PDA

View Full Version : Canberra over Tengah painting in RAF Museum

Yellowjack99
26th Apr 2012, 15:27
The last time I went to the RAF Museum, in the main bomber hall there was a painting of a 45 Sqn Canberra flying over Tengah, I think set around 1960.

I'm not sure of the artist, but does anyone know of the painting and if any prints of it were ever made, or if it appeared in print anywhere. A friend of mine flew them on 45Sqn there and would be great to get a copy for him.

Thanks

YJ

DeepestSouth
29th Apr 2012, 16:35
I'd suggest that you contact the Museum via their website. They have over 5,000 pictures, all indexed, and would probably be able to tell you very quickly - I've found therm unfailingly helpful. There is an online index but a quick search showed a lot of Canberras, a lot of Tengah with Javelins, but none of Tengah and Canberras together.

Good luck

DS

Yellowjack99
30th Apr 2012, 16:15
Thanks DS, good idea, I'll do that.

YJ

Tiger_mate
30th Apr 2012, 21:22
Hopefully not a bum steer, and I know aviation art, the guys most likely to have done such a painting are Frank Wootton or John Young. Both also have many paintings in the RAFM collection.

AL1. If it is a silver Canberra in a right hand bank with the harbour visible in the background, then the answer is John Young. You can find it on a 'flown envelope' having flown in a UK based T4.

VGC Autographed 30th Anniversary Commemorative First Day Cover "Canberra " 1983 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VGC-Autographed-30th-Anniversary-Commemorative-First-Day-Cover-Canberra-1983-/230782721888?pt=UK_Stamps_BritishStamps&hash=item35bbb8df60#ht_500wt_922)

Yellowjack99
1st May 2012, 16:15
Yes it was the John Young painting, thanks for this link TM and DS for earlier suggestion of contacting RAFM, it helped a lot. In fact Andrew Cormack of RAFM kindly confirmed this picture and also e-mailed me a JPG of it.

I'll try to get hold of the FDC for my friend.

Many thanks,

YJ