PDA

View Full Version : Young, low hours, looking for resources/advice

Cburka01
29th Apr 2012, 20:55
Hi there, and I apologize if this post is in the wrong spot. I've read a lot of posts on the site, but just joined.

I want to know about flying in Costa Rica, specifically. I'd also be interested to know about Australia and New Zealand. I know what the minimum requirements are in the US, but I haven't really found anything on CR. I know AUS and NZ are similar to the US, but their GA markets are similar. CR's general aviation market is not similar, and I know there's only one flight school. Or at least that's what my research tells me. Other than that, and that they have limited radar and very few airports, I know next to nothing. If anyone does, or could at least point me to some useful resources you know about, please let me know. I'm a 300 hour dually rated commercial, working for my CFI.

I know I don't qualify yet, I just want expand my knowledge. Please don't be rude. I am not a helpless hopeful wannabe, just a curious 23 y/o with an itch for experience abroad. Thanks!

DauphinDude
29th Apr 2012, 21:14
I have researched NZ and AUS myself, and chances down there are pretty slim as far as I understood. You need to have a valid working permit, and they arenīt that easy to get. There are low-timers everywhere, so the question is; why would they spend resources on getting you from the US to AUS :-)

Cburka01
29th Apr 2012, 21:29
Haha yea I know. That's what I meant by saying the GA markets are similar. I know AU and NZ train a lot of pilots and they are a dime a dozen just like they are in the US. I know the visa is not an easy task either. They took pilots off of the skilled migrants list. I'm really looking to learn about Central America, mainly because it is a budding area as far as tourism (ecotourism as well as extreme adventurists), and because I know general aviation is not big there. I know that in Costa Rica it is relatively easy for a foreigner to start a business prior to obtaining residency so long as they hire locals. I know the economy is doing well there, and I know that tourism has reached over 2 million per year there.

My main interest, like anyone else, is to start my own aviation-related business, whether it's running heli tours or skydiving. I'm not disillusioned about what it takes to do that either.

I just want to know what non-airline opportunities already exist down there, and what to expect as far as what they require for experience. I think the dual rating will help, but honestly it's going to be very difficult to rack up the hours in both categories. I like helis more, which is why I posted here.