PDA

View Full Version : Registered Facilities teaching for the LAPL

Mickey Kaye
24th Apr 2012, 07:11
So rf have until the 8th April 2015 before they have to become ATO. What one has to do for this, the work involved and more importantly the costs are at present not known.

However reading through CAA notice to independent instructors;

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_IN-Info%20for%20independent%20flying%20instructors160412.pdf

Section 2.4 of this document states

"should be noted that the continuation of training within registered facilities is limited to the pre-existing activities of those organisations .....,

Before any other training for a part FCL licence - such as a LAPL the training organisation must become an ATO"

And as far as I am aware the NPPL (but again I don't know) will not be issued after 30th June.

So for students training for the PPL will be unaffected however those training for the NPPL will not be able to continue to do so and if the rf hasn't become ATO will not be able to train for the LAPL either.

Have I got this right or am I missing something/being stupid.

BigEndBob
24th Apr 2012, 09:29
So in order to finish the one NPPL student i have, i have to comply with ATO requirements and pay the CAA £1000 (see scheme of charges). So theres no putting off becoming an ATO for two years, unless i tell this student to go elesewhere. £1000, so thats another £1 an hour to add to our hourly rates!

BEagle
24th Apr 2012, 11:41
And as far as I am aware the NPPL (but again I don't know) will not be issued after 30th June.

Not true. In any case, any such restriction to national training would require the CAA to conduct a Regulatory Impact Assessment.

In response to the question "Can an RF remain an RF and train for national licences only?", EASA is on record as stating in reply "Yes, training for JAR-compliant PPL will be possible during the opt-out period and training for national licences for Annex II aircraft also beyond." (Note the usual €urobabble language....:uhoh:)

3 Point
24th Apr 2012, 13:29
Hi Beagle,

Thnks for your most useful info; I have a student who wants to start for his NPPL now and I was just poking around to find out how to advise him. We'll go ahead with the NPPL and perhaps in due course he might want to convert it to LAPL or even EASA PPL.

Happy landings!

3 Point

Whopity
24th Apr 2012, 16:58
So in order to finish the one NPPL student i have, i have to comply with ATO requirementsWhy would you have to be an ATO? The NPPL has nothing to do with EASA, you don't even need to be a RF to train for an NPPL because that was a JAA requirement, again nothing to do with the NPPL.

BEagle
24th Apr 2012, 19:10
...you don't even need to be a RF to train for an NPPL...

From the CAA-approved NPPL (SSEA) syllabus:

COURSE DESCRIPTION
The course shall be undertaken at a Registered Facility (RF) or Flying Training Organisation (FTO) within the UK or Isle of Man...

Which means neither in France Spain, USA nor anywhere else which doesn't meet the stated description.

CAP804 will, I understand, state 'at an organisation acceptable to the CAA'.

Whopity
24th Apr 2012, 21:02
I don't dispute that but its Guidance material and there is no official document that mandates it! any such restriction to national training would require the CAA to conduct a Regulatory Impact Assessment.And of course they never did.