PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a place @ OAA!!

IRISHHOPEFUL
18th Apr 2012, 21:54
Hi ALL,

Ok, here is my Question. I live in Ireland and have been researching Oxford AA for a long while now. I got the brochure, read the forums (Some good and bad) and now I'm ready to apply. Problem is I'm now 23 and 6 years ago when I did my Leaving Cert (GCSE Equivalent) I did not bother my ass to worry about grades etc, I then went back and repeated my maths in 2009 and gained a C, I never took any Science subjects in school and there lies the question. Is my application going to be posted back to me as soon as it lands on the desk.. I am in the somewhat enviable position of having the money in place but lacking the so called education.., I'm by no means a genius but if i do undergo an ATPL with OAA I will be doing everything in my power to pass first time. So am I doomed before I begin or should I just apply anyway.. All response appreciated.

G-HALE
18th Apr 2012, 22:11
Ah You will be sound. Sure half the paddys flying only have a junior cert.
Dont be worrying. Your main concern is can you finance the course ?
Modular is way cheaper man! Half the price!!
Oxford is awful dear in fairness but if you have the cash then its your choice where you spend it.
Goodluck boss

IRISHHOPEFUL
18th Apr 2012, 22:17
Thanks GHale

From research everyone say's that OAA's brochure has a way of getting inside your mind and making u feel very special!!!:) Well it's one thing having the funding but when u write that cheque u no longer have it:\ So I'll send my application anyway and see how it goes but I'm going to visit CTC as well. Thanks for the quick reply!!

clkorm3
18th Apr 2012, 23:00
I would recommend bcft. Give them a shout. But whatever decision you make I can not stress enough to my friends who are in similar position to you that ask the realvant questions and see how organised they are. Try ask for feedback from current and previous students. OAA just know how to make money and would deliver the promise if your on the integrated course but if you decide to go modular with them, just look at some post on here. You'll see unhappy customers which put me off them as I wanted be treated the same despite being modular. I'd recommend modular to you. You'll get there in same time as them if you have the funds available And it's cheaper.

IRISHHOPEFUL
19th Apr 2012, 00:03
Thanks for that, I just checked their website.. They look really good. I will do some more research!

pudoc
19th Apr 2012, 00:12
Stapleford or BCFT. Generally, most who go integrated CTC end up at easyJet and most who go modular or integrated OAA end up at Ryanair. No reason at all to go integrated, in my opinion. Exceptions apply to cadet schemes, rare interest from other airlines and a lucky few.

*Don't want to start an int v modular debate so I won't reply to anyone that wants to start one. It's just my opinion.

jez d
19th Apr 2012, 10:36
IH, if you've got the time to spare, recommend you attend the Professional Flight Training Exhibition at the Sofitel, Heathrow Terminal 5 on Saturday 28 April.

2012 LONDON PROFESSIONAL FLIGHT TRAINING EXHIBITION (http://exhibitions.flyer.co.uk/london_28_apr_2012.htm)

All of the schools mentioned above will be attending, plus a plethora of others who are equally worthy of investigation.

SkylaA319
19th Apr 2012, 10:41
I got a D in maths, B in science and it didnt effect my training at all which was great because i was scared it would do :ok: You could always redo your exams.

SkylaA319
19th Apr 2012, 10:42
This sounds really good, thanks for posting about it :)

jez d
19th Apr 2012, 11:12
Pay for a GAPAN aptitude test and don't waste your money if you don't have the aptitude.

GAPAN will also be attending the show.

CelticRambler
19th Apr 2012, 11:33
IrishH, the Leaving Cert is A-level equivalent - it was your Inter/Junior Cert that was GCSE-equiv and you might have some science qualifications from that.:8

Flaymy
19th Apr 2012, 14:06
There is GCSE-level (age 16 exams for the UK) maths and science, one tiny bit of more advanced maths. It should all be covered in the training, very few people have problems with this.

Like the others I would not waste the money at Oxford. If you really want to monitor computers at 35,000 feet for a bunch of rowdy drunks (the passengers, not Monarch ops, although in my experience that might also be the case) then use the money you save at CTC or similar; if you want to do some real flying instead an integrated course will not equip you well.

Do a modular course, do it at a school that only does modular so you are not given low priority. I would suggest Bournemouth if only because it is easy to get to from Ireland. Stapleford isn't bad for that either, or Exeter if there is still training there, but Oxford has to be a right pain.

IRISHHOPEFUL
19th Apr 2012, 17:19
Thanks guys.. I really am more of an eejit than I thought!!!:ugh: I was basing it on O Levels as opposed to GCSE.. And I got straight B's in that.. All be it when I wasn't such a lazy :mad: I'm goin to head over to that seminar on 28th April. I think a lot of us make the mistake of begging a school to take our 100K rather than letting them sell their school to us.. By the look of things that seminar should do just that..

G-HALE
19th Apr 2012, 22:04
Do a PPL first!