC is not the most important one. That honour goes to BOAB still at Heathrow, and it's absolutely the most important one, 'COS I FLEW IN IT!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Planemike
23rd May 2012, 08:02
FG..........

Also, I know you can get a bus from the airport train station, where on the station do you go for that?

Bus station is close to the railway station, just follow the signs. About 2 minutes walk. There is one bus an hour to the viewing park, more if you are prepared for a 10 minute walk, bus goes through the cargo area.

Planemike

Airclues
23rd May 2012, 08:24
FlyingGoggles

I did the "40 minute" tour last Sunday (although it lasted much longer than 40 minutes). Had a good look around the outside, sat in the leather passenger seats and then sat in the captains seat . The guides were very knowledgeable and friendly.
If you drive then the tour price also includes the car park (which is not cheap). There's lots more to see at the viewing park. As well as the great view of the airfield, you can also visit the Trident (free).
I hope that you have a great day.

Dave

FlyingGoggles
23rd May 2012, 20:37
Well, we're now booked onto Saturday's Technical Tour, and both very much looking forward to it! I'm taking my camera, and we're going looking for a rather large Airbus while we're there - shouldn't be hard to spot even with my bad eyesight!

Looks like we've picked a good day for it too, weather should be lovely, we're going to take a picnic and enjoy ourselves.

Now, if any photographers fancy sharing any tips for the day, they'll be very much appreciated :)

LBIA
23rd May 2012, 21:12
It's just a shame that the co-pilots window screen on Concorde G-BOAC was smashed a few years ago. Now both British Airways and Manchester Airport Visitor Park say it can't be fixed.

British Airways and Manchester airport unable to fix Concorde's cracked window | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1493476_british-airways-and-manchester-airport-unable-to-fix-concordes-cracked-window)

But the Save Concorde group says that if it's allowed to power the aircraft up and bring her back to life they could drop the nose and the window screen could be fixed by its engineers at no cost to BA or Manchester airport.

Save Concorde Group » CONCORDE “ALPHA-CHARLIE” CAN BE REPAIRED (http://www.saveconcordegroup.co.uk/news/concorde-alpha-charlie-can-be-repaired/)

DX Wombat
23rd May 2012, 23:03
think it's £21 each, HOW MUCH? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/fainting.gif
Get yourselves to Duxford (http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford) where you can see the experimental version (the guides are most helpful) and also a whole host of other wonderful aircraft and exhibits for just £17. (http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford/tickets)

tyne
23rd May 2012, 23:03
So how did the window get broken?

Dave Barnshaw
24th May 2012, 15:57
:D:DHi JEM60, I flew in AA,AC and AG,but the most important and historical one is AD as she holds the record for the fastest crossing from JFK to LHR in 2hrs.52mins.59secs.,I hope you enjoyed your flight in AB as I did in AA,AC.AG.

Jarvy
24th May 2012, 17:16
AD is the most important but then I would say that as I volunteer on the Intrepid in NYC where AD is on display!

FlyingGoggles
26th May 2012, 21:56
Well, what an enjoyable day I've had.

Currently uploading around 277 photos to my Flickr page, but, while that's happening, I'll say this.

The tour was awesome, the atmosphere around the park was great and we got to see some very interesting aircraft, although I'm having to type registrations into Google to find out about some of them.

The tour was technical enough to keep us interested, but not so technical that we got confused. I was very surprised at how small Concorde is n the inside, I'm 5ft 2 and still had to duck! I also know why I never went into engineering, that engineer's panel looked confusing as anything! Seriously, how did people work that thing without their brains exploding???

We also got to see the A380 take off (missed it landing by about five minutes :( )

My boyfriend enjoyed it immensely, said it was a great way to spend a day. I'm not sure he's that keen on the Dash 8 though, kept referring to them as giant carrot slicers! I quite like them, they're not something I've ever seen before.

I must ask though, what are these radio boxes lots of people seem to have? I think they pick up ATC, but are they legal? Seemed very useful though :)

Skipness One Echo
27th May 2012, 03:08
I must ask though, what are these radio boxes lots of people seem to have? I think they pick up ATC, but are they legal? Seemed very useful though
www.pprune.org/atc-issues/206063-listening-uk-atc-communications-law.html

They are VERY useful, and informative if you want to learn.