PDA

View Full Version : MoD St Athan

mathers_wales_uk
1st May 2012, 13:07
As MoD St Athan is finally experiencing some good fortune I thought now is the time to start a thread. MoD St Athan in recent years has lost thousands of jobs due to the withdrawal of maintenance of RAF aircraft.

In February 2012 the last military aircraft to be serviced at MoD St Athan which was a VC10 looked like doom and gloom for the airfield. Read Article
(http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/mod-st-athan-era-ends-as-last-vc10-aircraft-leaves-maintenance-base/)
January 2012 it was announced that Hunter Flying Ltd was to take a 10 year lease on two hangars.

Hunter Flying Ltd currently oversees the maintenance and operation of the largest private aircraft collection of it's kind in the world. Read article
(http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/classic-aircraft-company-takes-ten-year-lease-on-st-athan-hangars/)
April 2012 It was announced that eCube Solutions PPL that aims to become a European market leader in providing end-of-life solutions for aircraft. eCube solutions has also signed a 10 year lease on a hanger. Read article
(http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/ecube-solutions-aims-to-become-a-european-market-leader-in-providing-end-of-life-solutions-for-aircraft/)
May 2012 It was announced today that Cardiff Aviation a Maintenance Repair Overhaul (MRO) company set up by Bruce Dickinson is to create at least 1,000 jobs at MoD St Athan based at the Twin Peaks Hangar.

The company will provide maintenance services for aircraft up to the size of a Boeing 767 along with training facilities. Read article
(http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-confirms-1000-aviation-jobs-for-wales/)

AirGuru
1st May 2012, 15:06
Brilliant news ! I particularly like the quote:

"But the added value we can bring to the package is that while the team is expert in the provision of technical services, we also have expertise in aircraft sourcing and leasing, another key aspect to the deployment of a total aviation services package, hopefully including the development of new airline services for South Wales – Cardiff Airport has tremendous potential to challenge the successful English regional airports."

Brilliant news for St Athan, South Wales and hopefully Cardiff Airport. Airlines that operate at CWL could therefore save a lot of money if maintenance happened literally down the road, instead of flying to the other side of the UK !

mathers_wales_uk
1st Aug 2012, 14:58
Two of the 'Red Star Rebels' L-29 Delfins (G-DELF & G-BYCT) made their first flight as a pair.

Hunter T.7 G-BXFI/WV372 was delieverd to new owner at North Weald

Hunter F.58 G-PSST now has a second pilot and has been very active during the month.

Hunter T.7 G-BVGH/XL573 has been very active during the month.

See full article here (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/hunter-flying-ltd-july-updates/)

mathers_wales_uk
1st Aug 2012, 15:09
On 9th May it was reported that Cardiff Aviation Ltd has purchased it's first simulator which is a Boeing 747 simulator and should have been delieverd in June.

On 12th July Cardiff Aviation had officially received the keys to the Twin Peak hangar at MoD St Athan. At this time everything was running as planned and there was hope of an announcement in three weeks or so.

On 21st July Mario Fulgoni was appointed as executive chairman. Cardiff Aviation Ltd was confident that the Civil Aviation Authority certification to maintain aircraft in the UK to be secured within 8 to 12 weeks. Cardiff Aviation Ltd has now all it's senior management in place.

For full article - click here (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/cardiff-aviation-ltd-what-we-know-so-far/http://)

blue up
4th Aug 2012, 13:32
Any idea who the engineering licence holder is?

TSR2
4th Aug 2012, 14:36
On 9th May it was reported that Cardiff Aviatioh Ltd has purchased it's first simulator which is a Boeing 747 simulator and should have been delieverd in June.

I would not think there is much demand for simulator time on a 747 these days.

cornishsimon
4th Aug 2012, 16:03
Surely as the 747 passenger models are retired, quite a few will be converted to freighters so there will still be a huge demand to train on the 747

cs

Phileas Fogg
4th Aug 2012, 19:43
And how many successful British, indeed Welsh, cargo operators are there with St Athan being (not) so easy accessible for non British operators?

tchaikovsky
4th Aug 2012, 21:41
Reading these forums is like reading the daily mail - doom and gloom amongst genuine efforts being made by aviation professionals to generate wealth and employment.

Phileas Fogg et al do you seriously believe these BUSINESSMEN are incorporating these businesses with the intention of making a loss without having done their homework? Are you really that naive? That 747 sim will generate enough revenue alone via the millions of iron maiden fans out there keen to kiss some iron ass!

mathers_wales_uk
5th Aug 2012, 07:46
I have seen previously a simulator experience with Cpt Bruce Dickinson being charged for a couple of hundred pounds at one of the London Airports. I'm sure this can be replicated at the St Athan site to generate extra income when the simulator is not required.

I hear there are some exciting prospects on the horizon and the appointment of Mario Falgoni who was the CEO of Astraeus Ltd could well be a hint of a possible avenue to be explored at some point in the future for the organisation.

Having someone who has held positions at SkyGo Leasing, Alpha Aviation Ltd, Bond Aviation Solutions, Astraeus Ltd, British World Airlines, Go Fly Ltd, Airtours & Inter European Airways surely has enough experience to ease the nerves of the doubters.

There may hopefully be some news released in the next week or two

Phileas Fogg
5th Aug 2012, 11:18
And don't forget Mario Fulgoni co-founded Crown Estate Agents ..... or am I showing my age here? :)

And what were Astraeus/Bond best at? ... Selling type ratings at overpriced prices to young hopefuls trying to get their foot in the door!

mathers_wales_uk
5th Aug 2012, 15:22
You could be right there Phileas Fogg however I for one is not sure if this,

I cannot comment personally on selling type ratings at overpriced prices to young hopefulls as I havent been looking into that side of things. Surely there is nothing wrong with this especially if people are willing to pay as they were a business seeking to make as much money as possible from where they could.

I have heard that other companies were quite expensive doing the same however cannot remember which ones off the top of my head.

I personally hope that the Cardiff Aviation Ltd is a major success living in South Wales and the possible opportunity to develop in my career in the aviation industry. Regardless I will be following the developments of Cardiff Aviation Ltd with great interest and will share thems as I find out more.

TSR2
5th Aug 2012, 18:47
Having someone who has held positions at SkyGo Leasing, Alpha Aviation Ltd, Bond Aviation Solutions, Astraeus Ltd, British World Airlines, Go Fly Ltd, Airtours & Inter European Airways surely has enough experience to ease the nerves of the doubters.

On the other hand, how many of these companies are still around.

macdo
6th Aug 2012, 08:29
Well said, TSR, I'm dismayed to find the same old face(s) at the helm. I know you can't keep a good man down, but how many bites of the " lets turn a large fortune (usually someone elses) into a small fortune" cherry do these guys get before they come up with an organisation that doesn't fold in the first five years. Fingers crossed that this is not more Welsh Assembly money going down the drain.

mathers_wales_uk
6th Aug 2012, 15:28
Mario Falgoni to my knowledge is not putting any of his money in to the venture and it is the money of Bruce Dickinson and investors at stake. Didn't the Icelandic owners cause the demise of Astraeus Airlines and not the CEO if I remember correctly? Also was Mario Falgoni at the helm of the these businesses before they no longer existed and did they go bust or simply merged?

Bruce Dickinson obviously thought highly of Mario Falgoni at Astraeus or surely he wouldn't invite him on board. Bruce Dickinson is naturally looking at further success here in the aviation industry greater than just flying an will no doubt try and bring in the best people for the jobs.

Even before signing the contract for the Twin Peaks Hangar Bruce Dickinson persuaded the MoD to sell the aircraft maintenance scaffolding to him which was earmarked for scrap which they eventually obliged and he got a good deal out of it too.

mathers_wales_uk
7th Sep 2012, 14:14
A number of aviation enthusiasts have of late been offered abusive behaviour whilst viewing aircraft on the Old Llantwit Major road which is situated alongside the Southern Boundary of RAF St Atahn, Vale of Glamorgan.

Aviation enthusiasts left intimidated while viewing at St Athan - View Article (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/aviation-enthusiasts-left-intimidated-while-viewing-at-st-athan/)

mathers_wales_uk
12th Sep 2012, 13:02
Latest update from Cardiff Aviation Ltd is that the recruitment schedule will become clearer in a few weeks.

Click to read all the Cardiff Aviation updates (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/cardiff-aviation-ltd-what-we-know-so-far/)

Phileas Fogg
12th Sep 2012, 13:08
And apparently a sparrow farted in Welsh airspace the Tuesday before last :)

mathers_wales_uk
6th Oct 2012, 22:04
First two aircraft arrive for Cardiff Aviation Ltd - click to view article (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/first-aircraft-arrives-at-cardiff-aviation-ltd/)

cornishsimon
6th Oct 2012, 23:42
Where's buffalo joe ?!!

cs

Sonic Bam
7th Oct 2012, 09:12
"The Wales Air Forum are delighted with the arrival of the first aircraft to be maintained at the Cardiff Aviation Ltd maintenance, repair and overhaul facility at St Athan in the Vale of Glamorgan."

What name are Cardiff Aviation Ltd approved under? Looking at the CAA's list of approved Part 145 organisations, there is only the British Airways subsidiaries and GE listed with addresses in Glamorgan, Cardiff or St Athan.

If Cardiff Aviation Ltd don't have a Part 145 approval, how are they these CL215s being "maintained"?:confused:

spannersatcx
7th Oct 2012, 09:42
how are they these CL215s being "maintained"?
As they are Canadian registered I would imagine under a Canadian authority!

N707ZS
7th Oct 2012, 10:06
Must be quite hard to find someone qualified on CL215s.

mathers_wales_uk
7th Oct 2012, 15:41
From Cardiff Aviation Ltd Tw***er Feed:

Hi Av-geeks.Yep, we got some water bombers going through St A.Flew one me-self from Limoges. They're more to do with the Ice Pilots TV doc than CA, although we're looking after them for a bit.Cracking lumps of kit, the ducks.We'll get some pix & vids up of the ducks asap.

Sonic Bam
7th Oct 2012, 18:15
So Cardiff Aviation Ltd have got TCCA approval ahead of EASA Part 145? Nice work, that must have been a fierce tricky piece to achieve. Saying that, the Transport Canada website doesn't list Cardiff Aviation Ltd either. So, back to the original question, how are they these CL215s being "maintained"?

spannersatcx
7th Oct 2012, 18:56
The fact that the CAA nor the TCCA websites do not list the fact that Cardiff Aviation have the relevant approvals doesn't mean anything, websites are not difinitive, if you really are that bothered about it, either ring the CAA or TCCA or in fact Cardiff Aviation.

Sonic Bam
7th Oct 2012, 21:35
Just looking for factual reporting and promotion, Spanners, that's all.

Buster the Bear
8th Oct 2012, 20:02
Must have employed engineers with Canadian sign off approval?

SWBKCB
9th Oct 2012, 05:38
Based on how Buffalo seem to operate purely from watching 'Ice Pilots', could they not be providing their own engineers and just using the facilities of CAL?

mathers_wales_uk
1st Dec 2012, 00:38
St Athan Update 1st Dec 12

On 29th Oct 12 Cardiff Aviation Ltd received it's first aircraft for maintenance. The aircraft was a Boeing 757-200 of Yakutia Air registration VP-BFG which required an engine change and departed on the 31st Oct 12

On 29th Nov 12 eCube Solutions LLP took a delivery of an Air France Airbus A320 registration F-GJVA and on 30th Nov 12 they took delivery of a Frontier Airlines Airbus A318 registration N801FR.

dc9-32
1st Dec 2012, 06:46
One way ticket for N801FR :bored:

mathers_wales_uk
16th Jan 2013, 10:11
Could things be moving forward for Cardiff Aviation Ltd? According to their social networking website there are currently 2 x Boeing 737-400 undergoing maintenance at Cardiff Aviation Ltd.

Cardiff Aviation Ltd has also appointed Colin Harrison as Head of Base Maintenance. - View Source (http://walesairforum.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/cardiff-aviation-appoints-head-of-base-maintenance/)