PDA

View Full Version : Average time it takes to study for each PPL theory exam...

Qviator
13th Apr 2012, 18:35
How much time would you need to prepare for a PPL exam? I mean in days/weeks. I've set myself a target of starting my flight training in about 10 months from now, which leaves me with about 6 weeks per theory exam. Is that enough while im working full time?

I understand everybody has different learning techniques and time frames etc but i'm just looking for a generalisation, because I might be weeks off with my 6 weeks prediction...

Thanks!

XiRho
13th Apr 2012, 19:23
Would say that's more than enough time. I found a few days per exam sufficient, by reading through the relevant books and then doing practice questions out of the PPL confuser/ Perfecter etc.

Some take a bit more time than others. For me Met took a day or two extra to get my head round compared to the likes of RT or Human Factors

B737Dude
13th Apr 2012, 20:46
Remember the PPL is the foundation!! Spend time on all subjects specially HP,MET,NAV,Principles of flight and Airframe systems (BASICALLY ALL)!! Once the skills test is over and your flying on your own.. Its all the basics you learnt will keep you safe!! Take time and don't rush it!! :ok:

pudoc
13th Apr 2012, 23:32
Depends how much work you put in. I went from 0 hours to skill test ready in 6 weeks.

I'd have the mornings off, fly in the afternoon for a couple of hours and study from late afternoon to all evening.

It's important to take 1 complete day off a week as well, and I took 2 days off from flying and dedicated one of those to studies.

Don't buy the PPL Confuser either. Highly over rated.

clkorm3
22nd Apr 2012, 22:00
I worked full time and I completed my theory within 10 weeks. I targeted the major ones first and read the book once which took me about a week or just over for the big topics like AGK, NAV, MET, AIR LAW, and went on to confuser which helped me immensely and whilst it was fresh in my head I took the exam. It works and can be done if your willing to spend three hours each evening and full weekend. The small topics like comms, HP&L and mass and balance will probably take you about a week from when you start reading the book and finishing the exam.
Just dedicate any spare time towards your theory and once you complete them you will really enjoy the flying part bcos you would have one thing less to worry about.

good luck.

Obi_Wan
24th Apr 2012, 11:26
As other posts have stated, it depends on the individual. Personally, I feel 6 weeks per topic should be ample, even if you're working full time. It varies by topic, but one thing that will help you calibrate the depth of knowledge required will be getting hold of some past papers. It will help you understand not just the depth you need, but the way that the CAA word the questions.

DBo
24th Apr 2012, 14:18
Unless you're planning a very intensive (basically full-time) training course there's probably no need to get all (or any) of the exams before you start. If you're learning part-time (say 4 lessons / week or fewer) you can revise for each exam in a week or two and take them as you train. They make a lot more sense once the flying has started.

It's worth reading the "Flying Training" book before starting - or at the very least the bit you're going to do before each lesson, and try to get the air law exam done early in your training as many schools will not let you go solo until you have passed it.

Don't worry about the exams. They're not that hard....

Dave

Morris542
24th Apr 2012, 15:26
I was a university student and was able to crack all the exams out of the way in about 5 weeks. Some I had to spend more time on (AGK, NAV) and some I was able to study for and revise over a couple of days (HF, FP+P, RT). My Air Law and Met had expired because I completed them earlier in my training, however as I had already looked over the material, it was easier to absorb the second time around.

CharlieDeltaUK
24th Apr 2012, 18:11
I am a bit sceptical about about claims of completing exams in a short time. I don't doubt it's possible. I just question whether it's effective. I had my head in the books quite regularly over the whole period of my PPL and I immodestly consider myself pretty good at picking up new technical info from books. Some subjects are quick and easy and some more challenging. Of course, not every one finds the same exams easy. So don't expect all the exams to take the same period of time.

I found it necessary to get practical experience to give the theory some context.

There will be some topics you want to learn, rather than just pass. Hopefully, most of them.

turbulentmonkey
24th Apr 2012, 23:37
I took around 1 week for each exam, give or take a day or two, and I was studying for about 5 hours each day. I studied for them over the summer, during my break from university. I've never been able to skim over a book before answering a few questions and then be able to pass an exam.

It really depends if you like studying or not, and what the content is!

Personally, I don't like studying and I never have. I loved studying the PPL theory though! :8

Oh and after doing air law first (which is the logical choice) I'd say get your head in to the aircraft general. I did this last but wish I did it earlier. By actually knowing a little about the aircraft you fly, it will give you greater appreciation when doing power checks etc!

WE992
11th May 2012, 19:36
The time required realy depends on whether you want to retain the information for life or just long enougth to pass the exams. You could by the JAR confuser and learn the questions and answers and you certainly pass the exams very quickly however I doubt you would remeber the infornation much after you had taken the exams!

thing
11th May 2012, 21:09
I think it depends whether you are coming in completely cold or have some kind of background in aviation. I took a few days to clobber each one but then I'm a retired aircraft engineer. They're not hard, if you have an average amount of nounce then you will walk them. I found the nav exam the longest to do but it's probably the most involved one.

abgd
11th May 2012, 22:08
One of the nice things about AirQuiz - Online Practice Examinations for Pilots! (http://www.airquiz.com) is that it gives you long-term access so you can test yourself after you've passed the exams, and brush up on the areas where you're rusty.