PDA

View Full Version : EL AL 747 LHR yesterday

garibaldi22k
1st May 2012, 07:37
All
On my daily commute between Windsor & Luton, I get very used to the comings & goings at both my 'local' airports. However, yesterday evening on my return around 16:40, I think I saw a EL AL (?) 747 abort it's landing at LHR & climb really steeply away to effect a go-around.
I know from reading these forums that it is not an uncommon occurrence, but can anyone shed some more light on it, please ?
thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st May 2012, 09:52
There could be many reasons for this routine procedure. Most common is that the aircraft ahead did not clear the runway in time. Whether someone will give you a precise reason remains to be seen...

DaveReidUK
1st May 2012, 12:33
There are typically about 550 go-arounds per year at Heathrow. I've heard it said that if the figure was lower then it would show that the controllers aren't doing their job properly :)

It's always worth looking at them on the WebTrak replay. On the evening of last December 15th there were 3 consecutive aircraft sent around on 09L, which is very unusual, though alas they have now scrolled off the end of WebTrak's 3 months' history.

garibaldi22k
1st May 2012, 14:47
Thanks both , for the info

poke53281
1st May 2012, 18:30
It's always worth looking at them on the WebTrak replay. On the evening of last December 15th there were 3 consecutive aircraft sent around on 09L, which is very unusual, though alas they have now scrolled off the end of WebTrak's 3 months' history.

Webtrak ? Is that still going ? Have you tried the later Aircraft trackers such as Casper or Planefinder.net, they have replays up to a year.

DaveReidUK
1st May 2012, 22:51
Webtrak ? Is that still going ? Have you tried the later Aircraft trackers such as Casper or Planefinder.net, they have replays up to a year.

If you're looking for accurate arrival and departure tracks for 100% of LHR movements, neither Casper nor PlaneFinder will give you that. They can't track aircraft that don't have ADS-B (bmi Embraers, for example) and they can't accurately track aircraft with inertial-based navigation systems such as Lufthansa B735s.

WebTrak, on the other hand, captures 99.9% of movements. It also displays accurate heights, which the aforementioned systems don't.

Skipness One Echo
1st May 2012, 23:39
Anyone know why planefinder can't see the flybe and BA CityFlyer ERJs?

Groundloop
2nd May 2012, 08:27
Anyone know why planefinder can't see the flybe and BA CityFlyer ERJs?

The normal reason is that the aircraft does not have ADS-B - only Mode-S. A lot of regional aircraft are not ADS-B equipped. However, no guarantee this is the actual reaon - just a possibility.

poke53281
2nd May 2012, 18:38
If you're looking for accurate arrival and departure tracks for 100% of LHR movements, neither Casper nor PlaneFinder will give you that. They can't track aircraft that don't have ADS-B (bmi Embraers, for example) and they can't accurately track aircraft with inertial-based navigation systems such as Lufthansa B735s.

WebTrak, on the other hand, captures 99.9% of movements. It also displays accurate heights, which the aforementioned systems don't.

Oh i see i didnt realize they used different systems to get the info. Maybe ill check webtrex out again.
Cheers

DaveReidUK
2nd May 2012, 18:46
The normal reason is that the aircraft does not have ADS-B - only Mode-S. A lot of regional aircraft are not ADS-B equipped. However, no guarantee this is the actual reason.

You are correct, very few Embraers are so equipped.