PDA

View Full Version : Which Australian ATPL Subject to study first?

GordoPA44
19th Apr 2012, 11:59
Hey guys, Finished my CPL studies and now is the last little bit to get the ATPL's out of the way. I was wondering if any of the stubjects are covered in other books IE which one to study first. I was thinking Aero+ Systems?

Tinstaafl
19th Apr 2012, 12:10
With a slight proviso, whichever similar CPL topic(s) you found the most difficult. This presumes there's a time limit on exam validity - either to complete all exams or for a single exam to lapse.

PPRuNeUser0163
19th Apr 2012, 23:18
I would personally suggest easing in to the ATPL's..

Finished mine around 6-12 months ago, and I found that although some subjects have similarities to CPL subjects they are a WHOLE different ballgame.

Alot of subjects are inter-related, for example learning performance and loading on the 727 will help with flight planning as it will with navigation. Human Factors for one is not related to any other subjects.

Flight Planning requires the most amount of time, it is just a case of practice makes perfect. A person who says they studied it in a day and passed is either modern day Einstein or probably having you on.

Aerodynamics/Aircraft Systems is a laborious subject, and to be fair the only reason its the second hardest ATPL is a. because of the sheer amount of content involved as well as the ridiculous questioning tactics/abilities that CASA/ASL employ. Here you can have studied everything and know it all and still fail due to the inability to decipher stupidly worded questions.

Air Law is just a case of knowing where things are- not too hard at all.

Meteorology- is not too hard an exam either. Content is quite brief and its similar in a way to CPL stuff. Just make sure you have a good grappel of basic stuff like reading sigmets/charts/arfors/tafs etc.

Order I did mine in was :
1. Human Factors
2. Aerodynamics/Aircraft Systems
3. Meteorology
4. Flight Planning
5. Performance/Loading
6. Air Law
7. Navigation

Hope that helps!

Feel free to pm me for any further questions

MajorCorporalArse
20th Apr 2012, 09:24
Cheers for an actualy detailed response, I'm currently doing my CPL's now so will be looking into this one day next year (hopefully early next year 2013)

Cheers
MCA

Advs
21st Apr 2012, 13:48
1) Human Factors
2) Systems
3) Met
4) Air Law
5) Nav
6) Flight Planning
7) Perf

GordoPA44
21st Apr 2012, 15:06
Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I might take it slowly and not jump the gun. Will try to get met out of the way in a week or so then human factors and leave the harder ones a little later so if there are any problems I can sort it out knowing I don't have another 7 subjects to go :)