PDA

View Full Version : Oil Fed Camshaft for Lyco O-540

140KIAS
23rd Apr 2012, 18:25
Our C182RG suffered a prop strike in some soft ground. The engine has been stripped down and fortunately no damage was found resulting from the prop strike. However the engine has extensive damage resulting from pitting on the camshaft followers. Im told this is down to lack of use combined with the design of the Lyco camshaft.

We're considering replacing the camshaft from these guys Centri-Lube Page (http://www.thenewfirewallforward.com/tnfwf2008b_004.htm) Cost is around $700 additional plus shipping. My question is will this help avoid a similar issue going forward or is higher utilisation the only real solution.

Also anything else we can do to protect the engine ? Its kept in a leaky hangar in Scotland.

thermostat
23rd Apr 2012, 21:38
I will never understand why the aircraft engine manufacturers have not endorsed the mandatory use of 100% synthetic oils in their engines. Synthetics have been used in all jet engines since their inception and turbines cost a hell of a lot more than a small piston engine. You would have a much better running, longer lasting (less wear), cooler (less friction), less fuel burning machine with the use of synthetics. Time for all to wake up !!!

rigpiggy
24th Apr 2012, 00:00
try avblend, and fly your airplane more. At the very least crank it over 20 blades with the mixture off every other week. Yes, it is inconvenient, but how much are you paying for the repairs?

pa12 pilot
24th Apr 2012, 08:21
I do not subscribe to the philosophy of turning over the engine (whether it's 20 blades with the mixture out or by hand). Doing so will not distribute oil evenly (remember, much of the lubrication depends on oil splashing, and the oil needs to be hot and less viscous to splash effectively [turning the engine over 20 blades definitely will not produce hot oil]). Furthermore, turning the engine over WILL scrape the oil off the cylinder walls, making them more prone to corrosion, and it WILL draw that moisture-laden air into the cylinders.

If you preheat the engine in the winter be certain not to leave the heat on for prolonged periods (I.e., for days at a time). Doing so has been shown to increase the amount of condensate forming inside the engine, hastening the formation of corrosion.

You can try blowing dry air into the crankcase through the crankcase ventilation tube. Devices for doing this are advertised in Trade A Plane and the EAA Sport Pilot magazine. These devices draw air through a desiccant, then blow the dry air into the crankcase.