PDA

View Full Version : Operation Doolitle (Strictly for Laughs)

althenick
22nd Apr 2012, 21:53
After a Bottle of Nice Californian Red, I’m Sitting here at the moment musing over the Falklands thread of the forum and it got me to thinking – If we got the QE on time and all hell broke loose again, could Tornado or Typhoon be launched from QE CVF with ski ramp, Bomb the crap out of Specified targets and make it back to ascension. Using AAR?

Bicster
22nd Apr 2012, 22:29
In a word, no.

charliegolf
23rd Apr 2012, 08:05
Launched, yes. Float all the way to the enemy? In a word, no.

CG:ok:

L J R
23rd Apr 2012, 09:15
To quote a famous shark hunter.....you're gonna need a bigger boat!
(say 7,000' long)

glojo
23rd Apr 2012, 10:08
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/glojoh/bite.gif

Would a Tornado even fit on the lift of a carrier, if left on the deck, would it possibly dissolve within a few days of being embarked?;):uhoh:

Humour........

S-H-I-P.... It's a blooming ship :D;)

On another thread I read about a pilot with a top bunk on a troopship nearly banging his head on the ceiling?????

Could ceiling be the maximum density altitude an aircraft can reach under a set of conditions?

or

Ceiling (cloud) the height above ground at which (accumulated) cloud layers cover more than 50% of the sky

Ceiling function in mathematics

Glass ceiling a bar to advancement of a qualified person

Price ceilingan imposed limit on the price of a product

Ceiling effect either a diminishing effect in a treatment or a limitation in a data-gathering instrument

Boat!! :=:=;)

Deck and deckheads...

Deck we walk on and the deckhead we hang our lamps from (or should I say bulb?)

HTB
23rd Apr 2012, 11:17
Don't be so precious GLO, LJR's quoting Quint from the film "Jaws", and what he is refering to is a boat.

When I spent a very short time on one of those grey ship/boat things, a friggit I think (to observe a JMC from surface level insted of the usual god-like heights), they gave me an inside room without windows, and a bed on top of a chest of drawers that put me very close to the ceiling of said room. On the plus side, there was a urinal that neatly doubled as a wash basin.

A most pleasant dining room cum bar for the officers and staggeringly cheap liquor. They even let me up on the bridge to look out of the big windows (and probably to stop me chucking up as well).

Mister B:E

BEagle
23rd Apr 2012, 11:29
....to observe a JMC

Did you meet the infamous Roger Waitout, that well-known, staggeringly inept naval wireless operator who plagued every JMC?

teeteringhead
23rd Apr 2012, 11:46
the infamous Roger Waitout, that well-known, staggeringly inept naval wireless operator ... would that be the one who had been promoted from Cabin Boy ..................... :E

HTB
23rd Apr 2012, 11:56
Alas Roger and I were not introduced - he operated in a part of the shiboat that I did not wish to investigate. That said, I have often heard his hurried heavy tread and laboured breathing over the wireless airwaves as he ran up and down stairs to pass on messages to his command structure - left the mike open again - and bring their reply for onward transmission to the eye in the sky. For all the good these communications did, they might as well have been in semaphore.

Mister B

ExAscoteer
23rd Apr 2012, 13:29
Did you meet the infamous Roger Waitout?

Along with that chap with the well known double-barreled surname, Peewhoa-Here.

fantom
23rd Apr 2012, 15:17
JMC? I couldn't possibly admit to working there...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/minlgw/ostendebasetraining2.jpg

chiglet
23rd Apr 2012, 22:09
What about "Das Boot" aka the "U" boat?

althenick
22nd Dec 2012, 15:52
Sorry for resurrecting this thread - But this is really good. The Aircraft Carrier is Pre-Phantomised Ark Royal and the Scimitar doesnt get a Boost. The movie is embedded on the Webpage and about 1.5 mins long. The Unboosted Take off is near the end.
There must have been a hell of a lot of Wind over the deck that day

Scottish Screen Archive - Full record for 'CATAPULT LAUNCH TESTS' (http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=6310)

NutLoose
22nd Dec 2012, 16:02
Deck we walk on and the deckhead we hang our lamps from (or should I say bulb?)

Actually according to my old electrical chum, it's a filament, a bulb is what you plant in ones garden. :=:bored:

Flypro
22nd Dec 2012, 19:58
Of course, Roger Waitout wasn't on watch on a Wednesday afternoon or over a weekend - but then, neither were most of you!

TorqueOfTheDevil
22nd Dec 2012, 22:30
could Tornado or Typhoon be launched from QE CVF with ski ramp

There won't be any space for them...the deck will be cluttered with all the Harriers that NFSF will be operating by then...and all the ones we borrow from the Spanish and Italians...and the USMC det...right?:oh:

Strictly for Laughs

Let's hope the wonks in the policy think-tank don't read this thread...

Schiller
23rd Dec 2012, 10:08
The Scimitar free take-off was the only one ever. It was in response to the naval staff requirement that specified that all naval aircraft had to demonstrate the ability to do it. The aircraft chosen was the lightest pre-production aircraft they could find, everything that could safely be removed was, holes drilled everywhere structural limitations permitted and the very barest minimum of fuel was poured in. A day with plenty of wind, max speed from the carrier, and the deed was done. The aircraft flew off to Ford; last flight, job done.

After that, the staff requirement was quietly dropped.

howiehowie93
23rd Dec 2012, 10:35
WOW !

I didn't twig they were non catapult take off's until the Sea Vixen was being hooked up. Extraordinary film.

I take it Phantom & Bucc didn't have to do that then if the requirement was dropped. Could they have if needed though ?

regards
Howie

LowObservable
23rd Dec 2012, 13:20
Holy :mad:.

The Sea Vixen's "looker", the seven-stone "Wee Jocky" McCrae, was right chuffed to be picked for the special test program until he realized why...