PDA

View Full Version : Applying for PPL/Night rating

cheechm
26th Apr 2012, 18:22
To apply for both of these at the same time (initial PPL and night qualification), do I need to complete both the SRG1105 and the SRG1126 form, or is there another "special" form that I've missed that can account for both?

Thanks

RTN11
26th Apr 2012, 18:42
You just send in the night rating form along with your PPL application.

This isn't a rating, it's a qualification. When your licence is issued, under the validity section it will simply state "the privileges of this licence may be exercised at night" which would not appear on a basic PPL.

There is no currency or revalidation requirement, other than the one night landing in 90 days to carry passengers at night.

AdamFrisch
26th Apr 2012, 19:08
Can I get the NQ on my UK JAA PPL based on my night hours flown in the US on my FAA license?

cheechm
26th Apr 2012, 19:16
Furthermore, on the application, when filling it in electronically, it doesn't allow you to choose "PPL Aeroplane" and "FRTOL" at the same time. Do these applications need to be separate, or is it just an error on the form?

RTN11
27th Apr 2012, 17:59
I've never filled it in electronically, but would assume you tick PPL(A) and fill in section 8 as appropriate. The Radio Licence is issued separately and runs as it's own thing, being renewed separate from the PPL(A) itself.

As for using US night flying time, the UK requirements are 3 hours dual, 1 hour dual cross country, 5 solo take offs and landings and 5 hours total night. You could use any US solo time to bump up the total time and for the solo requirement, but the 3 hours dual would have to be with a JAR instructor.

mrmum
27th Apr 2012, 23:10
Cheechm

It's just a glitch with the form, tick one electronically, then print off the form and tick the other the old-fashioned way. :ok:

mrmum
27th Apr 2012, 23:34
Adam,
Don't see why not, the US is an ICAO contracting state. I understand that the FAA PPL includes night VFR privileges, but don't know how much night flying is included in the course, or how it's endorsed. There does not appear to be any requirement, under these circumstances for the night flying/training to have been undertaken with a JAA qualified instructor.
LASORS E4.3 TRANSFERRING NIGHT RATINGS/QUALIFICATIONS (AEROPLANE) FROM NON-JAR-FCL LICENCES
Any previous night flying training completed in an ICAO Contracting State may be credited towards the JAR-FCL Night Qualification (Aeroplane) flying training requirements.
Where an applicant holds a night rating/qualification (or a logbook entry if that is the method of endorsement required by the National Aviation Authority) issued by an ICAO Contracting State, they may apply for the Night Qualification (Aeroplane) endorsement onto their UK or JAR-FCL licence providing the requirements of E4.2 have been met. Logbook evidence of the night flying training completed will be required together with evidence of licence/logbook endorsement.
Where an applicant has completed night training towards a night rating/qualification in an ICAO Contracting State and has met the requirements of E4.2 but do not hold any licence/logbook endorsement from the National Aviation Authority, they will be required to complete discretional night training with a JAA Registered Facility or Approved FTO.
The requirements of E4.2 are;
LASORS E4.2 NIGHT QUALIFICATION (AEROPLANE) FLYING TRAINING/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
When applying for a Night Qualification you must produce evidence of having met the following flying requirements:-
a. 5 hours overall night training in aeroplanes to include b) and c);
b. i. 3 hours dual night training to include ii);
ii. 1 hour dual night navigation;
c. 5 Take-off and full stop landings at night as PIC of aeroplanes.
So, if you have at least these, you should be able to just apply to have the NQ added to your JAA-PPL(A). Then you just send off the SRG1126 form, accompanied of course by the ubiquitous SRG1187.;)