PDA

View Full Version : Fun police operate across the board....

grimfixer
20th Apr 2012, 17:28
Seems you aren't safe anywhere nowadays...........

Coastguard pilot suspended for using helicopter to pick up steaks from Orkney butcher - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9216688/Coastguard-pilot-suspended-for-using-helicopter-to-pick-up-steaks-from-Orkney-butcher.html)

Anyone got the actual story here?

Rooting for the guy (or girl) in the guano anyway.:ok:

pr00ne
20th Apr 2012, 17:36
Fun?

It wasn't his money he was burning his way through.

Try Fraud.

Deserves all he gets.

Coochycool
20th Apr 2012, 17:43
They picked my old man up off a mountainside last weekend. Thankyou :ok: thankyou :ok: thankyou :ok:. Happy ending.:D

But what if they'd been "otherwise tasked" at the time? :E

The Gorilla
20th Apr 2012, 17:45
Ahh Yes one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist, perhaps that is why Abu Qatada has so much support? Fraud or Fun who decides??
:}

glad rag
20th Apr 2012, 17:58
One of the crew said that would be great because they have to train to do drops in rough areas. :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::ouch:

Tourist
20th Apr 2012, 18:40
Proone

I don't want to seem harsh, but I truly believe that it is attitudes like yours that crush all the fun out of life and the world would be a vastly superior place if people like you were to never ever be given any power to effect my life.

high spirits
20th Apr 2012, 18:41
Hands up who has never used mil ac for a spot of 'tourism' or a favour?????

Thought so....

Proonie, you have surpassed your own bluntie Marxist attitude with this one. Well done fella......:=

waveskimmer
20th Apr 2012, 18:52
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Willard Whyte
20th Apr 2012, 18:58
Tourist:

A. ****ing. Men.

Well said sir.

No offence pr00ne, but life needs lightening up. Always.

TurbineTooHot
20th Apr 2012, 19:02
Once again Tourist me old china, I find myself in total agreement with you. Proone, get a life. You would be what we call a fun sponge.

thorpey
20th Apr 2012, 19:08
So what if they did, hope they had a good scoff.

500N
20th Apr 2012, 19:09
+1

Agree totally.

:D

giblets
20th Apr 2012, 19:26
The RAF is right to come done hard on anyone who miss uses assets.....oh damn.....
RAF defends Prince William's Chinook helicopter trip with Harry to stag party - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1895695/RAF-defends-Prince-Williams-Chinook-helicopter-trip-with-Harry-to-stag-party.html)

Sir George Cayley
20th Apr 2012, 19:35
Anyone else noticed we've entered a New Puritan Age?

SGC

El_Presidente
20th Apr 2012, 20:07
Tree hugging nimby's ...

Regardless of the 'off task' nature, it's ad-hoc handling time and LZ practice. Should we now start sacking police officers and ambulance staff for picking up brew kit during their patrols...???

Mary Scanlon and CHC need to re-think their motivational technique.

:mad:

ShyTorque
20th Apr 2012, 20:52
If they had landed in a rough field for the practice but not picked up any meat, would that have been OK? I suspect this has something to do with a vindictive green eyed monster, rather than common sense. :ugh:

PICKS135
20th Apr 2012, 21:10
Didnt a certain SAR pilot do a little rough field practice, in his future in laws fields, and not get hauled over the coals ?

"Running in"
20th Apr 2012, 21:54
What absolute b@@@ocks!! As part of a practice sortie you practice landings! So what if they did it & picked up some meat! Fraud! You must be joking! We are surely reaching the point where we need personality free robots to operate our cabs in all walks... Be careful though because I dare say (and I don't know any crew involved by the way) that the same guys would interpret a few rules different to said robots to achieve the aim when the chips are down
Reinstate the bloke & let him get on with his job!

ricardian
21st Apr 2012, 00:04
Can't blame the crew for appreciating Orkney beef!

Ivan Rogov
21st Apr 2012, 08:44
The problem is where do you draw the line?

In this case the pick up might have fitted in perfectly with a legitimate training sortie, however even the pages of Pprune have legendary stories of flying the length of the country for fresh kippers, etc.

Unfortunately, like it or not you have to be able to justify your actions in todays environment. We are being asked to save pennies on the ground to make a difference, the operating cost of aircraft is huge in comparison.

Outdated and arrogant attitudes of 'I can do what I like' need to be consigned to the history books, bad PR sticks even if untrue and our leaders care about it much more than they do about us. Even if something is legitimate, would it look good if the press found out and put it on the front page? There is still some fun to be had but the most important rule applies, 'Don't get caught!'

Tankertrashnav
21st Apr 2012, 08:50
I was once a nav on a Hastings which went to to Stornaway for some spurious reason or other. The real reason was to pick up a load of lobsters for a ball in the Officers Mess at Lindholme*. Much consternation on the way back when several escaped and we were clambering around the back of the aircraft rounding them up. A waste of money? Maybe , but it came out of the month's training allocation, and was a useful landing at an otherwise unfamiliar airfield. A bit like our Coastguard guy, who I well and truly hope comes out of this b**cks with his career intact!

*And fair's fair, a goodly proportion went to the guys on the line when we got back!

Goprdon
21st Apr 2012, 09:10
I recall that at Stradishall , when it was the home of 1ANS in the late 1960s, the staff navigators , when carrying out continuation training, used often to go to Machrinish. For some reason these exercises were called "Fish Runs".
I also remember Oysters from St. Mawgan. Where the pilot was allegedly briefed to fly at a height where there was sufficient oxygen to keep the little beauties alive.

Trim Stab
21st Apr 2012, 09:55
There was no shortage of outrage on here when it emerged that MPs were "having some fun" with public money!

Ken Scott
21st Apr 2012, 10:38
There was no shortage of outrage on here when it emerged that MPs were "having some fun" with public money!

Mr Stab: Hardly the same, the MPs were lining their pockets by cheating on the rules. This chap killed 2 birds with a single stone, so to speak, by getting in some rough field landing training whilst saving the butcher from having to drive to the airport to deliver his steak.

Where was the monetary gain for this pilot? He would've obtained his meat anyway but by his method he actually achieved some valuable training.

I remember the days when people who were detached could use up their monthly SCT allowance on a Fri pm/ Mon am, flying to & from the bases where their families lived in MQs to save them from a long drive home. Was this fraud? Or creative use of an already budgeted for flying allowance that killed 2 birds with one stone? The ac weren't used over the weekend anyway.

We live in sad times....

PTT
21st Apr 2012, 12:02
Someone please post a rule, order or other instruction stating that he can't do this so long as it qualifies as effective training. Otherwise wind your stiff necks in and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

This is precisely the attitude which is killing off the ethos of the military. To:mad:ers.

chopabeefer
21st Apr 2012, 14:01
I think what this crew did is appalling:*, and they should be strung up like the meat they bought.

When I was on SAR, I NEVER flew Seakings, regularly, to the Lake District for Sandwiches, and certainly NEVER EVER to Carlisle airport for the wonderful Cumberland ring that...err, some b o d y told me they do there.

I absolutely deny ever having flown from MPA to Mt Byron for a Bacon Sarnie, and I am appalled at the suggestion that I may have, several times, used a Seaking to go fishing on W Falkland. Not me.

I also never flew a Wessex from Aldergrove to Skye for a haggis.

Oh, and I never flew a Bell 412 from Shawbury to manston for an ice cream. That would be naughty.

And none of my mates ever did any of those things either:hmm:.

Shame on that crew - honestly, you can't get the staff these days.

I am definately not on a heli-lanes jolly next week either, in case anyone is wondering, and it will be pure chance if we nightstop and hit Belgo's for some BEvERages.

alwayslookingup
21st Apr 2012, 15:10
Similar part of the world. In the pre-Sunday sailing/flight days from Stornoway to Ullapool, the Stornoway coastguard would fly to Ullapool to collect the Sunday papers under the guise of a practice flight. This was stopped when the good men of the Stornoway free churches found out what was going on. Travel through necessity is permitted under their creed, but most certainly not for the papers on the Sabbath.

mad_jock
21st Apr 2012, 15:17
I did summer camp there one year with the TA and a contigent of auld women turned up at the gate on the way to the Kirk and put paid to the RSM's plans for drill practise in the morning and also the PTI's plan for making us run all afternoon.

Even when the flights/ferrys started they is a definate issue with newspapers on a sunday even to this day.

26er
21st Apr 2012, 16:01
Nothing new in the world! A mate at his wife's request (she who must be obeyed) nipped up to the mess for twenty Players, climbed into his 275 Squadron Sycamore, and dropped them in his own back garden, this being the only way he could get off the station whilst on SAR standby. Chivenor 1957.

tucumseh
21st Apr 2012, 17:28
I remember the FAA were one down for the Spithead Review in 77 after a pilot decided to use the maintenance check flight to move some furniture to his new station. The four poster cracked a fuel line. The crew were quicker off the mark than us and we caught up as they lurked behind the control tower.

Kiltrash
21st Apr 2012, 17:56
Who can say that this was not sanctioned by the pilots 'boss' and this makes it O.K.??

Also I regularly see Police, Ambulalance and Fire Engines + full crew getting additional supplies for the local station canteen from their local supermarket

So saving money, time, and supporting crew bonding!

Hope the person doing the diciplinary gives them a smack on the wrist and announces that due process has been followed and the matter is closed

A2QFI
21st Apr 2012, 18:09
When I was at Akrotiri, in the 60s, I was given a Canberra to fly to UK so the the 10 hours on it, before a scheduled Minor servicing were not "Wasted". We had an engine failure on the approach to Marham (Customs) and while the engine was being changed the O2 system went flat and had to be purged. I think we were away for about 10 days, just to use the hours!

NutLoose
21st Apr 2012, 18:45
Of course it was a figment of imagination that a Wessex went to Macrahanish to collect some fish, or indeed it was a figment of my imagination that a Puma landed at Newcastle to pick up a motorcycle the pilot had bought on the way back from exercise many moons ago......

Ricorigs
21st Apr 2012, 19:09
Ok so they fly a nav and land on a field big whoop.

But the fact he went somewhere he could achieve something else at the same time he needs a suspension and dragging through the coals. What a load of cr*p.

I really do worry what this bureaucratic BS and knee jerk media pleasing hierarchy will leave us with.

If it was all approved, had training value and legal what is the issue?

Milo Minderbinder
21st Apr 2012, 19:24
Presumably thats the point - it wasn't approved and now the supposed training discussion has been raised as a retrospective attempt to evade the issue

Wrathmonk
21st Apr 2012, 20:08
And isn't this incident a civilian pilot in a civilian helicopter working for a civilian company. Therefore nothing to do with Military Aviation.....

No one in the military would ever do such a thing and anyone who says we do is clearly non-mil and just jealous they didn't make the grade ;););)

charliegolf
21st Apr 2012, 20:10
or indeed it was a figment of my imagination that a Puma landed at Newcastle to pick up a motorcycle the pilot had bought on the way back from exercise many moons ago......

I imagined that JG, he of the fair hair and ruddy ckeeks, nearly died when the motorbike shop went for a bit of free publicity in (thankfully) the local rag! Nothing adverse came of it. No Pprune back then.

CG

Corrona
21st Apr 2012, 20:31
what a load of nonsense, if the issue is people wasting public money, than what about all the half baked yet fully sanctioned ideas that that our elected leader come up with...how much did the dome cost?..olympics? PFI's, think tanks...yes there are all kinds of way's to waste public money...some are real story's, some are, as i said at the beginning, nonsense.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and this guy will keep his job.

NutLoose
21st Apr 2012, 20:35
I never ever used to get lifts up to Northern England with my Motorbike in the back of Chinooks going on leave...

And no Cab ever hover taxied into I think it was Speke to drop someone off going on leave, and even though Speke tried to bill for a landing, they failed, it was pointed out it never landed, simply threw the guy and his bags out a couple of feet in the hover.

And no Crewman ever got himself on a trip in a Puma to Gut, to get the motor for his German made washing machine replaced..

;)

Herod
21st Apr 2012, 20:44
ROUGH field practice? That's a bl**dy billiard table!

B Fraser
21st Apr 2012, 20:56
When I was visiting the Met Office at Leuchars, no (non-UK) NATO aircraft ever had a tech diversion whereupon the first item off the aircraft was a set of golf clubs. Nope, never happened, didn't see a thing ;)

Fly747
22nd Apr 2012, 01:36
My brother fraudulently saved petrol by putting his car in the back of a herc from Gut to Lyneham. I seem to remember he then had paperwork difficulties getting customs sorted out as he was importing it at the end of his tour.

biddedout
22nd Apr 2012, 06:37
Mrs Windsor used to take a Tristar and three Nimrods with her when she went on her Holls. Of course the Nirods were on a very important exercise and it was only a coincidence that HRH was pasing by. ;)

Now that would have paid for a lot of steak.

SRENNAPS
22nd Apr 2012, 07:57
The problem you have in the society of today is that nobody in charge has got the ability to apply common sense or any form of reality to an incident such as this. To them it is a black and white rule broken and therefore it must be condemned and punishment awarded. Take Mary Scanlon’s comments for example. She should be the first to understand the importance of the role that the coastguard plays in that area and the danger that potentially comes with it. She could quite easily have seen the incident for what it really was and made a rather more appropriate comment.

I have no doubt that the crew of that aircraft would bend or even break rules to save the life of a person in distress. I have no doubt that they would put their own lives in danger to try and save the life of another. They are not selfish people and they are certainly not corrupt or fraudulent people.:D:D

It is the qualities and attitudes of people like the crew of this aircraft that are being eroded away because of the self righteous attitude of certain people in charge or in prominent positions such as the local MSP. Ask me who I would trust in any form of situation I might find myself in; the pilot of this aircraft, the person who ordered the suspension (who I have no doubt has probably moved his way up the greasy pole in the normal way – most of you will know what I mean) or the MSP (who have a tendency to change their values or beliefs at a moments notice if the party requires it).

I do hope to God that we see the light soon and start applying common sense with respect to the so called rule book before all of the qualities, values and honourable attitudes of decent folk have completely spiralled out of the bottom of the tube. If we don’t then this country really will become screwed and I mean far more screwed that it already is.:ugh::ugh:

NutLoose
22nd Apr 2012, 10:26
biddedout...
Mrs Windsor used to have her own set of VC10 wheels, that we would fit everytime she went flying in it, indeed she seemed to own quite a lot of VC10 stuff..

El Grifo
22nd Apr 2012, 10:51
20 odd years ago, when I lived in the village of Maxton in the Scottish Borders, a Sea King dropped into the front lawn of the big Country House along the road. I wandered along with my camera to be met by several occupants of the house and a couple of crew. They were obviously going up for a jolly.
I said take me along and I will get some nice shots of the estate. Hop aboard they said. I was hooked up with a harness and headphones and sat throughout the 30 min trip at the edge of the open door. Third best seat in the house I reckoned !!

After some fantastic low level stuff and high speed pull-ups, we crept along behind a guy in a combine, who only knew we were there when the straw started whirling up all around his machine.
Poor guy almost crapped himself when he looked up and saw the clattering monster 20 feet above him ! He loved the subsequent snaps though !

The crew had been on exercise at nearby Otterburn and dropped in to see the pilots mother in law, who was lady in waiting to Diana, different rules clearly applied in that case though :ugh:

denachtenmai
22nd Apr 2012, 12:33
Ballykelly, back in the early 60's, we certainly didn't climb aboard a squadron Shackleton which then did a trip to St.Mawgan, Manston, Hucknall and, I believe, ISK, just to save a 24 hour journey (for me!) on a stand down leave period!
Regards, Den.

airborne_artist
22nd Apr 2012, 12:39
Rumour has it that a Midshipmite whose father commanded a large red ship did his Dartmouth sea-time (SL aircrew only did ten days) in said large red ship and then flew back from Gib.

Perhaps the best moment was when Pere Artist came up onto the bridge as I was showing the Captain's Secretary how to use the Decca kit. The old man realised with a start that his little lad was now a naval officer.

blimey
22nd Apr 2012, 13:56
He should have dropped a flower into the Atlantic en route claiming it was in memory of the Titanic. The pillocks who unfortunately set the tone in this country could then have had a collective emote, and he would have been off scot-free. The BBC could have covered it. :{

I should add that if I should go my length carrying a side of beef, a couple of pork pies, and a ham shank to my car, these lads are well trained to pluck me from the butcher's yard and whip me off to hospital. No experience is ever wasted.

J.A.F.O.
22nd Apr 2012, 15:49
Unfortunately, like it or not you have to be able to justify your actions in todays environment.

Who says?

I hope that those in power see sense.

Canadian Break
22nd Apr 2012, 16:24
When those who sit in any type of position of governmental responsibility - local or national, see fit to show that they are indeed whiter than white, I will start to take notice of Ms Scanlon et al. Until then, I will simply continue to do what I consider to be "the right thing at the time", having hopefully considered all the pros and cons of the situation - and if that breaks a rule then I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. There are millions of decent, hard-working people in this country of all colours, ethnicity, religion and political stripe and it's about bloody time their voices were heard. I am far from being an anarchist, but those in positions of responsibility should remember that they run this country with the consent of the silent majority.:mad::suspect:

obnoxio f*ckwit
22nd Apr 2012, 18:26
And I never ever used the military supply system to fly 36 bottles of Bacardi and a load of pineapple juice and coconut cream, plus a bunch of inflatable palm trees and other jungle related paraphernalia on a C-17 to Basra for a Belize party. No never. Especially when the JEngO commented he'd been waiting 4 days for a fuel pump for the AOG ac and the booze took less than 12 hrs...

El_Presidente
22nd Apr 2012, 18:37
obnoxio f*ckwit And I never ever used the military supply system to fly 36 bottles of Bacardi and a load of pineapple juice and coconut cream, plus a bunch of inflatable palm trees and other jungle related paraphernalia on a C-17 to Basra for a Belize party. No never. Especially when the JEngO commented he'd been waiting 4 days for a fuel pump for the AOG ac and the booze took less than 12 hrs...

But that's the key...the JEngO wanted spares ...everyone knows the military don't carry spares these days!! Was this post just in time?!

:}

SRENNAPS
22nd Apr 2012, 19:05
Canadian Break

You echo my earlier words, well said. :D:D

The problem is that the voices of the silent majority will never be heard because the voices of the 60 (ish) percent of the brainwashed population who keep voting for these knobs will keep these people in power; and we call it democracy.

If I won an election where I won only 36.1% of a 65.1 % turnout and then had to rely on a 3rd place party with only 23% of that 65.1 % of the vote to become PM, I would truly hang my head in shame and look at the whole system to try and establish where it has gone so wrong. The fact that these people (all politicians of all parties) don’t do this and then crucify anybody who bends a rule shows what kind of people we have in charge of us. As I grow older my blood boils more and more. :mad:

NutLoose
22nd Apr 2012, 19:29
I can categorically deny ever filling the front hold of a VC10 up with 43 cases of bier whilst there was a fuel saving moratorium going on, so much so they had reduced the amount of Dom water being carried and the movements officer who was also on the plane with his boys had limited them to one case each! :O

The problem with politicians is they would rather blow our money to stick a finger up at the opposition, rather than deal with the issues.... The last budget was an example, tax cuts to appease the Lib Dems when the real issue should have been to continue cutting the deficit.

As said before, yea who casts the first stone...

ricardian
22nd Apr 2012, 20:40
Someone has started a petition (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ipetitions.com%2Fpetition%2Fsave-the-shetland-coastguards-pilots-job%2F%3Futm_medium%3Dsocial%26utm_source%3Dfacebook%26utm_c ampaign%3Dbutton&h=VAQHqeQaHAQFUMFAA1KcCAJzOAd4mqYcgDHAzuJrhD-f0Nw)

Kengineer-130
22nd Apr 2012, 21:56
Disgraceful, what has happened to common sense? I would hope his colleagues would have a sudden aversion to flying until he gets fully reinstated.... Zero SAR cover would soon make them see sense! But the crews would not do that as they no doubt would prefer to be out saving lives!

What has happened to leadership where the press would swiftly be told to foxtrot Oscar in the nicest possible way?:ugh:

grimfixer
23rd Apr 2012, 11:44
Standfast the comment from the oxygen thief going by the Proone callsign, it is refreshing to see the support for the guys currently in the spotlight for this "appalling" waste of public money. Spread the message fellas and see if it actually does make a difference (might only be a moral support one but who knows). Have a look at the petition link above if you have a minute too.

PS. Anyone know the latest on the witchhunt?

:D

salad-dodger
23rd Apr 2012, 12:18
Have a look at the petition link above if you have a minute too.
Have to join facebook to do that :=

S-D

SRENNAPS
23rd Apr 2012, 12:27
This is the latest on BBC Orkney news:

BBC - BBC Radio Scotland Programmes - Radio Orkney News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioscotland/news/rs_orkney_bulletin/)

Petition also signed.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Apr 2012, 13:59
Signed the petition and listened to the clip.

What a great accent the Radio Orkney guy has :ok:

Wiretensioner
23rd Apr 2012, 14:59
Petition! Wouldn't waste my time on the guy.

Wiretensioner

ricardian
23rd Apr 2012, 16:58
What a great accent the Radio Orkney guy has
The Orcadian accent is usually very clear but the Northern Isles each have their own, unique accent which is sometimes tricky to decipher (especially if the person speaks quickly). We moved up here from England 8 years ago and now manage to understand most of what folk are saying

NutLoose
23rd Apr 2012, 17:14
Yup, signed

Fareastdriver
23rd Apr 2012, 19:12
Have to join facebook to do that

No you don't. Try this one.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...ds-pilots-job/

They will ask for a donation but forget that.

Pontius Navigator
26th Apr 2012, 08:20
Once flew washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, freezer out to Cyprus for a friend. Saved them buying new stuff, saved the MOD from paying storage fees etc etc.

Later one on our sqn had his stuff flown home on retirement. He then joined Cyprus Airways and asked boss if he could fly the stuff back - boss refused - but his mates flew it back anyway even with a bike strapped on the pannier.

While there was a marginal cost to the MOD the guy had given them 20 years and as a tax payer owned a bit of it anyway.

Bladdered
26th Apr 2012, 11:28
RAF fury over Prince William's £30,000 helicopter stunt in Kate Middleton's backyard | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-560880/RAF-fury-Prince-Williams-30-000-helicopter-stunt-Kate-Middletons-backyard.html)

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2012, 16:40
"No other pilot at Prince William's stage of training would be allowed anywhere near the left hand seat of Chinook," he said.

So would the right hand seat have been ok?

btw - one problem with being CAS is there's nobody above you to tell you get a decent haircut - or is that a syrup? ;)

Pontius Navigator
26th Apr 2012, 17:38
TTN, oh but there is.

There is the CASWO who is a scuffer as well and he is surely to top man.

1.3VStall
26th Apr 2012, 19:46
Many, many moons ago I was the Unit Movements Officer (well I had done a week's course at Brize!) on a Lightning squadron (happy days!) in Germany.

We had an MPC (Missile Practice Camp) coming up at Valley (before the days of STCAAME) and a Belslow was scheduled to take across the GSE, spares and groundcrew (the latter on the Belslow's) stub deck - aka as the minstrel's gallery).

Our squadron clerk, an SAC, was posted to Valley about two weeks after our detachment and approached me to see if he could get some of his kit flown over on the Belslow. As I was responsible for generating the manifests I told him that there wasn't a problem. Accordingly, his motorbike was listed as a "transporter, two wheeled". The washing machine was a "water unit" and the tumble dryer was described as a "dehumidifier", etc etc. His personal kit was all duly loaded on the Belslow by the movers and we made an uneventful transit to Valley for a successful detachment.

No doubt today's fun detectors would decry such an action as a gross waste of taxpayers' money. Well I suppose a bit of extra Avtur was burnt transporting the guy's kit across the North Sea. But who can put a price on the morale factor of the lad that had been looked after by his Service?

I'll stop now before I start giving details of Lightning T-bird training flights that just happened to deliver people back from Germany to the UK for the weekend to go to parties/weddings/see the bird etc! Couldn't possible have been me...............!

ShyTorque
27th Apr 2012, 09:08
Some people did take the you-know-what, though.

I was once tasked to fly a Puma back to UK for an exercise. The sqn received a request from an army officer for "a few pieces of his kit" to be flown back to UK. This was agreed, without my knowledge as captain. First thing I knew about it was a 4 ton truck on dispersal, jam-packed with his household goods! Idiot obviously thought we were going to move almost his whole household for him. We only had room for a few boxes and a comfy swivel chair. The crewman sat in the chair all the way over the Channel and wanted to keep it as an aircraft mod. The rest of the furniture was sent back to Bielefeld, from whence it came.

Jayand
27th Apr 2012, 14:49
Knew a chap who was refused the cost of civi air travel to return to uk on sick leave (broken leg) and instead had to get bus, ferry, and several trains.
The same weekend two tonka's from the same Sqn went to lillehammer on a jolly so the crews could watch the winter olympics closing ceremony!

tyne
27th Apr 2012, 15:33
As a member of the press with no business being here, may I politely knock on the wardroom/mess door and make a comment.

In all the years as a civvy working with the military, I would just like to say thanks.

To the several Bae146 crews who flew me and others round, but who made special trips for me,

To the 202 squadron gents who took me over my parents house so I could wave at my mum.

To the numerous 771 cabs and their people who showed me a lot of the West Scottish coast, and bits of Cornwall.

849 B flight, for more or less lending me the cab for some eye in the sky reporting.

To the Sea King lads (815) who took me along for a ride to get mail, single malt and cheese.

To the two guys who made me swear to secrecy after that SIMPRESS transfer that took most of a day and may have resulted in damage to the cab.

To the 814 guys who dropped me off near my home to save me a train fare.

All done in the name of training. And why not. Hard working people who might just benefit from a confined landing (in an MPA car park) as a bit of training, and if it allowed me a quicker walk to the bar to set some beers up, well that's good.

People are too quick to judge the services. You are prepared to stand up and take a bullet for Mr and Mrs Civvy. If you want to use your cab now and then for a bit of fun, it is a small price to pay.

I shall leave the Wardroom/mess now as I fear I owe some posters on here a LOT of beer.

Dan

chopabeefer
27th Apr 2012, 17:45
Dan,

I have had the great misfortune to have been interviewed a few times, after various job's etc when on SAR. On EVERY occasion I was misquoted, and on 2, blatant lies were told about things I had apparently said. I hate journalists. I put them on a par with kiddie fiddlers. I think they are inherently unable to tell the truth.

You, Dan, may have reinstated some faith in me. What a wonderful post. Good on you Sir.

BEagle
27th Apr 2012, 19:05
I hate journalists....

Well, regrettably I no longer trust them. A well-known PPRuNe journo asked to borrow some 35mm slides of mine for a specific story and I agreed, stressing that they were utterly irreplaceable.

Despite numerous requests for their return, I still haven't received them.

Jackonicko, precisely when do you intend to return my slides? Or do I put the word around the bazaars......?

Your decision...:mad:

NutLoose
27th Apr 2012, 19:09
That sucks :(

tyne
27th Apr 2012, 20:37
I totally understand your mistrust. I was interviewed about something the other day and was misquoted. Also despite s p e l l i n g my name out (I have an unusual last name) the ****ers got it wrong online. Not impressed at all.

A TV company made a documentary about me and my workmates. It wasn't bad, but it gave a very odd impression of how I did my job. They also failed to tell me there would be a very critical commentary by a "Journalism Expert" Nothing worse than being misquoted by some dreary not good at their job hack. You should have media ops people to stamp on stuff like that. If you want some basic tips on keeping a journo straight, I will happily drop you a PM.

As for us being as bad as paedos. Well that is a bit much. Just like saying that because some soldiers committed war crimes in Iraq, that every member of the military is a murderer. Through my job, I have had the misfortune to meet the odd paedo. Believe me, if you meet one you use that term with grest care. I could not think of a worse thing to call someone.

But I really do get the mistrust of the media. The recent TV show about Ark Royal was shocking. Utter drivel with hosts of errors, sloppy script writing and simply wrong facts. That show sensationalised non events, got things wrong and IMO let ARK R, her boys and girls and her airgroup down.

Al-bert
28th Apr 2012, 10:50
I have a feeling that I must know you Chopabeefer - I never did anything like that either, probably at the same time as you weren't!
;)