PDA

View Full Version : Working In/Around St Maarten

cessna24
28th Apr 2012, 17:38
Whilst sitting here writing this thread, looking out of the window and seeing the rain pouring, knowing that in an hour I start my nightshift on the line which I already am now thinking that "The first thing I do when I get to work is, make sure I put my wet weather gear in the van", has made me think of our colleages in the warmer climates!
I have a dream to one day work around or at the island of St Maarten.
Although I am yet to visit the islands, I often see pictures and videos of the interesting approaches to the many airfields of which seems to be a wide variety of aircraft visiting the islands.

The question being:
Has anyone got any views and/or experience from working in which seems to be paradise?
Where would be a good place to look for jobs around the area?

Saint Jack
29th Apr 2012, 02:13
cessna24: I understand your sentiments perfectly, I left my temperate climate hometown many moons ago for essentially the same reason. Now, having lived and work in the Caribbean (but not St. Maarten) and other 'paradise' locations - as some would call them - I can assure you that the rain pours there also, the only difference being that the raindrops are nice and warm -:)

But seriously, go-for-it. it's easier than you may think. Trawl the internet and the many websites for aviation jobs and persevere.

However, take note that 'paradise' doesn't really exist, all locations have a down-side, it's all a matter of balancing these negative points against your personal expectations, lifestyle and comfort level. Good luck.

cessna24
29th Apr 2012, 04:05
Hi Saint Jack.

I'm only 28 so as some and many colleagues have said, " the world is your oyster"
I'm working A320's at the mo but I have worked on many smaller a/c ie shorts 330/360, Islanders, Bandits etc so that would be fun to go back too.
I appreciate that every 'Paradise' has its down sides. But I like the sound of warm rain! Haha. Put it this way, I have just this minute just signed up for a Eng fuel filter! The apron was like a swimming pool and closing the cowls allowed me to find out where the holes in my wet weather gear were!

Can I ask Saint Jack, if you don't mind as to what you love about being in these country's and what's not so great? Ie- good companies, bad schooling, great social, lonely outside of work.

Thanks for your advice in advance
Bregards
c24

Saint Jack
30th Apr 2012, 03:30
cessna24: First of all, your colleagues are absolutely correct and, I suspect, a little envious of your ambition.

When you say "...I'm working A320's at the mo but I have worked on many smaller a/c ie shorts 330/360, Islanders, Bandits etc...." an obvious question is - are you licenced on them? This will be very important, in order to get a work permit at your desired location you will need to demonstrate that you have a skill/qualification that is not available locally otherwise you'll be percieved to be depriving the local workforce of a job.

You can search the internet for airlines/operators in various geographic areas or you can contact aircraft manufacturers themselves via their local representative offices. It has been my experience that the technical reps in particular like to talk engineer-to-engineer, remember, they were once in your shoes so you already have something in common.

What do I like about living abroad? Just about everything I suppose. It may be easier to say that I don't like winters, going to work in the dark, returning from work in the dark, and I certainly don't like having to put on multiple layers of clothing just to walk to the end of the street.

Once you get to your desired 'paradise' it will be crucial for you to adapt to the local lifestyle, don't expect it to adapt to you. Do not attempt to live your current lifestyle in a foreign location, this is a sure recipe for failure. Live like the locals live, shop where they shop, eat what they eat, relax how they relax. Learn their culture and assimilate. When they see you making these efforts they will warm to you and any fears you may have had, including the very real fear of lonelinees, will vanish. But you have to make the effort.

cessna24
30th Apr 2012, 09:24
Interesting feedback Thank you. Well I'm typed on A320 but the bandits etc are from the days of my apprenticeship so no I'm not typed on them.
I'll have a good look through the Internet then.
I think maybe a trip to some of the islands maybe a good start.
I got talking a few years back to a Maldives Air engineer. He explained his day to day life working on the Twotter. He said that if you don't like sunbathing or having lots of time on your hands then it's not the job for you!
Do I know if that's me......well I have never had a problem with the sun but am not a guy who can sit in it all day and I have my PPL so that would be my "time on my hands" solution. He explained that apart from the scheduled maintenance it really was about getting the floatplanes in and out of the water and washing the salt water off of them at the end of the flying day! What made me laugh tho was he said that if you dropped your spanner, it's the only job where you need your swimshorts to retrieve it! Haha
Another guy I knew had a 2year contract in the Seychelles working 767's. Another great sounding adventure but with the same catch. Time and sun.
I'm a friendly guy (I like to think) and love talking to people. I would embrace any different culture and enjoy living that way.
So if I take on board what you say I should be ok. So now it's google time...
Appreciate your feedback :-)
c24

crjmartin
12th Sep 2012, 21:52
Hi all. I was flying crj`s 900 in uruguay, and the government closed it. So know im looking for jobs out there.

The caribbean sounds great. What kind of jobs/money/places are there? Is it possible to a foreigner to live and work there?