PDA

View Full Version : Joint Warrior sightings

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 17:38
Was aware of the current milex based out of South West Scotland, but didnt expect to see so much air traffic out East in Fife. Yesterday (19/4) I witnessed a GR4 at medium level, 4 Squirrels low down in a loose echelon formation and a Britten-Norman Islander (presumably a AAC Defender?) all in the space of 10 minutes. More military traffic than I've seen in the last 12 months here. :p

Was most intrigued by the Defender, whitish paint job rather than the grey depicted on the MoD website. Came over an urban area very low, 500' max? Prompted the question as to why the AAC elect to use a fixed wing type, its survivability seems very questionable! :eek:

Comments anyone?

WE992
20th Apr 2012, 18:36
Are you sure it was a defender?. There was a DA40 operating out of Prestwick in support of JW this week.

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 18:42
No doubt about it, very distinctive profile. Twin engine, square wing. Boxy. And like I say it was darn low! Anyone know if like the Fisheries/Coastguard people operate one? Might explain the non grey paintjob.

Dan Gerous
20th Apr 2012, 19:43
If as you say it was white, it may have been G-MAFF, but I'm not sure about saying why they use it, so I won't.

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 19:53
Dan,

Thanks for the heads up on G-MAFF, but nope pretty sure it wasnt her. No nose radom or the port side camera fit either. May have been light grey after all.

Conjecture, but north east heading might suggest departure from Edinburgh.

Any AAC boys out there able to fill me in on what you get up to with these kites?

diginagain
20th Apr 2012, 20:05
There may be a reason why it's not in the public domain............... :suspect:

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 20:20
Rendition? By BN Islander! :O

Well why not? So low n slow it might not show up on a doppler!

PICKS135
20th Apr 2012, 20:28
4 Squirrels may have been EC-35's heading for the Fairmont Hotel,

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 20:35
You may be correct Sir,

They had fenestrons, so thinking about it not Squirrels.

Heading east as per

Is that where James Bond hangs out these days? :cool:

PICKS135
20th Apr 2012, 20:43
Workmate played golf there on Wednesday, and said a conference of bankers was taking place.

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 20:50
Coulda done with a QRA scramble from Leuchars for good measure

Target rich environment :hmm:

ralphmalph
20th Apr 2012, 21:46
TRE....Not in an F3. Unless the rotary Squawked all the way ;-)

TEEEJ
21st Apr 2012, 11:57
Coochycool wrote

Britten-Norman Islander (presumably a AAC Defender?)

The RAF also operate the Islander.

RAF - Islander BN2T CC Mk2 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/islander.cfm)

Trim Stab
21st Apr 2012, 17:53
Unlikely to have been an "RAF" Islander on Joint Warrior, and so far oop north.

I wonder if some of the AAC Islander/Defenders might have been repainted for their Olympic duty?