PDA

View Full Version : CASA PNG staff losses

Hotpot
23rd Apr 2012, 20:39
Word going around is that a well respected CASA PNG FOI is about to pull the stumps out and move on.

I wonder if anymore Pacific Islanders are on their way to fill the vacancies ?

Since their COO left late last year the place hasn't really recovered, sad but true.

Sounds like they might need external assistance for their operational departments before the place becomes completely dysfunctional. They could do the obvious thing and match what industry is paying to attract the suitable caliber people, however I doubt that will ever happen given the politics involved.

gobbledock
23rd Apr 2012, 20:49
Perhaps Mick Quinn will come back to assist?

Tell them to ask the FAA for manpower, or else you will end up with the Australian Witchdoctor poking his nose into your affairs which is a fate worse than death.

Waghi Warrior
24th Apr 2012, 11:07
Who is leaving or left please, as there is a rumour going around that one of their FOIs has passed away ?

No names just initials or nicknames or PM me is ok.

I hope it's not the bloke I'm thinking of.

Mach E Avelli
24th Apr 2012, 11:49
Heard today that the former team leader GH did pass away recently. I only knew him a short time, but he seemed a decent bloke willing to help the industry in PNG.
As for the shortage of qualified experienced people, this will be an ongoing problem for PNG for as long as Port Moresby is such a mongrel place to live. It's not a matter of throwing more money at the salaries, which are probably reasonable. A recent advert for a COO was offering over $200,000 AUD, so I guess a humble FOI would be worth $140K which is on par with Australian CASA. But they will have to bite the bullet and offer equal time tours like the airlines and helicopter operators if they want to obtain international expertise, or attract PNG experienced pilots away from flying jobs.

NCD
25th Apr 2012, 08:38
If the pay is around $140K, they need to put it up somewhat, that is probably less than the PNG DH8 command package these days.

BTW they also recruit from the whole Pacific region, not just Aus so the accommodation issue may not be that much of a deal breaker

Waghi Warrior
25th Apr 2012, 20:59
Thanks for the help chaps.

Sad news that GH died as he was a great bloke and had achieved some very got results during his short stint with CASA PNG.

The other bloke leaving will also be a great loss to CASA PNG as well, not to mention the aviation industry as well. Rumour has it is that he is leaving the aviation industry completely for greener pastures with a large mining company.

Pinky the pilot
27th Apr 2012, 04:38
Hope it's not the GH I'm thinking of as well.

I spoke to AY about 18 months ago and he indicated that he was toying with the idea of returning to PNG eventually. Have no idea if he has done so.

Appreciate a PM re who is leaving.