PDA

View Full Version : How do airline pilots turn precisely?

Fmfox
14th Apr 2012, 20:48
Hi there, I am very keen on being a pilot in the future and I have been wondering how when hand flying an airliner (or any plane for that matter) the pilot can turn the plane not the right amount of degrees but so that the plane is in exactly the right path for the flight and the turn was not too sharp or to wide, I know that they have a flight plan shown on their flight display but I am unsure as to how they can turn so precisely? Thanks for any answers. :)

sixtiesrelic
14th Apr 2012, 21:32
Experience!

Torque Tonight
14th Apr 2012, 21:58
Judgement, which comes from the above. (Except when using flight directors, where fitted)

750XL
15th Apr 2012, 03:37
Autopilot :E

de facto
16th Apr 2012, 09:27
Pure luck.:E
On a Boeing 737, a pilot flying manually will use his instruments(bank indicator) to make sure he banks (within his company limits of course:cool:)so that the aircraft level its wings on the correct heading.
We are taught when within 15 degrees of the new headiing to decrease the bank to make the manoeuvre smoother and avoid flying past the required heading.
Now,if pilots need to follow a specified track on the ground,he will easier use outside visual reference and /or information he gets on his navigation display.
We have a great tool in our aircraft, its called the snake.
As you turn,the white string(snake) is bending in the same direction and shows your predicted ground track position in the next 30,60 and 90secs based on your bank angle and ground speed.
Yes flying a jet is easier in some way and can be fun too:ok:
Enjoy your flying!

diddy1234
17th Apr 2012, 10:31
A few months ago I watched a sleezy jet turn onto finals going into Luton (26 end) and a strong gust of wind took it about a quarter of a mile to the left (of a right handed turn).

The aircraft was banked at the time performing the turn when the strong gust blew taking the aircraft further to the left.

I felt the gust about 20 seconds later and although not terrible it was quite strong.
With an aircraft banked already performing a turn this would certainly blow it off the planned centre line approach.

It lined up fine though and just required a quick flick of the tail once (on the beam !).

hvogt
18th Apr 2012, 18:16
When you are in flight school and have to navigate the hard way, i.e. without all the automation the others have mentioned, you have to estimate your turn radius which (in nautical miles) will be approximately 1/200 of your airspeed (in knots). So, when flying 250 knots your turn radius will be in the region of 250 / 100 / 2 = 1.25 nautical miles.

I love twins
18th Apr 2012, 18:53
A few months ago I watched a sleezy jet turn onto finals going into Luton (26 end) and a strong gust of wind took it about a quarter of a mile to the left (of a right handed turn).

The aircraft was banked at the time performing the turn when the strong gust blew taking the aircraft further to the left.

I felt the gust about 20 seconds later and although not terrible it was quite strong.
With an aircraft banked already performing a turn this would certainly blow it off the planned centre line approach.

It lined up fine though and just required a quick flick of the tail once (on the beam !).

The aircraft would usually be between 4000ft and 3000ft turning base at LTN. I'm sure you realise that the windspeed and direction can be very different at that altitude compared to what you are experiencing standing on the airfield.

The handling pilot would de-crab at a suitable point in the landing flare so that the aircraft is aligned with the runway centreline. He/she will then maintain the centreline until such time as they wish to vacate the runway. I'm assuming this is what you mean by "tail flick".

Oh and if the age in your profile is correct, then perhaps consider dropping the use of "sleezy jet". Not very clever.

Discorde
20th Apr 2012, 09:57
Hi Fmfox. This may be useful:

How Airliners Fly

It describes manual flight and autopilot procedures for airliners in layman's terms.

Mungo Man
25th Apr 2012, 10:21
It lined up fine though and just required a quick flick of the tail once (on the beam !). :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: