PDA

View Full Version : Question from Canada regarding Oxford

taytealdred96
21st Apr 2012, 15:52
My questions are concerning Oxford Aviation Academy. I HAVE used the search tool and I have not found anything useful. So, my questions : Recommend OAA over Canadian schools? Are there any jobs in Europe? And do you get a degree from OAA?
Thanks in advance.

paco
21st Apr 2012, 16:12
If you want JAA training they're certainly better than Canadian schools.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Apr 2012, 17:17
You don't get a degree. Oxford is just a large town, it happens to have a university there as well. You don't get a degree from any flight school in Britain, you get flight training.

Ignore the cobblers called a "Foundation Degree" being touted by a few organisations, it's worth little or nothing academically - much the same as some of the utterly lightweight two year "degrees" offered in association with some flight schools in the USA. If you want a degree, and there are many good reasons to aim for a degree, Britain has some of the best but also most expensive universities in the world. Be aware however that in Britain, unlike some countries, the poor universities charge about the same as the world leading ones, so do your homework.

Unless you have an EU passport (e.g. British, French...) or work permit there are no jobs in Europe. There is also a massive oversupply of newly qualified pilots in Europe.

Converting a JAA commercial into a Canadian is I believe reasonably straightforward. On the other hand, it'll be much cheaper and easier just to do a Canadian professional licence if that's where you're going to work.

OAA is primarily an "integrated" school. Look at the top of the page (or frankly, about every fourth thread here) for opinions about "integrated" versus "modular" schools in Europe. Also compare the prices of the integrated and modular schools TO OBTAIN THE SAME QUALIFICATION.

G

Bealzebub
21st Apr 2012, 19:08
TO OBTAIN THE SAME QUALIFICATION

But not necessarily the same opportunities once you have obtained it!

brolga
22nd Apr 2012, 02:23
Ther is an Oxford Aviation Academy at Moorabbin Airport in Melbourne Australia. I haven't used them, but their aircraft are new models and they have a solid reputation.

GordoPA44
22nd Apr 2012, 12:51
Oxford at Moorabbin was not for me. I was lucky to have a good teacher. How ever most planes are already booked and you will have to book 4 weeks in advance. they run it like a driving school with very little time to de brief after a flight. What I will agree with is that the planes a new and there ground theory is good. But if you looking for a flying school which is more like a family Oxford is not for you.

taytealdred96
23rd Apr 2012, 03:01
Thanks for all of the information. Do employers in England look for pilots with degrees? Also, does OAA have a good reputation with European airlines? Overall , would you recommend this school?

paco
23rd Apr 2012, 04:51
Degrees are not regarded as important for flying, and Oxford is one of the top schools in the country. These things are very personal - you're best to come over and look around.

Harv's Air in Steinbach (Manitoba) have some experience with JAA procedures.

taytealdred96
26th Apr 2012, 00:06
Do you think you have a good shot of getting a job after graduating ?

paco
26th Apr 2012, 04:58
The degree won't make much difference for that - it is really only useful for your later flying life.