PDA

View Full Version : Add a rating now or wait?

felixflyer
19th Apr 2012, 12:52
Hi

I have recently passed my MEP rating test. I need to apply for it to be added and pay the £89.

I was just wondering whether I will be expected to pay them to change my JAR FCL PPL to EASA soon? I take it there will be a cost involved for this? Will I be better waiting and getting it done at the same time? Will that save me a few flying/beer tokens?

Regards

BackPacker
19th Apr 2012, 12:57
I was just wondering whether I will be expected to pay them to change my JAR FCL PPL to EASA soon?

As far as I understand, no.

Your JAR-FCL PPL will remain as-is, with no need to exchange it, until the normal five-year period is up. You then renew it as usual, only what you'll get in the mail is an EASA PPL. And you'll need to pay the usual charge for this.

You are still bound by EASA rules though, even though it still says JAR-FCL on the booklet.

So it all depends on when your PPL is due for renewal whether it makes sense to wait. And, of course, you can always renew your PPL ahead of time.

(The good news is that EASA PPLs are lifetime PPLs, so no need to renew them every five years.)

felixflyer
19th Apr 2012, 13:02
Thanks for that, I will post the application off then. I just renewed my PPL last year.

Regards

Whopity
19th Apr 2012, 13:09
Look at it another way, if you apply after 30 Jun, they will have to issue you with a new lifetime EASA licence because it will not be possible to add a rating to a JAA licence after that date. I am not sure what they will charge for the licence if your existing one has validity remaining, but what is certain is that when you reach the 5 year point of your JAA licence you will have to pay an issue fee for a new EASA licence.

felixflyer
19th Apr 2012, 13:44
Anyone know the time limit for apply for an MEP rating from the test date?

Whopity
19th Apr 2012, 13:55
Until it expires, 12 months after the test!

peterh337
19th Apr 2012, 15:09
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there was an obscure scenario where applying for a JAR license before EASA comes along saves you a few hundred quid.

I think it was something to do with carrying through a high performance aircraft (HPA?) endorsement or something like that...

maxred
19th Apr 2012, 15:54
Well I called Gatwick yesterday, because frankly, I was getting slightly confused by everything I read, on every forum, and everyone's take on it.

The advice, from them, in my OWN case, which may be very different from others, is go JAR, prior to July, 5 years, then EASA conversion.

And yes it appears that I can save some cash by doing it this way, although that is not the prime motivator for me.

Keeping legal, if possible,is.:rolleyes: