PDA

View Full Version : Confiscated Items In Security

donnlass
29th Apr 2012, 11:19
When Security Agents confiscate items from passengers in Security what happens to those items?

Is there any way of getting them back when returning to the airport?

AircraftOperations
29th Apr 2012, 15:40
I asked this question recently at one UK airport and was confidently told that nowadays they are disposed of/recycled, and the staff can't accept them even if a passenger insists that they would prefer it not to go to waste.

However, I have had a UK security agent ask to keep my Leatherman tool about 5 years ago when I forgot it was with me. I had no problem with that, at the time.

Other option is to post it to your preferred address, assuming you have time to get to the post office - or check it in with your carrier.

dhc83driver
29th Apr 2012, 17:28
London city airport has a vending machine at security with pre paid parcel envelops for sending home those forgotten items, not sure as to the cost (if its any thing like the parking alot!).

donnlass
29th Apr 2012, 21:16
Thanks for your replies, methinks next time, moisturiser in smaller container and no chisel lol.:*:*

Thats a good idea to post them home if they are valuable. Or even to relatives if they will need someone to be in to receive them.

Heathrow Harry
30th Apr 2012, 12:20
A couple of years back at Cairns Mrs Harry left her "dangerous goods" with the check-in girl at MACAIR and collected them when we returned the next day.........

I also managed to charm a young lady at a coffee shop at LHR to mail a stamped envelope (which she saw me load up) to my home address

Security make sure the Swiss Army Knife people stay in profit - I buy about one a year.............

Tableview
30th Apr 2012, 12:37
I tried to fly from SOU with some meat which I had bought in JER. As there was a foot and mouth outbreak in the UK, even though that did not affect the Channel Islands, I was told it was not allowed as it had transitted the UK. As it was several kilos of expensive fillet steak, I went to the security desk and asked if someone could take it and maybe give it to a charity or similar. they assured me this would be done, and took my details. I thought 'yeah right', but a few days later I received a letter from the warden of an old age home thanking me!