PDA

View Full Version : Defuelling

Aussie Bob
14th Apr 2012, 10:13
Once upon a time there was a CAO detailing fueling and defueling, or so I thought. Now I can only find a CAO on fueling with very limited info on defueling, specifically defueling avgas.

Does anyone know:

Is defueling now considered a fueling operation or am I missing something in my regulations search? Under what circumstances can I remove quantities of fuel other than small samples from fuel tanks on an aircraft, say to meet weight and balance requirements?

startingout
14th Apr 2012, 11:11
I know in the states if you get pulled over by the EPA they can test the emission of your fuel to see if it is not from a legal source, same as they check to see if you have a crate motor or not in your car. As far as australia go, well doubt they have a way of checking...

If we are talking about de-fueling aircraft then it is a common occurrence of sorts and with some of the larger companies it is legal to put this fuel back into the aircraft but limitations apply.

NIK320
14th Apr 2012, 20:55
I suspect when the word fuelling is used, it refers to both operations.

CAO20.9 para 3.4A
For paragraph 4.3.4:
fuelling includes refuelling and defuelling.

Despite it being in reference to a paragraph about electrical bonding of equipment, it could be implied that words definition can be carried through to the rest of that order.

Aussie Bob
15th Apr 2012, 10:24
Thanks NIK,

Although I suspected this was the case I missed the fine print.

AB