PDA

View Full Version : RAF CLUB PICTURE, Frank Wootton

mike rondot
1st May 2012, 18:31
Can anyone remember seeing the original of this painting of a Canberra by Frank Wootton on their travels around the UK? The subject is Air Chief Marshal Sir Lewis Hodges's Canberra over the Alps during the UK-New Zealand Air Race.
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z409/5dilly/FWCanberra.jpg
We need to find the original in order to have a copy made to replace the faded copy in the RAF Club.
Thanks for looking.

Mike R

jindabyne
1st May 2012, 21:47
Why has the original of a relatively young painting become faded?(serious question)

NutLoose
1st May 2012, 22:01
I think he is saying the print they have has faded so they want to borrow the original to get it copied.

A2QFI
2nd May 2012, 05:06
Surely if a print was made there would have been more than one, limited edition etc?

jindabyne
2nd May 2012, 08:08
Aah - failed to read the bottom line!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
2nd May 2012, 10:40
Have you tried here:

Wealdown Fine Art Prints - Prints (http://www.wealdown.com/aviation/index.html)

Duncs:ok:

millerscourt
2nd May 2012, 18:04
Looks as if he is flying through the Alps rather than over them like they had no choice but to do in WW11!!

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2012, 08:34
MC, artistic licence?

A2, it does not look like a limited edition. I imagine, as proven by the fading, that the printing techniques of 60 years ago are not as good as they are now. Somewhere I have a Vulcan print which is going the same way.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2012, 08:36
Deviation, but looking at the Wootton site and the Sinking of the Tirpitz, did the Lancaster have bomb doors when carrying the Tall Boy?

squeaker
3rd May 2012, 09:37
Think that the RAF museum at Hendon have a lot of Frank Wootton originals in storage as well as on display. That would be my first look.

simon brown
3rd May 2012, 13:05
I recall my father giving me a book he was given in the late 30s "How to Draw Aeroplanes" this was part of a small series of "How to draw...." books by various artists covering figures, animals trains etc

This particular one was by Frank Wootton and what a lovely book it is too.

Itstarted with form & perspective then moved on to light n shade and composition of picture

mike rondot
3rd May 2012, 15:37
My guess is that it has faded because it is a photo print on canvas from the original and was not made with light-fast inks. I believe it is a one-off copy made about 8 years ago from a not very good transparency.
The original is no doubt a vibrant and colourful picture but this copy is rather flat and dull and does no justice to the great aircraft, the great man and the great event it seeks to portray.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will contact the RAF Museum curator of pictures. FW's family do not have the original or a transparency on file.

NutLoose
3rd May 2012, 20:42
Mike is there not a label on the back for the people that did it, or an invoice somewhere, if they scanned it they may have the original scan on file.

mike rondot
4th May 2012, 21:42
No, I looked for all that obvious stuff on the picture and frame but had not thought to ask the accountants to check their archive. Thanks.

Tinribs
27th May 2012, 20:06
Mike

You do another one mate it will be just as good

Perhaps you could include a lightning going in the wrong direction as usual

Paddy

NutLoose
27th May 2012, 20:14
Can you not scan it then boost the scans colours?

Gulfstreamaviator
28th May 2012, 07:38
auto adjust, gives the original colours back.

sorry can not repost from laptop, but it looks good....

so take scan to any good photo processorshop, and get it reprinted on canvas.

glf

Wensleydale
28th May 2012, 08:50
so take scan to any good photo processorshop, and get it reprinted on canvas.

With the permission of the artist's estate of course!