PDA

View Full Version : Dam buster run

dragqueen120
27th Apr 2012, 07:12
Wow; Booked a flight earlier on in the year and managed to take it just before the bad WX started. Practice run for the Dambusters in a Tiger Moth from EGNF. It was fantastic. What a great day. Full HD video as well!

foxmoth
27th Apr 2012, 09:22
So, what was that - Low level over a Dam somewhere? As it was practice are you heading to bomb a dam for real?:eek:

Noah Zark.
27th Apr 2012, 15:01
The "Dambuster Run" is flown over the Ladybower Reservoirs, slightly north west of Sheffield. These are the dams that 617 Sqn. practised over before the Dams Raid.
Look on Gurgle Erf, and follow the A57 road out of Sheffield towards Manchester. The 'top' dam, Howden Reservoir, is the actual one used, for its likeness to the targets in Germany.

loaded as a dice
28th Apr 2012, 07:40
I did that run in a PA28!! it makes you realise how good those crews were, and to do it at night.That was fantastic flying!!!:D

thing
28th Apr 2012, 16:35
Popular Sunday run out from our place, in fact we have the route laminated ready to pick up. Don't go in a strong westerly though with non pilot passengers...:yuk::)

Grob Queen
28th Apr 2012, 17:13
Yep, thats one of the navexes i've planned for a good spring or summer day (if we ever get one!) Its one of the "things" that everyone has to do from our place too...so i'm looking forward to running up to Howden Dam then all the way down again, out over Hathersage and back via Nottingham.

I'm wondering how low my instructor will let me go...knowing Op Chastise was one of the things which started my love affair with aircraft.... :E

Noah Zark.
28th Apr 2012, 17:35
All I can say to you folks is, when you do 'the run', take great care, and keep a very good lookout. As you can see, just from this thread, it is a very popular 'jolly,' but with no established flow pattern, you could be approaching each other from any direction. But enjoy it! :ok:

Russell Gulch
28th Apr 2012, 23:02
Quick Giggle suggests £500 for the priviledge of flying a Tiger Moth from Nethers to Dams & back.

Wow indeed!:rolleyes:

A and C
29th Apr 2012, 08:43
I did a "dambuster" flight a few years back during the RAF Laarbruch air rally but we used a big dam in Germany.

thing
29th Apr 2012, 09:00
All I can say to you folks is, when you do 'the run', take great care, and keep a very good lookout. As you can see, just from this thread, it is a very popular 'jolly,'

There's a kind of unwritten law that says you start at the north end around Howden and run south on the west side of the dam valleys, then climb out when you pass the road bridge over Ladybower. That's OK I suppose if everyone else knows the unwritten law.....Mind you I've never met anyone coming the other way, you would have to be climbing more or less all the time if you ran north.

ShyTorque
29th Apr 2012, 10:43
Sure that the military agree with that unwritten rule?

See and be seen :ok:

Grob Queen
29th Apr 2012, 11:41
A&C - Moehne or Eder by any chance?!?

Thing - hmm, think that "rule" needs to be up in our clubhouse...I was planning my trip as rvp at the mast on the south end, up the west side then down the east...

oh, and I should have said...it was a joke about going low...I know that the minimum over structures is 500ft! ;)

Noah Zark.
29th Apr 2012, 11:54
Quick Giggle suggests £500 for the priviledge of flying a Tiger Moth from Nethers to Dams & back.

A quick squint on the Nethers website says the run is a '1 hour flight', which according to the Tiger Moth price list on there quotes £409!
Still 'WoW indeed! :rolleyes:'

b2vulcan
29th Apr 2012, 13:59
Hmm.. wonder if I can get my instructor to agree to this as a navex when I get that far in my training?

thing
29th Apr 2012, 14:31
Sure that the military agree with that unwritten rule?

See and be seen http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

True enough sir. I just thought of another pretty ovvious reason why you would want to run south, you run over the water and then over the dam lip a la Dambusters rather than flying up into the face of the dam.

Grob Queen
29th Apr 2012, 14:53
Hmm.. wonder if I can get my instructor to agree to this as a navex when I get that far in my training?

If you're friends with your instructor and he's interested in history, then i'm sure you can...worked for me anyway :ok::ok:

SMAZ
29th Apr 2012, 15:57
Has anyone got the ability to to upload the map for other people to see the route and flow?

Thanks

Fake Sealion
30th Apr 2012, 08:26
Have flown the Derwent Dam route a few times. As Thing pointed out -Be mindful of possible turbulence.

I've also "attacked" the real thing - The Mohne Dam in West Germany in 1979. Flying a Royal Navy Gazelle - not below 250' of course ;)

MichaelJP59
30th Apr 2012, 17:55
It's good fun, done it a few times, also seen the BBMF Lancaster do it followed by 2 Tornadoes for one of the anniversaries:) 500ft feels low enough really, no need to simulate the actual op!

Watch out for all sorts of traffic though, and plenty of gliders of all types in and around the Hope Valley.

thing
30th Apr 2012, 19:48
Ah yes, if you run south (or indeed run north from Chatsworth or thereabouts) watch out for the Camphill guys. 500' or thereabouts (:}) will put you below the top of the valley and give you a feel for the run without dropping to silly, registration taking levels. The first time you do it I'm sure as I was that you will be filled with complete admiration for the bravery of the guys that did it in the pitch black 60' off the deck at 240mph.

helicopter-redeye
30th Apr 2012, 20:21
...BBMF Lancaster do it followed by 2 Tornadoes..

The 45th anniversary in '88 was one of the best ever (its the one all the postcards are taken from - you can just see me below the Lanc tail on the far bank!) with the BBMF Lanc, Vulcan and Tornado, all 617, all present and all over the dam.

It was worth the 15 mile run to get there (either way!)

h-r

ShyTorque
30th Apr 2012, 20:31
The first time you do it I'm sure as I was that you will be filled with complete admiration for the bravery of the guys that did it in the pitch black 60' off the deck at 240mph.

Having flown the actual route over the Mohne Dam (in the early 1980s when military aircraft were able to be flown with a certain licensed hooliganism without much comeback) down to 60 ft radalt across the water, albeit at only160 mph, I strongly agree. A very skilful (and punchy) bit of flying. They must have been pulling the guts out of their Lancasters to even get lined up accurately.

Noah Zark.
30th Apr 2012, 21:39
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/6983538482_44b4fdabce.jpg

Noah Zark.
30th Apr 2012, 21:40
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/6983522446_4df4ef154f.jpg

Chinesespaceman
3rd May 2012, 21:33
Indeed, please keep the runs North to South.
Superimposed GPS trace onto gurgle earth might look something like this:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q28/chinesespaceman/Ladybower.jpg

waldopepper42
4th May 2012, 06:42
"Mind you I've never met anyone coming the other way"

I have! 'twas a helicopter in fact. Wasn't a problem as we both saw each other and waved as we passed - a safe distance apart. Serves as a reminder though to keep alert and keep the scan going!

WP42

P.S. I was heading south.

Grob Queen
5th May 2012, 14:40
If any of you are doing the "run" on 24th June in the afternoon...look out for a white Grob with "L" plates on...as my instructor and I plan to fly the trip on that day...all being well with the wx! :):)

ps, love the snowy Derwent Dam pic!

SMAZ
6th May 2012, 20:54
Aviators,

I am really keen to give this a go. If anyone has done the route before could you please post the entry, turning point and exit names to help plot the correct/safe route.

Regards

Keef
6th May 2012, 21:05
We did Möhne, Eder and Sorpe a few years ago on the way to Tempelhof. We were warned that the locals aren't too impressed with low passes, so behaved ourselves (no 60 foot with searchlights stuff).

It is a fascinating sight!

Dr John Watson
7th May 2012, 07:05
Scampton to the Rhur dams--27th July 1998 Piper Arrow 111 201R G-BIDI

Winner of the Pooleys Dawn to Dusk Challenge.

The write up with maps and photos super-imposed to show how the Lancasters approached really illustrates what they had to do.

We added to aviation history with this as every book written on the subject did not show the actual route taken by Gibsons Lancaster. Having got hold of the Navigators log the actual route was plotted and Gibson in some case was miles out from the planned route.

The RAF were less than helpfull when we made preperations for the flight compared with the Dutch air traffic control. They though it was a hoot and let us through military airspace. Our Teutonic cousins were not impressed. They seem not too like anything to do with 617 squadron!!!

Next time I went over the Dams could not see a thing due to cloud and mist

Happy days

Grob Queen
7th May 2012, 12:10
We were warned that the locals aren't too impressed with low passes,

I wonder why ;)

An ex-RAF pilot friend of mine also with his mates took delight in fairly low passes over the Moehne when stationed in Germany....

We added to aviation history with this as every book written on the subject did not show the actual route taken by Gibsons Lancaster. Having got hold of the Navigators log the actual route was plotted and Gibson in some case was miles out from the planned route.

Dr John, I'd be very interested in seeing this, are there published copies "out there" for sale?

I have to say, when I visited the Ruhr Dams a few years back (in the more conventional way of on foot ;) ) I struck up a very interesting conversation with the curator of the "Great Diasaster" museum in teh old pumping station at the base of the Eder. I found him very happy to discuss the raid and even when I told him that I work with the RAF he was still happy to chat (probably the fact that the conversation was in German helped!) :)

Chinesespaceman
7th May 2012, 15:02
Aviators,

I am really keen to give this a go. If anyone has done the route before could you please post the entry, turning point and exit names to help plot the correct/safe route.

Regards

Normally I drop in from the intersection of the A616 with the Barnsley Road, N533033.00 W0014158.00

From there continue on a heading of about 210 degrees for 3 Nm to N532704.00 W0014457.00. this lines you up for an entry into the dam on a southerly heading about another 1Nm.

Happy flying

dragqueen120
9th May 2012, 18:54
Yeah it was £409 but I got a HD vid and a picture. is quite cheap compared to some other places and this did seem unique as no where else can get to the Dams and back in a reasonable time. check out the vid (its not me but found it on U tube)

Tigermoth Flight with Blue Eye aviation - YouTube

BobD
13th May 2012, 20:40
Popular Sunday run out from our place, in fact we have the route laminated ready to pick up. Don't go in a strong westerly though with non pilot passengers...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Flew the run this afternoon, from Gamston, and now fully appreciate Things comments ! I don't think I have ever bounced around as much in an aircraft, but it was worth it for the experience.

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be given a guided tour around, through and under the Derwent Dam (they were also running an exhibition in tribute to 617 Squadron at the time), so now I have been under, and over the dam. Anyone got a boat so I can go on it :)

dragqueen120
20th Jan 2014, 15:29
Glad you enjoyed the flight. We operate a flight school and we get lots of pilots coming up to try their hand at flying the Tiger Moth whilst taking in the lovely views of the Dam's. we have 2.
if anyone fancies ago please feel free to contact me directly

john ball
20th Jan 2014, 16:23
About 12 years ago I flew our Comanche 260 from Berlin Templehof to the Moehne Dam on the way back to UK and flew the drop route and then around the face of the Dam. You can still see by the different colour concrete where it was repaired. Then we landed at Arnsburg ( near the Dam and met an old guy who told us he was about 12 when the dam was breached. Apparently it was mother's day and everybody had been out to party's, so were still up quite late.

7of9
20th Jan 2014, 17:39
My run a few years ago in a PA28 Arrow.

grdAfAsTOw0

Trev:ok:

Weeds round the prop
21st Jan 2014, 10:15
Many years ago (at least a quarter century) there was a small museum in the right-hand tower at Howden Dam. There were some genuine artifacts including a flight suit worn on the raid, and a lot of photos and info. If I remember correctly this was put together by a fine chap called Vic Hallam of Bamford, and supported to some degree by the Severn Trent Water Authority (it was after all 'their' dam...)
Is it still there? It was worth a visit if in the area; I think it was open on Bank Holidays...

Weeds

ShyTorque
21st Jan 2014, 11:25
Weeds, the museum is still there. We took our newly fostered rescue dog in a few years back (having asked permission of course). She embarrassed us by taking huge fright over a mannikin dressed in WW2 flying clothing, she almost barked the place down - it certainly echoes in there, being in the wall of the dam!

However, I wouldn't personally fly the route in a low performance single over the dams at the low altitudes that some do. If the donk stops you are going in the water or the trees; there would be little or no chance of gliding clear of the valley. Also, halfway down is the visitor centre and public car park at Fairholmes, which might be described as a congested area.

Steve6443
21st Jan 2014, 19:46
For those who are interested in seeing the Moehne See Dam:

A view of the Moehne See (the Dam is off to the left hand edge of the picture)

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t588/steve6443/5thJanuary2013-4-Moehnesee_zps958ccba0.jpg

A picture of the Dam from the upper side:

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t588/steve6443/5thJanuary2013-5-Moehnesee_zpsad0c3fbe.jpg

A picture of the Dam from the lower side.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t588/steve6443/5thJanuary2013-6-Moehnesee_zps90c5152f.jpg

emmccan
21st Jan 2014, 20:58
We go down it all the time in the Jet Provost if were passing ;-)
249 knots all the way down north to south i have lots of videos i'll see if i can find them and upload them.

Neil