PDA

View Full Version : Bond incidents

billyboy112
22nd Apr 2012, 19:09
Hi guys new to the forum. Just wondering if any of you have heard or have any info on 2 Bond choppers within the last few weeks having to land back at Aberdeen on 1 engine. There has been very little said about it offshore.

billyboy112
22nd Apr 2012, 21:24
Wouldnt like to think Bond were keeping these things on the QT !!

roundwego
22nd Apr 2012, 22:04
Yawn.....:bored:

billyboy112
22nd Apr 2012, 22:40
Sorry if thats boring you there mate, Just concerned thats all..and very little info gets relayed to the troops offshore

Miles Gustaph
22nd Apr 2012, 23:12
Billy,

please forgive the lack of enthusiasm for your post, this is for genuine reasons rather than any bourn out of arrogance or lack of sympathy.

There are several warnings in and around PPRuNe covering what is posted and the press, and while if you are an offshore worker I sympathise if you feel you are not being kept informed, the aviation professionals who use PPRuNe are very wary of replying to posts from new members, such as yourself who want information about very specific events as these have a tendency to make there way into the press as "expert comments" and this is an informal forum for aviation professionals to discuss "stuff"

If you are an offshore worker with Bond as your carrier talk to your OIM or Union Rep and they will be able to get you the information you are looking for.

Miles

misterbonkers
23rd Apr 2012, 05:16
Landing on 1 engine happens at Aberdeen all the time - in the simulator!

helimutt
23rd Apr 2012, 11:42
content deleted

jayteeto
23rd Apr 2012, 13:09
Bond would not be able to keep things 'QT'. Incident reports would go in and they will be published in the next available bulletin.
A few years ago, I was on an Airbus from Spain to the UK, mid way the cabin lights failed but the flight was otherwise normal. The landing was a real thump, we got our bags and went home, job done. The local TV news that night told of the major electrical failure and full emergency declared on our flight, we didn't even know. We didn't need to know............

batboy1970
23rd Apr 2012, 17:36
Billy, my advice (as an ex offshore worker) would also be to raise it with your safety rep on the rig, they in turn will raise the concern with your onshore logistics who would contact bond and get a response for you.

That saves any interpretations being adopted by the bored or nosey of this world.

The real eye opener with your post must be the way that youve been replied to like a retard, what are you Bill, ohh only a customer, very disappointing to read but not at all surprising

BB

2papabravo
23rd Apr 2012, 21:00
I completely second batboy.

Some of the responses were totally unnecessary.

It may still be early days to know the exact cause, but I'm sure the information will be passed on, especially if requested through the appropriate channels such as your Safety Rep.

In the meantime, safe flying!:ok:

Colibri49
23rd Apr 2012, 21:06
billyboy112

Please refer to my thread Attention offshore passengers. Engine failures ! (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/483403-attention-offshore-passengers-engine-failures.html)

Please pass on the facts to your colleagues. Thanks.

billyboy112
24th Apr 2012, 01:17
Thanks for the responses folks. Always reassuring to hear from the experts. The link posted was pretty informative and sets a nervous fliers mind at ease. (A little)

As for Helimutt, It just goes to show that there are sniders in all industries.

Another quickie- How good is the autorotation when its about 50knts+?
And do pilots enjoy flying when its pretty wild out? Everyone says "The choppers love the wind" . THey don't feel like they love it ;)

Epiphany
24th Apr 2012, 05:30
Each helicopter type has an airspeed that gives a minimum rate of descent in autorotation and ideally that is what pilots fly to achieve to allow more time to prepare for the ditching. This is typically around 80 kts and at speeds slower or faster than this then the rate of descent is higher.

Helicopters perform better when taking off and landing into wind as this provides greater lift and requires less power. Wind often creates turbulence and this is not comfortable but is often unavoidable.

If you have concerns then speak to the pilots or your company.

helimutt
24th Apr 2012, 06:06
Helimutt thanks for making professional pilots seem like tw@ts.

Please delete my account Mods as I have nothing further to conttribute to this forum. Too many folk without sense of humour.

As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions.:ok:

Bravo73
24th Apr 2012, 11:51
Please delete my account Mods as I have nothing further to conttribute to this forum. Too many folk without sense of humour.
:ok:

I bet ya don't go, hm. :p

Dave Barnshaw
24th Apr 2012, 12:30
Shaken but not stirred:)

Brilliant Stuff
24th Apr 2012, 13:00
Billy,
When I was working offshore we used to shut down offshore regularly in order to wait for a platform to finish so we could go an pick them up which meant we spent a lot of time amongst the workers and they then would happily voice any of their concerns to us which we would then explain etc. So if you get a chance like that...

As for your question about Autorotations into 50kts wind...the stronger the wind the more time you get to choose your landing site and prepare for the landing/ditching.

In other words it's a good thing.

griffothefog
24th Apr 2012, 16:37
Helimutt, Helimutt, where for art thee Helimutt?????? :{

We will leave a glass of milk out for you tonight on the steps, Im sure you will return :p

Hummingfrog
24th Apr 2012, 20:21
Brilliant stuff

Would you like to rethink this:-

As for your question about Autorotations into 50kts wind...the stronger the wind the more time you get to choose your landing site and prepare for the landing/ditching.

If you are descending in autorotation at say 1500ft/min it will take 1 min to come down from 1500ft irrespective of the wind speed. The disadvantage of a strong wind is that you are limited to landing in a fairly tight arc in front of you. The advantage is that you will have more energy at the bottom as a zero knot ground speed will still be a 50kt airspeed so the flare can be gentler.

HF (retd)

(hello helimutt!!)

Brilliant Stuff
27th Apr 2012, 18:51
HF

I stand corrected.

I did mix on-shore with off-shore which didn't help....

Of course if you are off-shore 50 it's will generate some serious waves which won't make the landing / scrabble to safety in a dinghy not exactly easy but it should a smooth touchdown.

I shall leave in future the commenting to the TRI/Es they know what they are talking about.....

coatimundi
10th May 2012, 13:24
Hopefully there will be some interesting answers about autorotation and other safety aspects after today's events...:ooh:
I am being inundated out here offshore with questions about Bond (we don't use them - at the moment), autorotations, why has everything else been grounded (no flight from ABZ until further notice), etc etc ad nauseam.
Safety Reps and offshore logistics don't usually have the answers immediately, I've got 7 blokes waiting for today's chopper and they're none too happy....
Some days we need a LOT of reassurance from the guys up front, it's human nature :hmm:

simfly
10th May 2012, 14:02
grounding of the helis temporarily may have been to keep the area clear for SAR operations..... :ok:

Alloa Akbar
10th May 2012, 14:52
Helimutt thanks for making professional pilots seem like tw@ts
Naa.. if you want to find a real sanctimonious @rsehole try the Fixed Wing threads..

HeliComparator
10th May 2012, 16:48
coatimundi, not sure which operator you use but we have not grounded anything, we are just being ultra cautious and carrying out some extra checks on the gbx / lube system. Not expecting to find anything, but we take your (and our!) safety very seriously and sorry but it is worth delaying the flights for 1/2 a day to allow the engineers to do their work without time pressure, just to check there are no latent issues. I am sure normal service will be resumed tomorrow!

AFAIK the aircraft didn't autorotate, it made a twin-engine power-on (controlled) ditching.

HC

ScotiaQ
10th May 2012, 19:46
Thank you HC for bringing some sanity to this thread. It is always good to hear the expert view. I'm not a great believer in "experts" but you are the exception that proves the rule.

The recent Bond incident is unfortunate but thankfully not disasterous with no fatalities and as you say was a controlled ditching under power. We all await the cause with some anticipation.

Under these circumstances Engineering need time to decide what needs to be checked and then carry out the check and given these circumstances, without any time pressure.

Sq

DeltaFree
10th May 2012, 22:26
A large chunk of the no fly today was apparently an air traffic thing. The news says Bond will not fly 225s tomorrow but will review that decision tomorrow evening at 6. Maybe they have some info that will need to be considered tomorrow, if it is important I hope it is shared with all.

diginagain
11th May 2012, 07:54
I hope to see ops returned to normal soon. Perhaps it's because I believe in karma - many hours on Lynx will do that - perhaps it's because I'm booked to fly in with Bond on Tuesday.

Well done to the two blokes up-front yesterday.