PDA

View Full Version : Airline industry, which are the most respected awards?

Sober Lark
17th Apr 2012, 11:18
I recently travelled with one of ‘The Worlds Best Airlines’ but I suspect the luggage in the hold had a better experience.

In the airline industry, which are the most respected awards and are the awards really independent?

strake
17th Apr 2012, 12:07
which are the most respected awards

I don't know the detail behind aviation awards but I presume they are like most industry awards and taking a wild stab in the dark, probably run by media organisations who make money out of advertising from - hmmm, let me think......ah yes - the winners and runners up :)

The only flying awards I respected were:
1. Virgin Miles
2. BA Miles
3. Flying blue miles

PAXboy
17th Apr 2012, 13:59
[snicker] Very good strake. As far as I know, all the 'awards' are either industry or 'voted by you the travelling public'. Which means you have no idea who is doing the voting nor what their criteria are. Likewise, any award dealing with airports. Just like the Oscars. :}

Even the Nobel c'ttees make strange decisions - like the Peace prize to Obama in 2009? :hmm:

ConstantFlyer
17th Apr 2012, 17:47
I'd like to see an award for Best Airport Security. Might encourage some airports to improve the experience for passengers and crews..... Oh well, perhaps not. How about Least Worst Airport Security then?

Some others I'd like to see might include:

- Airport Terminal Least Like a Glorified Shopping Centre
- Best Value for Money Airport Taxi Drivers
- Best View from an Airport Viewing Terrace
and (shock horror)
- Best Airline Customer Service

TightSlot
17th Apr 2012, 18:06
Within the industry the ATW Awards (http://atwonline.com/events/atw-38th-annual-airline-industry-achievement-awards-2012) are generally accepted as being the "Oscars": I can accept that this may not reflect the passenger experience.

ExXB
17th Apr 2012, 18:53
I agree TightSlot.

However they did give an 'honorary' award last year to the ex-DG of IATA. I suspect that had more to do with advertising revenues, than the view of the industry.

Other than that they do a thoughtful and educated analysis in all their categories.

Tableview
17th Apr 2012, 19:00
It's tempting to say they're all a bit of a farce, but based on my own experiences, it seems that SQ and EY fairly consistently win various awards, and EZY for best LCC, and I think these are deserved. I do find some of the runners-up questionable though, and I remember that some years ago Cubana got one - which was for the 'most improved' carrier, which from a pretty low base may have been deserved.

PAXboy
17th Apr 2012, 21:19
Air Transport Awards ATW Awards | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/atw-awards)

ATW Airline Industry Achievement Awards, is the longest running and most respected airline industry awards event. These awards go to airlines that have distinguished themselves through outstanding performance, innovation, and service.
These are the current set of winners: ATW 38th Annual Airline Industry Achievement Awards 2012 | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/events/atw-38th-annual-airline-industry-achievement-awards-2012)

Tableview
18th Apr 2012, 02:15
Quite by chance, came across this in the Sydney Morning Herald

After nine "fatal events" since 1970, culminating in the 2007 Yogyakarta crash that killed 21 and injured many more, Indonesia's national carrier has refreshed its fleet and is now compliant with best-practice maintenance and safety standards. Garuda Indonesia has also overhauled its inflight service in a bid to become one of the best airlines in the world.
It must be doing something right - the carrier has come up as best international airline for January 2012 in a recent Roy Morgan survey of airlines.

Sober Lark
19th Apr 2012, 06:39
Tableview your post really says it all. Award for best inflight meal on the way down.

Thanks everyone.

The SSK
19th Apr 2012, 08:45
Last week USA Today published a list of ‘The 10 best airlines you’ve never flown’.

The 10 best airlines you've never flown - USATODAY.com (http://travel.usatoday.com/deals/inside/story/2012-04-12/The-10-best-airlines-youve-never-flown/54178736/1)

A curious mixture
1. Alaska
2. Porter
3. Allegiant
4. Turkish
5. LAN
6. Virgin Oz
7. CityJet
8. Icelandair
9. EVA
10. Asiana

SeenItAll
19th Apr 2012, 21:38
Having flown with a few of USAToday's gems, let me offer some comments.

Allegiant: Cheap, but makes FR's business practices look customer-friendly. Has hardly any planes so if something goes wrong (and it did for my mother's flight), you are SOL for at least a day.

Turkish: Food is good, aircraft quality and quality of CC is very variable. Also, they like to change their schedules even up to within 2 weeks of the flight date.

LAN: Quite reasonable. Nothing flashy, but competent.

P.S. There's a reason why USAToday is called McPaper -- you ain't reading the New York Times.

Ancient Observer
20th Apr 2012, 16:29
Reliable Airline Awards?

None. Not one. Zero. de nada.

All "Awards" are spin things, arranged by PR folk and attended by spinners, with, every now and then, a real member of staff attending. The PR darlings do need, sometimes, a reason for drinking so much bubbly.

bedsted
20th Apr 2012, 22:01
Who has the most uncomfortable seats in economy?

My award goes to Air France. Unbelievably hard in their 777s

TightSlot
21st Apr 2012, 08:23
with, every now and then, a real member of staff attending.
I attended a rather big one, representing Europe for my company. There seemed to be quite a few staff from other airlines also attending: Does this mean that other awards would have had none at all since the allocation had been, so to speak, used up?

ZFT
21st Apr 2012, 10:34
Bedsted,

Who has the most uncomfortable seats in economy?

My award goes to Air France. Unbelievably hard in their 777s Have you NEVER flown American Airlines?

Andratx
21st Apr 2012, 15:07
Luton has my vote for the least worst airport security, out of the larger airports anyway. In a stroke of milking-the-public genius, it has a priority lane that you can actually pay to go into to avoid the queue at the ordinary security lanes.

No long walks to any of the gates either.

Tableview
21st Apr 2012, 15:09
Luton is not alone in that dubious distinction. I believe in the UK it was initiated by Liverpool John Lennon airport, and recently copied at Bristol.

PAXboy
21st Apr 2012, 17:07
Thread drift.
No long walks to any of the gates either.Beg to differ, Andratx. The old gates with the low numbers are 15 minutes walk from the main shopping/gathering area. That's at regular speed, not if you are slower or have children in tow.

In fact, the current LLAOL development plans include this - and I quote directly from their website:
Reorganising the internal layout of the terminal building to create a more logical route through the building from check in, through security to passenger waiting lounges and then to the aircraft boarding gates.

Alsacienne
22nd Apr 2012, 14:37
No long walks to any of the gates either.

My experience at LCY leads me to suggest that the walk to Gate 1 for previous LX flights to Basel is adequate preparation for the London Marathon especially with generous hand baggage .... although the incoming walk to border control seems disproportionately short.

What are members' opinions of the trek to FR's gates at Stansted ... the 10 mins stated on the information boards seems somewhat optimistic. Oh sorry, you folk only use REAL airlines don't you!! :ok:

TightSlot
22nd Apr 2012, 15:08
Back on topic anybody?

Valarie C
22nd Apr 2012, 16:04
How about Skytrax Award ?? Does anyone think it is a reliable gauge about airline & it's service quality?:D

PAXboy
22nd Apr 2012, 16:17
Thinking about industry awards across the board/world, they are almost always from inside the industry. So, it might be judged, that all of them are unreliable?

In my day job there is a UK wide award - this is a corporate award for places of work, not for individuals so I am not eligible. However, being freelance, I do work at places that have entered for the award.

A few years ago, on of my regular ports of call won and they did deserve it. Some venues did not enter for the award but of all that did, these folks worked hard and got a real result. It is one that I relate to my clients to give them confidence. I only wish it were a compulsory entry - because the really cr@p venues don't enter!

So, some awards are better than none?
Those that have become devalued are KNOWN to be devalued - such as the Oscars.

strake
22nd Apr 2012, 19:45
Having given a slightly tongue-in-cheek response earlier, it would be interesting to know what crew might think of the various awards. Do airline employers encourage staff to aspire to them or are they something to just ignore on the basis that the majority of CC do they best they can anyway given all the trials and tribulations of the job?