PDA

View Full Version : Another lost - Croppie in Gippsland Vic

VH-XXX
1st May 2012, 02:40
From the Age.com.au

A man is dead after a crop duster crashed and burst into flames in Gippsland this morning.

Police said the light plane crashed near Denhams Road, Hallston, about 20 kilometres north-east of Leongatha, just after 9.30am, killing the pilot.
<iframe id="dcAd-1-3" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.age.news/national/victoria;cat=national;ctype=article;cat1=victoria;pos=3;sz=3 00x250;tile=3;ord=5.0291025E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> < /iframe>
A police spokeswoman said it appeared the plane caught fire on impact, making identification of the victim and the type and registration of the aircraft difficult.

Police believe the pilot was the sole occupant.

Read more: Pilot killed in fiery plane crash (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pilot-killed-in-fiery-plane-crash-20120501-1xvzn.html#ixzz1ta8p1Uam)

VH-XXX
1st May 2012, 04:23
From the Herald Sun.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/05/01/1226343/668980-fatal-plane-crash.jpg

TOUCH-AND-GO
1st May 2012, 04:24
May he rest in peace. :(

airaholic
1st May 2012, 04:28
Fark :(:(:(

Jabawocky
1st May 2012, 05:29
Interesting and a bit distressing for some no doubt, but that photo appears to have the pilot still in the airframe.

Thats news fast to your PC screen alright.

While I am not offended and distressed I know it really does upset some folk and usually any photos in the media are not explicitly displaying dead bodies.

Another sad day in Ag aviation. :sad:

Watch My Form
1st May 2012, 05:53
:mad:

RIP TR

Lasiorhinus
1st May 2012, 05:56
Crap. More than a little concerned for who this might be. The aircraft looks familiar :sad:

Mr Milk
1st May 2012, 06:51
Probably best you don't guess anything mate.
TR was a very experienced pilot and one of the true gentlemen I've met along the way... Very distressing news for me this morning, my condolences to his kids.

RIP mate.

VH-XXX
1st May 2012, 07:55
FYI Las, the news are reporting a 50 yr old pilot, with commercial airliner experience, flying crop dusters on a part time basis and new to the area.

Wally Mk2
1st May 2012, 08:07
Very sorry to hear of this as I think I know the guy."TR" (if it is indeed the same guy) was a hell of a character!:sad:

Wmk2

Trojan1981
1st May 2012, 08:09
These guys routinely take calculated risks, relying on good planning as well as their copious reserves of skill and experience. It's sad to see when it goes wrong. Thoughts and condolences with his family tonight. Rest in peace.

joblogs
1st May 2012, 10:06
Worked with him in the regionals great operator great bloke will be missed RIP TR

forever flying
1st May 2012, 10:41
Used to live in the area and watch them do their thing all the time. Absolutely shocking news, RIP to the pilot and my condolences to the family.. :uhoh:

Wally Mk2
1st May 2012, 13:17
Been confirmed was the same "TR" I knew,damn:sad:

This guy was nuts back in the 80's down at YPID. He knew how to fly with his eyes closed! Natural born SOB.
At least he went to his grave knowing he had a win, those that knew TR will know what that means.

RIP

Wmk2

Homesick-Angel
1st May 2012, 13:34
Looks from the position of the wings that it may have nosed in pretty hard.

Bloody shocking image. I sure as hell hope that they haven't posted the image while the deceased is still there. That is not cool. I personally am not stressed about it, but sure would be if it was one of my family or close friends and they are the ones that matter right now

BULLDOG 248
1st May 2012, 15:12
Hope it wasn't the guy that flew the C402 at YPID and then went onto big-brother on a similar route?????? Please PM me anyone!!!!!!!!

HarleyD
1st May 2012, 20:58
The aircraft is a Gippsland Aeronautics pa25-235-a9, highly modified version of pawnee built at yltv in the early 1990's. Better handling and generally less prone to post impact fire than its predecessor.

I have spent many hours flying one of these aircraft in the hills of south gippland and must say that the strips, terrain and multitude of wires make this one of the most difficult areas to work that i have encountered.

Another sad day, so pause and reflect on the effort that pilots like this put into bringing high quality low cost food and fibre to every one of you, every day.

I have met this pilot, but never worked with him like many who have posted.
Condolences to family and friends, I know that he was well respected in these parts and will be missed.

HD

KRUSTY 34
1st May 2012, 21:42
Sad day indeed.

Rest in peace old mate. It was a privilige to have known and worked with you.

Heart felt thoughts with your family.:(