PDA

View Full Version : US CFI Instructing In Australia.

japandwell
29th Apr 2012, 06:05
Common sense and a little research assisted me in concluding that an American CFI will need an Australian Instructor rating to teach in Australia. I am trying to find whether there are any known exceptions to this, and what companies may hire US Pilots. An associate of mine called FTA in Adelaide, and the answer was a firm NO.
Any exceptions to this? Do any Australian academies transition US pilots to Australian with intent on hiring? Paid for etc.

mad_jock
29th Apr 2012, 06:22
They have loads of already qualified pilots why would they want to transition anyone over especially if they don't have a work permit.

japandwell
29th Apr 2012, 07:34
I gathered that it would be almost impossible. I found out long ago that Australia has an abundance of pilots as you stated. Recent threads have indicated that Australia may have a pilot shortage. I have seen this on You Tube and elsewhere. Some of it is outdated though. REX is looking for expats, but they must have serious qualification in type, as I am told.
I am just checking to see if there is any change.
Of course I don't believe that there will ever be a true pilot shortage!

Charlie Foxtrot India
30th Apr 2012, 15:39
No instructor shortage here.

mad_jock
30th Apr 2012, 16:56
There are a few companys who don't want to invest in type ratings for the locals for aircraft types which are relatively rare in the grand scale of things.

They are in mid bun fight about T&C's and some are trying to get expats in to drop their costs.

You would have to either be very brave or stupid to get in the middle of it as an expat.

Droste
30th Apr 2012, 17:13
I gathered that it would be almost impossible. I found out long ago that Australia has an abundance of pilots as you stated. Recent threads have indicated that Australia may have a pilot shortage. I have seen this on You Tube and elsewhere. Some of it is outdated though.
To get any job in Australia, you need at least this:

http://www.banksiaimmigrationaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Permanent-Residency-Australia-150x149.jpg

Of course I don't believe that there will ever be a true pilot shortage!
ONLY Shortage for experienced Captains. :)

True shortage of pilots is bull****.

MartinCh
7th May 2012, 11:19
If you've got reasonable instructional experience, regional Australia's flight schools may be interested, as not that many instructors make it experienced Grade 1 instructor, those that got enough multi time for airline gigs etc.

You'd obviously need job offer, go through the employer sponsored visa.
Best would be to sort Work and Holiday for US citizens (not more than 30yo when applying), subclass 462 - DIC overview. (http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/usa/) Then once CPL/FI conversion done - no set hours for CPL and 10hrs minimum for FI, so long the previous FI training covers the 50hr total - which may be issue for FAA CFIs, as they'd probably do FI seat flying for 15-20hrs or so, unlike some other countries with mandated minimum hours courses.

I don't think a school would offer you a job without having CASA CPL/FI and knowing you, but what I mentioned above, can help.

I do agree with other posters regarding fresh FI job vacancies and too many local pilots for those.

In a nutshell, too much hassle and cost, unless you cannot qualify for Australian PR visa through your non-aviation qualifications/skills/education. Most of them can be found on Skilled Occupation List (SOL) on Department of Immigration & Citizenship (http://www.immi.gov.au)
There are other countries where you can go for some instructing without all the hassle you'd have to go through and lots of uncertainties, for Australia, compared to other countries.