PDA

View Full Version : How restricted is a restricted FI?

B737Dude
22nd Apr 2012, 00:10
Hello,

Can a newly qualified restricted FI give trial lesson outside a flying school/club.. example being.. A RFI has a share in a C152 and has the appropriate insurance in place for his/her aircraft share.. Can that FI strictly speaking give a trial lesson without supervision from a CFI?

Cheers

B737dude

Dan the weegie
22nd Apr 2012, 04:44
It's hard to tell you something without knowing the whole context but

in principle the answer is no. You can't give a "trial lesson" without a) a registered training facility b) a supervising FI and C) an aircraft insured for Ab Initio training. Many syndicate aircraft don't have this because it's much more expensive.

The flight experience is part of the PPL syllabus so it's a lesson like any other.

So that's the literal interpretation of what you asked.

If you want to take a non paying passenger up for a flight and let them have a go, you can do that, you can probably even practice your patter but it's not a loggable flight and they should not be paying you for it.

S-Works
22nd Apr 2012, 07:29
A restricted FI can't do anything without the constraints of an RTF soon to be ATO and a supervising FI. If you want to operate freelance then a CRI is a better rating technically as it has no restrictions. However a CRI can't do abinitio or night so could not do trial lessons.

I thinks it's a bit of a surprise to a new FI(R) how little they can actually do generally, which may indicate a failing in the training system.

So to answer your question, No.

B737Dude
22nd Apr 2012, 07:46
Ok, doesn't seem to be a good investmesnt if you want to work as a freelance
FI.

The reason I'm asking this is.. It looked as a simplier option than getting a,
A to A AOC... Instead of selling pleasure flights I was thinking of selling trial flights (bit more involved than it just sounds)... But seems like that loop hole is a very tight one also with EASA coming into effect things are just going to get worse.

I'm planning on doing something very unique and very different.. There's only few places in the USA and just one place in the UK (that I know of) that provides the service that I'm planning on giving..

Cheers

mad_jock
22nd Apr 2012, 07:51
If not alot of folk are doing what you plan its usually for very good reason.

S-Works
22nd Apr 2012, 07:55
The A to A AOC is not as difficult as some make it out and keeps you on the right side of the law. When you call me, remind me and we can talk about it. We operate under an AOC which allows both A to A and A to B amongst its approvals.

B737Dude
22nd Apr 2012, 08:02
Schools, Clubs can't afford the service I'm offering. It's nothing to do with a/c, instructors, airfield (landing fees).. It's just very unique! Plus a lot of people are too lazy to think for them selfs and like the idea of living on a wage!

B737Dude
22nd Apr 2012, 08:09
Bose-x, I will give you a shout later on today... I've got a few people that already have a, A to A AOC willing to give advise which is much appreciated.

Someone said last night it was non existent.. And the cost of obtaining one can cost upto £8k...

Cheers

portsharbourflyer
22nd Apr 2012, 08:44
When you consider the cost and hassle there not just the registration cost for the AOC, but also the cost of fire, first aid, dangerous goods courses etc, I think there is far better ways to spend upwards of 10,000 pounds to progress your flying career.

Thats a reasonable amount of multi time in the us, or even the good part of a type rating.

Doubtless I wish you good luck, but you will probably find there are good reasons why it hasn't been done already.

Remember the golden rule in aviation the only way to make small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one on the first place.

bingofuel
22nd Apr 2012, 09:11
You are restricted for a reason, you are serving a short apprenticeship to ensure you are suitable to then have the restriction lifted.

Why does every body want to run before they can walk these days, and how come a newly restricted FI does not know the priviledges of his rating?

mrmum
22nd Apr 2012, 19:24
Once you've interviewed a number FI(R)s for jobs, over several years, you kind of get used to them not knowing much about their privileges and restrictions. Of course, I've only talked to candidates from a little over half-a-dozen FIC providers, but that doesn't seem to feature very highly in the courses. Perhaps, they expect that kind of thing to be sorted out by their supervising FI?
I once had an instructor who'd done a dozen or two hours elsewhere, actually arrive with some supervised solos already on their form, including ex.14 :eek: which their previous supervising FI had allowed and signed-off on. :ugh:
I find the definition of "first solo navigation flight" is always a good one to ask them.