PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Lynx, Sea King, and Apache training?

spusa
15th Apr 2012, 00:59
What are the differences between Lynx, Sea King, and Apache Helicopters training?
How many of the differences are because of the different roles they have within the military?
Which is harder to learn to fly or they pretty much as hard as each other the learn to fly?

griffothefog
15th Apr 2012, 04:29
Spusa,

I can answer part 3.

They are all easy to learn to fly. A monkey could learn to fly. Hence the baboon will never become an endangered species around these parts :ok:

Rigging Pin
15th Apr 2012, 08:55
Spot on :D

fly4cash-ride4fun
15th Apr 2012, 09:07
Spusa,

The helicopters mentioned are easy to learn to fly, as is each helicopter is easy to learn to fly after your initial helicopter training. The big difference is the role of the helicopter, and each person's ability to adapt to those roles. The Apache, for example, can be overwhelming, in not that it is difficult to fly, but because of the multitude of systems involved. Not to mention the knowledge the pilot must have of things outside the cockpit. Like tactics, vehicle and threat recognition, enemy weapon systems, etc. The same for the sea king, in a SAR role for example, there is a lot going on that must be managed by the pilot, all the while safely flying the helicopter.

spusa
21st Apr 2012, 23:04
Do they require different skills to fly those three helicopters?
What are reasons that different trainee pilots put on on versus the another?

MightyGem
22nd Apr 2012, 20:40
What are reasons that different trainee pilots put on on versus the another?
Requirements and suitability.

Take the RN. They fly Lynx and Sea King, not Apache. So a RN student will not get to fly the Apache. If, at the time, the RN are short of Sea King pilots, then most of the students will go to Sea King, and vice versa.

Of the three, the RAF only fly the Sea King, so RAF students don't get to fly the other two.

The Army fly the Lynx and the Apache. Again if more of one sort are required, that will be where students go, in general. Although they all fly the same in terms of using the cyclic/collective/pedals, the Apache is very demanding to use in it's role as an attack helicopter.

I was a Lynx QHI, but always felt that the Apache would have been beyond my intellectual capabilities.

Art of flight
23rd Apr 2012, 13:44
MG,

Far too modest! Having flown with you many times I know you would have walked the apache training. Just that it came too late for you.;)

handysnaks
23rd Apr 2012, 15:22
Sioux AH1 training was almost too late for MG.......