PDA

View Full Version : UK Tightens Export Rules for Argentina

ORAC
29th Apr 2012, 08:09
Ares: UK Tightens Export Rules for Argentina (http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:48eb8a5b-716e-4d6b-9332-045eac85bf41)

The 30 year anniversary of the invasion of the Falklands may have come and gone, but that has not led to an easing of tensions between the UK and Argentina.

With Argentina trying to apply economic pressure on the UK, London is now fighting back and tightening export controls on military and dual-use goods.

The new policy updates one formulated in 1998, which allowed export licenses to be issued for equipment that maintains existing Argentine military capabilities, but not for kit that would enhance the South American state's military prowess.

But London is now going further. "New restrictions on the export and trade of licensable goods with the Argentine military will now be introduced with immediate effect," Judith Wilcox, the parliamentary undersecretary of state for Business, Innovation and Skills tells the House of Lords.

Here's thew guideliness: "In future, no licenses shall be granted for any military or dual use goods and technology being supplied to military end users in Argentina, except in exceptional circumstances. We will review extant licenses for military goods to the Argentine Armed Forces with a view to revoking any that are not consistent with the revised policy. This decision will not affect licenses for items intended for end users other than the Argentine military."

sitigeltfel
29th Apr 2012, 09:42
A fairly pathetic response. Banning imports of all Argentinian products into the UK would focus their attention.

There is probably some EU law against that. :rolleyes:

Shack37
29th Apr 2012, 10:18
A fairly pathetic response. Banning imports of all Argentinian products into the UK would focus their attention.

There is probably some EU law against that. :rolleyes:

I think the EU in general will be applying similar or stronger sanctions now that the Presidenta has decided to steal foreign (to Argentina) companies. The lady is losing friends fast.

Misformonkey
29th Apr 2012, 14:42
Ban there GM (my arse it is) free beef, given Argentina is mainly agriculture based country that would hurt them immensely. We export very little but import a lot so for once why can we not be turning up the heat on them. We don't exactly burn there flags in the street.

airborne_artist
29th Apr 2012, 14:47
Hit the rich where it really hurts - ban Argentinian polo professionals from playing for the over-paid bankers' and hedge fund managers' teams in the UK. :E

Fedaykin
30th Apr 2012, 18:13
I know that one beggers belief! :confused:

So the crazy lady thinks its a great idea to antagonise the European nation ethnically and culturally closest to them by nationalising their oil company! A country that has also been closest to them in supporting their demands for Las Malvinas....

On a good side note an agreement to fly supplies from Uruguay to the Falklands is being agreed which will ease up Argentina's silly blockade!

500N
30th Apr 2012, 18:46
Fedaykin

That is good news if and when it comes off and good to see a country down there prepared to stand and not just "toe the line".

They could do a quick fly past of BA on the way as well !!!:O

ArthurR
30th Apr 2012, 21:08
ORAC: Here's thew guideliness: "In future, no licenses shall be granted for any military or dual use goods and technology being supplied to military end users in Argentina, except in exceptional circumstances. We will review extant licenses for military goods to the Argentine Armed Forces with a view to revoking any that are not consistent with the revised policy. This decision will not affect licenses for items intended for end users other than the Argentine military."

And France????????

ORAC
1st May 2012, 06:41
And France???????? Well banning the UK from selling any military/dual use to France seems a little bit drastic, but....OK. :)

cokecan
1st May 2012, 07:46
its not French aircraft that provide the bulk of Argentine air capability - its aircraft provided by, and refurbished by our 'closest ally'...

the SE's and Mirages are in a sh*t state, with their original avionics and weapon systems - the A-4's however are the most airworthy aircraft they have, as well as the the ones with the most modern avionics: early F-16 Radars, AIM-9, PGM (AGM-65 and LGB probably...) capable.

'ally' my hoop.

Bastardeux
1st May 2012, 21:59
Cokecan,

You've opened my eyes, I simply can't believe the yanks went behind our back to deliver such a potent capability to our former foe...lets hope we don't go to war again, because that air force that you've described is top-notch; all thanks to those devious Americans! What on earth is next? Soon, plans for UK fighter aircraft, designed in co-operation with Germany and Italy, will be mooted. Or even more ludicrous, we'll agree to develop stuff with those evil Japanese that starved our POWs to death.

- just good banter

cokecan
2nd May 2012, 09:38
B, i'm not suugesting that their A-4's are a match for anything we fly, rather that only one NATO country has helped Argentina improve its air capability since the war, and its not France.

Bastardeux
2nd May 2012, 14:22
Cokecan,

If their A4s are no match for anything we fly, then why are you so upset? It's not like they busted in, in 1982, and upgraded them while the junta was still in power; I think I'm right in saying they didn't receive the upgraded A4s until the late 90s, long after a return to democracy.

Just because they were an enemy under a military dictatorship 10 years earlier, doesn't mean they are hell-bent on the destruction of the UK...

GreenKnight121
3rd May 2012, 02:57
Check your national hatreds at the door, please.

The US sold them 36 mothballed ex-USMC A-4Ms in 1994... they were equipped with AN/APG-66V2 radars... which was in the F-16As, which were delivered to the USAF before 1984 (when the -C with the AN/APG-68 began production) and to "second-tier" foreign customers.

The Argentine A-4ARs are basically equivalent to the RNZAF A-4K (Kahu)s... which were removed from service in 2001.

cosmiccomet
3rd May 2012, 15:52
:E:E:E

Para competir en suelo inglés, entrenamos en suelo argentino..wmv - YouTube

VP-F__
3rd May 2012, 19:42
rather pathetic video really, kind of amusing though at the end when he collapses. What cannot be seen is that he is within a few meters of one of the minefields laid by his own countrymen.

Hopefully the IOC remember to reprimand Argentina over mixing politics and the Olympics :=

Duncan D'Sorderlee
4th May 2012, 10:01
The FI response:

Reaction to Argentine Olympic Advert « Falkland Islands Government News (http://www.falklands.gov.fk/news/2012/05/reaction-to-argentine-olympic-advert/)

Reaction to Argentine Olympic Advert
We were very disappointed this morning to see the advert from the Argentine Presidential Office, attempting to politicise the Olympics in service of their territorial ambitions. This video was filmed without the knowledge of the Falkland Islands authorities.It is deeply sad to see Mr Zylberberg clambering over a war memorial, especially in this anniversary year. Sadly, this illustrates the disrespect the Argentine authorities have for our home and our people. Unsurprisingly, at no stage does the video feature any Falkland Islanders – a clear reflection of Argentina’s policy, which is to pretend that the people of the Falkland Islands do not exist. It is time the world took note – we do exist, and as with all people we have rights, which the Argentine Government is trying to deny us. We are our own people, who through nine generations have lived and worked in these islands for nearly 200 years.We determine our own future, and we will not be bullied by the Argentine Government, neither by their attempts to undermine our economy, nor by their constant misrepresentation of the truth, nor by pieces of cheap and disrespectful propaganda such as this. It is hugely disappointing to see sport abused in this way, when it is so often seen as a vehicle for unity. It seems an act of desperation to sink to this.Hon. Ian HansenMember of the Legislative AssemblyWe were very disappointed this morning to see the advert from the Argentine Presidential Office, attempting to politicise the Olympics in service of their territorial ambitions. This video was filmed without the knowledge of the Falkland Islands authorities.

It is deeply sad to see Mr Zylberberg clambering over a war memorial, especially in this anniversary year. Sadly, this illustrates the disrespect the Argentine authorities have for our home and our people. Unsurprisingly, at no stage does the video feature any Falkland Islanders – a clear reflection of Argentina’s policy, which is to pretend that the people of the Falkland Islands do not exist. It is time the world took note – we do exist, and as with all people we have rights, which the Argentine Government is trying to deny us. We are our own people, who through nine generations have lived and worked in these islands for nearly 200 years.

We determine our own future, and we will not be bullied by the Argentine Government, neither by their attempts to undermine our economy, nor by their constant misrepresentation of the truth, nor by pieces of cheap and disrespectful propaganda such as this. It is hugely disappointing to see sport abused in this way, when it is so often seen as a vehicle for unity. It seems an act of desperation to sink to this.

Hon. Ian Hansen

Member of the Legislative Assembly

Falkland Islands

Bannock
4th May 2012, 18:37
Think of the fun we Brits can have at the expense of the beef eating surrender monkeys with the quality of TV producers and Comedians we have here in good old blighty.
Given the state we now find ourselves in WRT expeditionary capability it would be a lot cheaper and more fun to fight it out on the box.
Having said that, if in fact that Dago Bas$%&d was training on the memorial,lets just level BA.

Tourist
4th May 2012, 20:37
Just me that thinks it's quite a clever little dig from the Argies then?

If we had done it we would be laughing our arse off.

Ewan Whosearmy
4th May 2012, 22:32
Tourist

You think that people here would be "laughing our arses off" at the sight of a British athlete clambering all over an Argentinean war memorial?

GMAFB.

Thud105
4th May 2012, 23:13
It is crass and insensitive - using a War Memorial for anything other than rememberance is bang out of order. However, I don't think this has been fully thought-through. Take another look at it - especially the camera angles. Now, as I understand it - this character is an Argentine - and it seems to me that he spends most of the time running away.

Bannock
5th May 2012, 01:29
As an after thought, if an Argentinian film crew can wander round filming openly and not be noticed. How many visitors with cameras has the place had who were not so keen in advertising there presence?

ORAC
5th May 2012, 07:11
if an Argentinian film crew can wander round Chinese.

BBC:

"The video was produced by one of Argentina's main advertising agencies, Young & Rubicam, owned by British advertising giants WPP. It hired for the job a company with previous experience in undercover filming, Fly Films (http://www.flyfilms.com.cn/).

The crew went to the islands in March ostensibly to film a marathon that included many international runners, including Mr Zylberberg and other Argentine athletes. They stayed for a week and filmed secretly around the Falkland Islands......."

Clockwork Mouse
5th May 2012, 10:36
The UK government and the FI administration have expressed their disgust in a moderate and dignified manner. They should now stay schtum. The Argies have scored a massive international own goal with this stunt. Let them keep digging their hole even deeper.

5th May 2012, 11:18
Well, since they lost rather badly on 'Argentine' soil there is little point in them coming to compete on English soil:)

Captivep
5th May 2012, 12:21
I must admit when I first heard of it I thought it was quite a "clever" idea but having watched it, it does seem to score quite an own goal. Not least the disrespect at the memorial, of course, but also how quietly British the place is (the phone box, the pub...).

I also think that it's absolutely ripe for a spoof response. It wouldn't surprise me if, even now, some lads from Mount Pleasant are planning something for youtube!