PDA

View Full Version : GLEX Salaries

Globally Challenged
26th Apr 2012, 10:10
Rumours abound of our employer upgrading his CL30 for a BD700.

What are the current going rates for Capt & FO's on the GLEX?

Oldschoolflyer
26th Apr 2012, 14:33
Yes can anyone shed some light on this please, was thinking 100k plus for Capts. Is this about right?

ksjc
26th Apr 2012, 15:26
No idea about UK salaries but US Global captain salary all over the map. Low average is about $150K however.

CaptainProp
26th Apr 2012, 16:32
For someone upgrading to a GLEX with a current employer I would say no lower than €11K per month plus Per Diem, medical insurance etc. If on the other hand you were rated and looking at a position with a new operator I would ask for more. There are a lot of operators out there searching for Global drivers and its a pilots market.

cldrvr
26th Apr 2012, 18:01
What type of operator, private/AOC, how long have you been with them.

Going out to market to get rated left seat guy with experience we are talking 120-150 in the UK, you will not get that if on an AOC, more like 90-120.

Now if you have been with them for a while and they are private, it all depends on what kind of money you are on now and you would need to negotiate, get one of those agencies to give you a quote for a typed, experienced Captain and use that as a bargaining tool.

It is a pilots's market for rated, experienced left seat guys on the Global, simple economics, not many around, especially in Europe.

mutt
26th Apr 2012, 18:08
Global freelancers are getting $1500-1800 per day, get a quote for freelance pilots and your boss will be extremely happy to increase your salary.

Mutt

cambioso
26th Apr 2012, 18:09
Well I guess as "this guy" is neither rated, or experienced on type, that he thanks his lucky stars that he he will be given one of the most desirable type ratings in the business, and winds his neck in re. salary increases..........If indeed, the request for info is for himself?
If (after all) he is merely looking for an experienced GLEX driver to "mind" his operation .......please accept my apologies, and disregard my last!!

cldrvr
26th Apr 2012, 18:30
Cambiosi, why should he have to "wind his neck in". that's what got the ryanair pilots such a crap deal right now, inexperienced kids wanting to fly for free.

Market rates are market rates.

If the OP starts discounting his own worth, we will all be worse of. Simple economics, there is no need to ask for less money, nobody else would, so why should he.

I don't think you realise how rare GLEX drivers in the EU are and if you do shame on you for your attempt in trying to dillute our T&C's.

May as well ask you, are you an operator that just sees pilots as a necessary expense and will do anything to ruin our T&C's or prospects????

silverknapper
26th Apr 2012, 20:18
Interesting one.

Are you reasonably remunerated on the CL30? If so hopefully that will continue!

If the owner is typing you etc I wouldn't be looking for the sort of rates people are quoting here for freelancers. If he bonds you get the experience then you can enter the market with time and name your price. It's an expensive type.

Ready to be yelled at but.....

In a way I do feel slightly sorry for an owner upgrading. They have everything set up, pilots hopefully on a decent package and everyone happy. Said owner then upgrades, spending a lot of dough on a cracking machine but essentially still a jet, albeit one that does 4000nm more. Then suddenly he is expected to pay the same guys doing the same job with longer sectors 30-40% more. Plus the training costs.

But I won't feel too sorry for them!

cambioso
26th Apr 2012, 20:35
Precisely my point Knapper.

cldrvr
26th Apr 2012, 21:12
Knapper and Cambioso, I totally disagree with you. The owner just paid double for his new toy, why shouldn't he pay market rates for his crew.

Why are so many here so desperate to discount their experience? Why do I get CV's of guys offering to fly for free?

Why do we tolerate, accept and here promote it.

Look what it did to the loco market for crew, so many accepted lousy wages and now you can't get a decent paying job in the locos.

Stop selling yourself short, why should the OP accept a lousy deal? To be nice to the owner? Not to be greedy?

Do you think the owner is going to treat the mx company, hangar owner, fuel company the same way? Of course not.

Why do you guys expect us pilots to discount our services.

What is your agenda here knapper and Cambioso? You guys operators? Management? You surely aren't professional pilots, they wouldn't volunteer a pay cut.

First.officer
26th Apr 2012, 22:44
Whilst it's fair to say that the owner of aforementioned new GLEX will inccur considerable expense with his/her new toy, as has been mentioned, no-one is holding a gun to the respective head of the new owner and forcing them to buy.......and if they can afford this new metal, they have to pay the price to run it (and that means paying market rates or maybe a higher premium if the employment arena is short w.r.t. experienced GLEX crew).

In summary, make sure you get paid what your worth - and if market rates are high, so be it.....i'm with cldrvr on this one.

silverknapper
26th Apr 2012, 22:45
Cldrvr

Why the aggression? I made a civilised post in which I offered a balanced point of view. Indeed the section with which you so obviously disagree was an after thought. And stop looking for agendas. Paranoid are we? As it happens I'm just a driver, and a quick search would show you my views on the deterioration in terms in the LCC sector.
Your examples are poor, though you were obviously so angry clearly you allowed your rage to overcome your clarity of thought. Personally I don't think the fuel company will charge more per litre for their fuel. Do you? Indeed I'm sure it will be less given the vast difference in uplift.

Your precious "market rate" is exactly that. What the market is prepared to pay. Now with no disrespect to the OP at the moment, working on an assumption they are not rated on the Glex, the market wouldn't pay them anything given their lack of skill set. If GC is rated and experienced obviously he or she could name their price.
With the assumed lack of rating, the extortionate cost of a Glex rating and the need for circuits, line training etc etc do you think that GC has the same earning potential from day one as a type-experienced person? Yet you draw parallels with experienced guys at agency rates. Not really a fair comparison.

Now I hope I haven't upset anyone else by offering a balanced view. And more importantly i hope that you go straight in on top whack GC. If I were lucky enough to be the owner I personally would pay a good rate to keep my guys happy. Provided of course we had a good relationship. I just felt that the calls for huge equivalent day rates were a touch short sighted and the other side of things was worth bearing in mind. Any negotiation is better entered into with as many views as possible.

As for cldrvr.........calm down dear!

Edited to add, this assumes your employer is rating you. If not then the gloves are off. But if they are they will be equipping you with a tremendous revenue generator for he rest of your career.

Narrow Runway
27th Apr 2012, 16:28
I fly a GLEX.

I don't hear of, or see, a great shortage of pilots on this type currently.

If you're well connected, then yes, there's freelancing to be done. A lot of it is ex Russia and involves stupidly long FDP's and absolutely no standardisation at all.

For me, I can't be bothered killing myself for a few extra bucks. I'm happy with my lot - even if I could earn more.

It's all about quality of life for me.

Kelly Hopper
27th Apr 2012, 17:01
There was a huge shortage of GLEX pilots a couple of years ago and salaries reflected this. Unlike the GV which had a glut.
Now i am not so sure where we are.
One thing that seems not to have changed is that no-one will stump the cost of the rating. Both are very expensive ratings but still a drop in the ocean when compared to the overall cost of having such an aircraft.
The bargain hunters are still out there!

ksjc
27th Apr 2012, 19:38
Word still not out as far as I know but the planned Global 7000 and 8000 might be the same GLEX FAA type rating. Good for all GLEX rated guys in the long run.

CaptainProp
13th May 2012, 19:25
The race to the bottom has certainly not ended....

Rubeaan Aviation

CE650 Captain position

CONTRACT TERMS:

- Period of the contract is Two Years; Renewable

- Salary is $3000 USD per month

- $100 per flight hour, except when owner is on board.

For those of us used to getting paid in € this equates to €6100 @ 50 hours and €2300 when not flying / on holiday. UNLESS...."owner is on board" because then you are only worth €2300 / month even @ 100 hours. :E

Good luck to those of you applying! :ok:

sooty3694
14th May 2012, 00:47
If you think you are worth more because you have a new toy to play with - ask for what you think you are actually worth!

If you don't know what you are worth, how could we possibly guess?

Are you not brave enough to ask the ONLY guy who will decide? Sounds to me that you need a few guys in the playground to help you decide.