PDA

View Full Version : BAA Future Pilot Scheme

limesoda
25th Apr 2012, 20:41
Sorry to be flooding you with yet another post about how yet another person wants to train... but we all have to start somewhere!
I was just wondering what you guys thought in terms of the BA future pilot scheme. Im quite keen to get onto it, although this won't be until late 2013. If not Oxford looks good on paper along with Bournemouth. I intend to go intergrated to do my ATPL.
Also what are my chances of getting into a school? I generally have good perception and co-ordination.
GCSE's -
English AB
Maths B
Science C although B in physics and B in Core
Also taking- Geography, Economics and Physics at A level.
Feedback much appreciated!

JazzyKex
25th Apr 2012, 21:14
Hi Charlie,

Probably best to start with a quick review of whether you mean BA or BAA. I assume you mean BA.

Might be worth a quick edit of you post or title to avoid confusion. Following that have a look on the BA website and follow the careers links. I think it's
Britishairwaysjobs.com or just follow the link at the bottom of the BA web page.

Good luck.

limesoda
25th Apr 2012, 22:52
Ahh of course i mean BA! probably the exam pressure getting to me ;) anyway yes ive been scouting around the sites. Also attending the seminar in T5 Heathrow this weekend which will help. Went there 2 years back and it did its justice for me! thanks you the help anyway :)

howflytrg
26th Apr 2012, 06:18
Charlie, I think you may well find the answers you are looking for at the Flyer show on Saturday. I Would head straight for the BA stand and ask those manning it when the next course may be. Head straight there because it most probably will be rammed, with a several people waiting to speak to the staff. A very useful one stop shop event to gather lots of info and news, before heading home to slowly and carefully digest!

P.s bring your own lunch. It's crazy expensive for the Sofitel lunch.

Joe86
26th Apr 2012, 06:47
The flyer seminar is really really really helpful! I went around two years ago, I walked away knowing which schools I liked and which I did not, the costs involved per school, best way to get a type rating etc... Plus just the fact of going to Heathrow and seeing/hearing all those wide bodies flying over your head will give you a huge boost to crack on and start training!

P.S. British Airways is also ‘BAW’ using the ICAO 3 letter airline code

26th Apr 2012, 07:00
Definitely go along to the Flyer show! Plan out the schools you really want to go and see and talk to them as much as possible. Always worth a proper look around the others, and have a list of questions. Try and ask some nasty questions as well as the usual ones, get a feel for how the rep reacts - do they act too much like sales or are they really listening to you and answering honestly?

Make sure to get to a couple of the seminars too, they are really quite useful.

In terms of the FPP, we don't know when the next application period will be and you should expect anywhere between four months to just over a year wait between getting the results and starting your course, so about 10 months to 18 months after initially applying.

The chances of getting on the FPP are quite slim, apparently the first intake had around 3,000 applicants, and around 90 were selected, which is about 3%

That being said, if you don't try, you have a 0% chance of getting it, and someone has to so why not you?

As for getting into a school on a non-sponsored/mentored scheme, with those academics you will probably be fine with any school you choose. Just make sure you do your research and don't be won over too easily by the glossy sales brochures!

Stonebaked
26th Apr 2012, 12:39
Do as much research into each FTO as you can. At the end of the day you are going to spending a lot of money with them and you want to make sure that it is both right for you and your ambitions. From what I have read and heard FPP isn't going to opening again for a while. As people have already mentioned the Flyer exhibition is definitely worth a visit.

limesoda
27th Apr 2012, 15:35
Thanks so much for the advice, it is really helpful. I was somewhat anticipating really negative feedback but it just goes to show that if you never ask, you'll never get an answer. Although the chance of getting onto the FPP are slim i think i will give it a crack next time round. If i don't make the cut i reckon i will just have to have a mooch at the seminar and keep all my possibilities open! Why are aircraft just so god damn cool! Cheers guys :)

limesoda
27th Apr 2012, 15:35
Also just out of interest, were those figures for the FPP based on international applicants too?