PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Flypast

Nibbler
14th Apr 2012, 14:24
Anyone have contact details for someone who operates a Spitfire that would be able to do a fly past of St Vincents in Grantham - home of Bomber Command?

A couple of short back seat flights would also be considered if the price is within reach..

The date is about 18 months away.

Oldpilot55
14th Apr 2012, 15:00
BBMF will do a flypast for you if you give them enough notice. You suggest in 18 months time so that would be sufficient. There is an administrative cost but it would be pretty small. Since Grantham is close to Conningsby where the BBMF is based then the likelihood of a flypast is greatly increased. The BBMF Lancaster might be more appropriate.

RAF BBMF - Contacts (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/contacts.cfm)

Grob Queen
14th Apr 2012, 15:34
Be aware though that BBMF's season runs May to Sept only (although the chippies and Dak do fly in the winter). They do not have any twin seat Spitfires but even if they did, the chances of getting a flight in one would be about zero.

The Boultbee Flight Academy currently based at Kidlington have a twin seat Spitfire - but before you get too excited, have a look at their website for prices...

Forgive me for also for saying so, but wouldn't a flypast from the Lanc be more fitting for Bomber Command ;)

abgd
14th Apr 2012, 17:31
Or even a p-51?

Grob Queen
14th Apr 2012, 19:30
Ahh, well, i'f you're going to go for the compromise option and have a fighter-bomber, ;) if you're prepared to wait a while and then speak nicely to the Kiwi's..they may let you have a flypast of their airworthy-to-be DH Mosquito! :)

Nibbler
14th Apr 2012, 20:02
Thanks for the BBMF link OldPilot55 - I agree with both you and Grob Queen the Lancaster would the best choice however after already visiting the BBMF website and a few others during my research, it seems unlikely the RAF will agree to a flypast for a 'just' a wedding. Fair enough, not being blue blood an all.

I think the hope was there and no harm in filling out the form but should someone know for example the Chief of the Air Staff....?

The reality of normality is I think a privately owned Spitfire. With that in mind thanks for the link Grob Queen I'll be checking those exceptionally well minted Spitfire operator chaps out first thing on Monday morning.

If anyone else wishes to chip in - from rumour to something a little firmer - please do.

kms901
14th Apr 2012, 21:48
The Grace Spitfire can be booked for this kind of thing.

The Grace Spitfire ML407 Website (http://www.ml407.co.uk/pages/index.html)

powerless
15th Apr 2012, 10:26
I found the BBMF very helpful and, as long as they can fit it in without any major detour, may be willing to help. They agreed when I requested a fly past for a gliding club open day at an ex bomber base.

The weather gods were against us but we got regular updates and when they finally had to abort the trip told us straight away so we could re-plan things.Give them a try.

Grob Queen
15th Apr 2012, 11:51
Nibbler,
Pm incoming.

GQ

aluminium persuader
15th Apr 2012, 13:09
If you want a full display and don't mind something from the other side of the iron curtain, Nigel Willson (http://yakdisplay.com) will be able to help. Not too expensive & great display.
I reckon he'd do a ride too, though not during the display!
ap:ok:

Nibbler
15th Apr 2012, 17:31
Quality feedback :ok:

I'll get her to give the BBMF a go, as they say you never know your luck.

The Yak - thanks for the link ap - a flight in one of those is very appealing and although I've met Nigel a few times over the last year I didn't realise he might be up for offering a flight in one. I must pop the question when I see him next!

PM replied, thanks GQ!

aluminium persuader
15th Apr 2012, 23:26
Can't say for sure either way, but nothing ventured etc!
I need to talk to him tomorrow so I'll mention this.

ap