PDA

View Full Version : 2x Qantas A380 at Heathrow... not used?

R04stb33f
26th Apr 2012, 18:46
Hi folks!

I apologise in advance if you think this is a silly question but I'm just interested...

At the end of last month I flew LIN to LHR for a meeting and when we were taxiing to our stand at T5 I noticed (well, difficult not to...) 2 Qantas A380s moored up away from any terminal.

On Monday of this week, I did the same trip and they were there again. As they are so far away from the terminal, and there didn't seem to be any activity around the aircraft on either occasion, it occurred to me that they might not actually be being used. Does anyone know if this is the case? If it is, what's the reason?

I should imagine that it would be quite costly NOT to have them in the air...

Couldn't take a picture as all MY electronics were turned off. Someone has snapped them in the same place that I saw them though:

2 Qantas A380 planes at London Heathrow Airport | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainh124a/7061429781/)

Take care

Roastie

treadigraph
26th Apr 2012, 19:05
Think they come in from Sydney and Melbourne earlyish in the day and leave on the return trip late in the evening.

edi_local
26th Apr 2012, 21:30
Pretty much as treadigraph said. They are towed away to allow other A380s to use the stands and are bought back when they are needed again.

Emirates and SQ send the A380 to LHR and also use T3 so the limited number of A380 capable gates are needed at various points throughout the day.

NZ, UA, JJ and LY all do the same at T1. Bring aircraft in, de-plane pax and then park them on remote stands until they are needed again.

Tableview
26th Apr 2012, 21:35
You'll find many aircraft sitting like that, for example the 3 SAA aircraft that come in early morning from JNB and CPT. The flight timings are restricted by curfews at both ends of the route.

R04stb33f
26th Apr 2012, 21:53
Hey folks - thanks very much for your replies. I understand now - I did wonder :-)

Take care

Roastie