PDA

View Full Version : Moving map on tablet (non-Ipad)

FullTravelFree
25th Apr 2012, 05:03
Hi All,

I'm looking for a tablet/gps/moving map option.

The ipad is too big for me, so I was considering
the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", running Garmin Pilot,
or similar app.
Has anyone in Europe used this setup ?
How did you like it?

Thanks,

FTF

g-mady
25th Apr 2012, 08:21
Im surprised you think the Ipad is too big... I think its a comfortable size.
The Iphone screen isnt bad for using memory map. I imagine the samsung will probably be close to what you want but then too big for a phone or other uses. Surely you we be best getting a dedicated GPS unit?

MADY

Kulwin Park
25th Apr 2012, 09:00
Samsung Tablet 7" is excellent for flying. I use it all the time. And the map is just as fast as the Ipad

paco
25th Apr 2012, 10:25
As the man said - the IPAD too big? Hmm.

Try the Galaxy Note - it's excellent value if you want something smaller yet can still be used as a phone. Airnav pro works quite well, so does aeroweather.

Phil

delta3
25th Apr 2012, 16:04
I' am using since 2005 an own developed and very complete navigation suite (2D, 3D, 2.5 D, tunnels, procedures , google synced, own terrain database, gyro and TAS integrated ( see elZee - Free glass-cockpit for Helicopters (http://www.eLZee.eu)), I give it for free since 2 years, but it is fairly complex and does not cover the whole world) I use it on top of a dell XT. Would not want to miss it. Allows you to develop test and simulate complete 3D procedures, also plays back flights in 3 D

Because of cost benefit considerations (heavy maintenance cost of data) not commercialized (pilots that really can use that complexity probably can afford Garmin 5000H) I have just a few loyal users. Very useful in African mountains, volcano territory , alps, because of complete terrain guiding in 2D, 2.5 and 3 D, also has a simple but neat 3 D visualization of airspace

pm me if you want to know more

d3

FullTravelFree
25th Apr 2012, 21:32
Im surprised you think the Ipad is too big... I think its a comfortable size.

Well, tablet size also depends on cockpit size.
Bout half my time I spend in R44, and in the youtube movie
below the ipad is covering for about two octas of cockpit-screen :eek:

The Galaxy 7" has about the same screen size as the 695 (which I like a lot)
Together with Garmin Pilot for Android...
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=115856

...this should look and work almost like a 695; for a fraction of the price.
Am I right? I'd like to know, if there has been others who thought the same,
and have put this 'setup' to the test...? ...anyone?!?

Here's the Ipad is too big movie.... :}

aY4MuRQU6ZU

chopper2004
1st Apr 2013, 00:11
While I had started a thread seeking advice on whether the current iPad or iPad mini would be better use in the cockpit, I came across a 2012 summer or autumn issue of the OAMTC Christophorous FLugrettung magazine and there is an article about the OAMTC crews being issued with the Galaxy tablet. The flight operator / paramedic uses it in flight as its installed on the left hand seat of the EC135.

I thought as the Apple iPad was being used initially by the attack helo squadrons crews flying the AH-1W/Z for nav and targeting data as well as by their fixed wing KC-130J Harvest Hawk crews, and a lot of civil pilots I know do use the iPad and its been slowly introduced on the flight deck of commercial airliners as a new EFB, I'm curious about the selection Galaxy tablet is being used in the cockpit for the Christophorous crews.

Cheers

paco
1st Apr 2013, 06:58
The Galaxy is a great tablet (better than the ipad) BUT - the software that works so well on the ipad does not jump across so well. I went back to the ipad for that reason.

Phil