PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Turkey

N707ZS
19th Apr 2012, 14:08
Just wondered why holiday flights to Turkey are not as popular.

Tableview
19th Apr 2012, 14:16
.... not as popular.

Not as popular as what? Trips to Mars, coach outings to Butlins at Clacton, safaris in the Okavango Delta?

I think you need to qualify this if you expect to get meaningful answers.

Travel Agent
19th Apr 2012, 14:17
We are actually selling more Turkey this year than we have for a long while, however it is for the higher end properties. The problem for many customers now is that it is much more expensive to get to than it was in the days of Goldtrail and Holidays 4U. They tended to "pile em high sell em cheap!".

As we well know both companies found it was not sustainable, H4U were much better run than Goldtrail but suffered thanks to Thomas Cook last year reducing capacity in Tunisia and Egypt and moving it to Turkey.

munster
19th Apr 2012, 14:58
It can be quite dry meat. But still nice at christmas with plenty of wine!

taffyhammer
19th Apr 2012, 15:29
Curried from boxing day:ok:

mikkie4
19th Apr 2012, 15:49
still eating the dam thing at easter !!!!!

macdo
19th Apr 2012, 20:08
....always gives me the runs!!:uhoh:

Capt Scribble
19th Apr 2012, 21:00
As ever, when a place becomes popular the prices go up. The Turkish lira will no doubt be strong against the £, and its a long way to go, so fuel price is a factor. If only Greece would crash out of the Euro, we could all go back there and have a greek salad and wine for a fiver and it would solve everyone's problems!

N707ZS
19th Apr 2012, 21:15
Thanks Travel Agent.

johnnychips
19th Apr 2012, 23:35
I'm sure there was something in the Daily Mirror last morning that said that tourists' expenses while on holiday in Turkey had risen considerably over the past two years, and that was putting people off. The only place where the costs hadn't risen was Spain, while Italy had the highest increase.

canberra97
20th Apr 2012, 02:40
After visiting 92 countries, 583 destinations and traveling round the world 4 times I can honestly say my experience of a holiday in Bodrum Turkey has put me off from ever visiting that country again although I would love to visit Istanbul some time as it is one of the worlds major citys I have not been too.

Turkey is a beautifull country thats for sure but customer service and the communcication skills of of some Turks has alot to be desired compared with the likes of Tunisia or even Morocco, I find them very overbearing and not that helpfull so perhaps thats another reeason for the decline in IT bookings for Turkey!

Cheezi1
20th Apr 2012, 02:43
Went to Incirlik once, but never got out of the plane. It looked nice from the air, though.

Tableview
20th Apr 2012, 06:53
After visiting 92 countries, 583 destinations .............. but customer service and the communcication skills of of some Turks has alot to be desired compared with the likes of Tunisia or even Morocco, I find them very overbearing and not that helpfull so perhaps thats another reeason for the decline in IT bookings for Turkey!

My experience has been quite the opposite, after 5 or 6 trips to Turkey for both business and leisure. I find the people helpful and friendly without being obtrusive, reasonable to deal with, and the standard of service even in modest establishments to be very high.

Morocco on other hand is a place I never wish to set foot in again due to the persistent harrassment one has to endure, and the poor standards of service. Tunisia is somewhere in between the two, but I would go to Turkey on holiday in preference to many other countries, certainly above Greece, Morocco, France, Egypt, Mexico and most places in the Caribbean.

Aero Mad
20th Apr 2012, 09:21
It gets worse...

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/483156-wings-abroad-suspends-all-uk-ops.html