PDA

View Full Version : Emirates A380 COLD

heidelberg
29th Apr 2012, 07:18
My daughter has just arrived in Sydney from LHR via Dubai and it was A380 both legs. She was frozen on the Dubai to Sydney leg even though she got two blankets to wrap herself up in.
I've travelled on a 330/340 from DUB to SYD and the temps were excellent to SYD and on the return trip.
Why can a new aircraft like the A380 be so cold on a 14 hour leg? Any ideas anyone?

Radix
29th Apr 2012, 07:22

easyflyer83
29th Apr 2012, 09:16
It depends on temperature the crew (cabin and flight crew) have set vut also other factors including things such as tiredness. To be fair, you can't win when it comes to controlling temperature on the aircraft because there's always someone too hot or too cold at the same time.

Pontius Navigator
29th Apr 2012, 09:52
It depends . . . also other factors including things such as tiredness.

I occasionally did an overnight shift in a climate controlled environment. It was OK until the wee small hours when the temperature dropped.

Only it didn't. The thermograph showed the temperature was rock steady day and night.

PositiveClimbGearUp
29th Apr 2012, 20:25
Some parts of a plane are known to feel colder than others - many people report that seats near exits can be very cold during flights.

average-punter
29th Apr 2012, 20:54
SAA always do this on their A340s... At least on SAA you know it's coming so can dress for it :ok:

EW73
30th Apr 2012, 02:22
During my many trips Nadi - LA and return with AP during the good 'ol days when they were still operating those two QF B747-238s on lease, we used to use the cabin temperature to 'persuade' the pax to either, go to sleep (slightly raise the cabin temp) early in the flight, and wake up (slightly lower the cabin temp) when we were about to prepare for arrival.
Seemed to work well for most pax.
Also used this technique when I flew in the "Jeddah Express" contracts, mainly from Jakarta area.

Alanwsg
30th Apr 2012, 09:25
I was flying to Cape town on SAA once seated by the emergency exit.
There was cold air leaking in around the bottom of the door, I was lucky as the shape of the door allowed me to rest my feet on the "bulge" (Where the slide is kept?).
A bottle of water on the floor was frozen solid.

PAXboy
30th Apr 2012, 09:34
Doors are known to be draughty on many a/c. blanket wraspped around the feet.

Heat at all times please! I have never understood this nonsense that the bedroom is supposed to be slightly cooler to aid sleep. Total rubbish! Just recall the times you have, eaten a meal, watched a bit of telly and room is warm? Or an afternoon in the conservatory with the sun coming in?

lasernigel
30th Apr 2012, 09:53
Try flying on the 757's that do the Man-Ord with AA. I always try to get the window seat just behind the exit 2 seats. On two seperate trips (same aircraft) you couldn't even touch the bulkhead it was that cold. The crew filled empty water bottles up with hot water(flight full), and gave me extra blankets. They said this problem had been reported many times but nothing was done. I have written numerous letter to AA but no reply...probably that sort of attitude is why they are in Chap 11!