PDA

View Full Version : "Bush" flying

tinpis
18th Apr 2012, 22:25
Seems to me theres a bit more than meets the eye "bush flying" up here. :hmm:

Pilot injured in remote plane crash | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2012/04/18/299541_ntnews.html)

AussieNick
18th Apr 2012, 22:28
I wish they'd stop interviewing people e.g police who have no idea what's happened apart from the obvious plane accident.

tinpis
18th Apr 2012, 22:52
You mean put something in the NT chip wrapper that made sense?http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/laughpound.gif

VH-XXX
18th Apr 2012, 23:26
What exactly are you referring to?

Sounds like it bounced or was a botched landing of sorts. Fairly descriptive really.

Jabawocky
18th Apr 2012, 23:46
One day the world will run out of 210's

That day just got closer.........or ya reckon it will just buff out? :E

Insurance company value Vs repairs .......... Do you think this will make it?

The wings look OK from the photo but the fuse has some wrinkles all teh way down.:sad:

AussieNick
18th Apr 2012, 23:50
The paper has a photo from the other side, she looks pretty bent up along the fuselarge.

XXX: until 5 mins ago i'd only seen the article on their website, the quote from the copper in there was pretty vague. The actual new article is a bit clearer.

rep
19th Apr 2012, 00:10
Hope both the pilots are ok! :uhoh:

Horatio Leafblower
19th Apr 2012, 01:13
I think the cause of this one is pretty clear:

"It was very windy conditions so the plane rose up and tried to land and rose up again before coming off the airstrip," police said.

The problem here is that the way to the airstrip is usually DOWN. :ooh:

XanaduX
19th Apr 2012, 01:41
Was it a one way strip preventing them from going around?

AussieNick
19th Apr 2012, 02:14
Nope. Its a nice, Sealed, Flat airstrip.

TriMedGroup
19th Apr 2012, 03:24
Where are the wheels??

Aimpoint
19th Apr 2012, 03:44
I heard something about a failed throttle cable in recent days - this isn't the accident by any chance?

morno
19th Apr 2012, 05:07
And you know what the most depressing thing about that accident is.....?

That aircraft had only not long come out of a major rebuild that took years!

morno

tinpis
19th Apr 2012, 05:13
That would drive one to Mitchell street

PLovett
19th Apr 2012, 07:28
Nyirripi..............sealed! :eek: Wonders will never cease. :}

Seems to be a suggestion in the news report that a willy-willy got hold of it.....................mmmmm. :suspect: From my distant memories of the place, it could get wind-shear but possibly, and more likely, too high an approach speed.

I used to see it a lot with newbies (there were 2 in the aircraft doing a mail run - usually a sign that someone was being inducted to the company) in the Territory as they came to grips with the 210. It was usually marked with a long hold-off over the runway, usually peppered with various height excursions as they over-controlled the flair. :uhoh: In some cases they narrowly avoided something far worse than embarrassment. :uhoh:

Anyway, I hope the pilot does not have spinal injuries and recovers quickly. :ok:

Desert Flower
19th Apr 2012, 07:32
Where are the wheels??

Was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that couldn't see 'em!

DF.

Stationair8
19th Apr 2012, 08:21
I saw a C210 in the flare at Cooinda get mixed up with a willy-willy, nasty wing drop and finished up at 90 degrees to the strip, a level headed pilot a handful of power and rudder a bit of luck, six people walked away and no damage to the aircraft.

VH-XXX
19th Apr 2012, 09:04
It doesn't even take a Willy Willy. An Airvan got blown over recently by a rogue gust of wind heading a front.

that guy
19th Apr 2012, 12:11
On a related note:

Investigation: AO-2012-051 - Windshear event - Cessna 310, VH-JOF, Marlgawo, NT, 12 April 2012 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2012/aair/ao-2012-051.aspx)

Didn't hear about this one in the news!!

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Apr 2012, 13:10
A couple of years ago I flew through a willy-willy at about 100' on short final to a dirt strip on Cape York in the V-tail - got rolled through 90 degrees.

A fraction of a second before it happened, I saw a whisp of dust blow up from the threshold of the strip, so when it hit I knew what it was. A BIG burst of power and some wheel and rudder work had us quickly right way up again, but it did get the adrenaline flowing.

Certainly got my pax attention!

Was not too long after the prang of a C172 with fatalities in WA in similar circumstances.

Take care out there!

Dr :8

metalman2
19th Apr 2012, 20:00
I flew into a willy willy at around 300 agl on final a few years back, nearly flipped the plane on its back lost 200 ft recovering , closest I've come to making a hole in the ground. Felt Ike I'd flown into a washing machine!

airaholic
19th Apr 2012, 21:29
They do tend to get you attention fairly quickly. Have had a Fletcher 90deg coming into land on an ag strip. luckily plenty of power helps unlike a Fletcher rudder

lilflyboy262...2
19th Apr 2012, 21:45
Ok, so I cant see the wheels, but I also can't see the nice sealed runway either.... just where did this plane end up?!

Jabawocky
19th Apr 2012, 22:08
In the bush;)

Thread about bush flying it is:ok:

morno
19th Apr 2012, 23:28
I wonder if PT is going to have another go at fixing her up?

spamcan88
20th Apr 2012, 01:30
Light Plane Crash - Nyrippi | NTPFES (http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Media-Centre/Media-releases/2012/April/18/Light-Plane-Crash-Nyrippi.aspx)

Aimpoint
20th Apr 2012, 01:48
Ok, back to my question on the last page about an aircraft in the NT that had a throttle cable break after a go-around - is this the plane in question? Makes a bit more sense if it is...

TOUCH-AND-GO
20th Apr 2012, 07:06
http://i39.tinypic.com/jsdaw3.jpg

By any chance related to this :confused:

morno
20th Apr 2012, 07:07
I dare say that was related to the Jetstar incident in Singapore where the Captain was fiddling with his phone and the aircraft ended up going around after the gear was forgotten.

Where's the photo of the man with 3 arms though? Wasn't you was it Tinny?

morno

TOUCH-AND-GO
20th Apr 2012, 07:10
Texting Pilot Nearly Caused Jet to Crash - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/texting-pilot-nearly-caused-jet-to-crash/)

VH-XXX
20th Apr 2012, 07:15
Maybe this guy would have been better at flying a 210. One on the yoke, one on the throttle and one on the gear lever.

http://pictures.deadlycomputer.com/d/31130-1/3arm.jpg

Same, this guy has 3 arms, it's quite catchy...!

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/04/20/1226334/063100-target-store-catalogue.jpg

stevep64
20th Apr 2012, 07:23
I can imagine that guy saying, "I'm so busy I don't have time to scratch myself", and the responses (and bruises) afterwards.

Seriously though, that'd be really handy.

Aimpoint
20th Apr 2012, 22:23
In the photo, the gear looks retracted (unless the resolution on my screen isn't good enough). I don't believe NT News eye witness reports. I have it on good authority a 210 in the territory had a throttle cable snap in the last week, resulting in a landing upwind of the strip. Put it all together and hence my question.

The Wawa Zone
21st Apr 2012, 03:59
The engine and tail have sagged downwards and this is pretty much the standard 210 "stopped flying at 50' AGL" picture, when the thing hits the ground with not much forward speed. This is what you get when a 210 is allowed to float, or balloons up out of ground effect - it stops flying with a big bang !

A dust devil in the Centre will start off quick; all you'll see is a bit of dust flicking sideways and the bushes moving, then the vertical core builds up fast, so if you're landing on top of one you won't get much notice.
The only way to land a 210 is nail constant airspeed + constant aimpoint, but there won't be much of that if you're in a dust devil at 50' !

In the front right NTPFES photo you can see a bit of nose gear door, and partially extended left main crushed backwards into the gear well in the left side photo.
For this to happen, the gear would probably have been in transit when it hit; if it was locked forward then the mains would have been splayed up and out near the doors. It looks like the go-round was on.
The two blade tips are pushed back and not scuffed so it looks like idle power on impact. The bottom blade tip (foward of cowl vent) looks the same, so at least the got the power off before they hit.

Don't worry about Bush Mechanics - he's the one who'll have to fix the thing :)

Least it wasn't flying on Jet A1 like the other one ...http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_clap.gif

Fantome
21st Apr 2012, 04:56
Maybe this guy would have been better at flying a 210. One on the yoke, one on the throttle and one on the gear lever.

Maybe he's another Darryl . . . as in "get your hand off it Darryl."

VAGUELY RELATED - An old Bass Strait Heron driver called Nigel

once waited for a long-winded jerk to cease his Tx, whereupon says Nigel - "Change hands Darryl . .. . change hands ."

Now BUSH FLYING, where's Bushy when you want his expert opinion opined? Not down the Stuart Arms surely?

In '86 Fantome, in a hired C210 (VH-POO) stuck his silly neck out landing at sun down at Elizabeth Downs in the Kimberleys. What he didn't know that this was OLD Elizabeth Downs, but still marked with magenta circle on the current WAC. The NEW Elizabeth Downs, miles away, had not yet rated any reference on the friggin'chart. (And when he'd called the folk there from Broome earlier in the day they'd said not a word about relocation . .. just "Our strip's fine .. Flying Doctor in yesterday."

Still, despite the long grass (no, you don't need to know how long)
the party of 2 adults and 3 kids spent a memorable night in the near derelict homestead. "We of the Never Never' should have been the bedtime reading.

Fuelling at Kunnunurra next morning the fueller took one look at some long stalks of 'tell-tale' round the gear and said knowingly " Ahhh . .. I can see where you lot have been."